Quantcast
Apogee 8000SE vs Prism Dream: Jules? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee 8000SE vs Prism Dream: Jules?
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Apogee 8000SE vs Prism Dream: Jules?

This probably one for Jules. What would you say where the sonic differences between the units. Am thinking of trading my AD8000SE

JamesCullen
Seabrite studios
Old 7th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
I own AD8000s but vote for the Prism ADA, which I frequently rent in nowadays. Relatively more true, transparent, real. Better image and precision. Less presence/high end loss when transfering from analog 2". YMMV.
Old 7th January 2003
Founder

I have

1 x Ad8000SE
1 x 16 ch Prism unit

I would say the Prisms have perhaps a tad less 'sheen' or gloss and a more 'surgical' sound in the HF than the Apogees.

Best loan a pair and see if you like em..
Old 8th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Best loan a pair and see if you like em..
Yes indeed!
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
new stuff

I have 2 8000SEs, a Trac2, a pair of Troisis, Digi and Manley converters. I've tried the Prisms and they sound great but the 8000SEs seem to have a tighter low end. Even better is the eveness of the Trac2. I get less 'gloss' and more of what's actually there. Of course at that level, everything is subjective.
For fans of Purple Power, there's a new , revolutionary master clock being unveiled at Namm this year. It disposes PLLs in favor of a DDS which is a digital loop that features adaptive loop filtering and will synch anything to anything. Six word clocks out, clocking @192k and on the fly format conversion. Cool.
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: new stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by chap

For fans of Purple Power, there's a new , revolutionary master clock being unveiled at Namm this year. It disposes PLLs in favor of a DDS which is a digital loop that features adaptive loop filtering and will synch anything to anything. Six word clocks out, clocking @192k and on the fly format conversion. Cool. [/B]
is it just a master clock unit or any new top of the line ad/da unit is coming on the namm show? pt hd direct hook up...i am still dreaming on that.
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
remember..the prism does 96 ..the apogee does not...and the new PTHD interface works great.
Old 9th January 2003
Founder

"pt hd direct hook up...i am still dreaming on that."

Ies just dreaming - Dig are comited to never alowing this to occur... for long

make alternate plans if I were you.

eg - you can hang anything 96k off a digital HD interface for not to much money...
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Iam no that sold on 96k. I have Protools HD and the projects that I have done in 96 sound no better than theo nes at 44.1 once they are on a CD which I believe is the medium that will stay for now as far as the public are concerned. I think the 192 interface has a tighter low end than the Apogee SE but the top end of the SE is better, the Crane Song HEDD convertors beat them both.

James Cullen
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
contact your dealer for a demo of the Prism ADA8 with direct connection to PTHD..when you do not rely on the PTHD interface (as you do with the Prism & AES) you can properly evaluate both the sonics of the conversion and clock independently of the Digi interfaces.BTW..when our Prism user utilised the Prism converter into the 192 via the AES...the improvement was inaudible...so removing this interface yeilded superior results
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
clock

The new Apogee clock will clock the entire system to DDL and discard PLLs. This new technology will allow for adaptive loop filtering to take place ( a sort of 'jam stipe' or code refresher equivilent of clocking) . No more synch dropouts.
It will also do format conversion on the fly.
Also, the TRAC2, Manley and Troisis all do 96k or better. All these converters sound different but better (without the mid bump and volume trick ) than my Digi box. These are companies that have an extensive background in the analog side of things and especially in the case of Apogee, the clocking side of things.Hence, tighter lows and more realistic imaging.

Here's a potential problem for Prism owners (which I think sound great). Being that Nasty Ole Digi has perpetrated their own groundbreaking (we have a PLL! welcome to the '90s) on everyone except Prism owners, it would seem like only a matter of time before they change the code for the 'hardware setup window' which would render the Prism useless until Prism designs a crack for the window and gets it to all owners. It seems like that could be a tireing game of cat and mouse that would result in lost work days and frustration. Does anyone think Digi will overlook the fact that Prism reverse engineered this and smile benevelently upon them?
It would be nice but it's wishful thinking. That's why they built the 'Digi Dongle'. Let's hope that they change their policy on outside converters so these conversations actually mean something.
cheers,
chap
Old 11th January 2003
Founder

I like 96k (I use it at mixdown / mastering)

I have yet to hear my Prisms at 96k.... I use em at 48k

I am keen too.....
πŸ“ Reply