Quantcast
Purchase a pro control or the new yet to be.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Purchase a pro control or the new yet to be..
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Purchase a pro control or the new yet to be..

Hello,
please pass along some opinions and advise. I am purchasing a pro tools hd III system and would like a control desk. The pro control is my choice at this point, however it is about 4-5 years old and there are indications Digidesign is working on a new control system. If this new desk is much more expensive pro control still is the choice, but the past has taught me as soon as I buy ANYTHING, the new most times cheaper and more powerfull model is for sale the next day.
Thanks in adevance for any input you may have.
Old 4th January 2003
Founder

I have neither heard nor seen on-line any reliable reconnaissance re any new product.

Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
renshen,

The PT HD III room at Sigma Sound here in Philly uses the Control|24 interface, and they are quite happy with it.

YMMV.
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
It is almost inconceivable that Digidesign is not working on a replacement for the ProControl. However, as was the case with the original ProControl, release dates are agonizingly ambiguous.

The Control 24, while not as explicitly "PRO," represents refinements over the aging ProControl, and far better bang-for-the-buck that extends beyond its rasher of meteocre mic pres.
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I've heard the same rumor. If you need to make a purchase now to get work done, one should never make the decision based on industry rumours, but instead make it based on how well currently-available gear will help you get the job done.

If you can afford to take a wait-and-see approach, it can never hurt. Something new coming out can also push down the prices of the existing stuff.

When I'm on Alsihad, the studio I work at uses a Control 24, and though I've read a bit of online griping about the faders feeling less than pro, I don't have a problem with it. Certainly enough control surface to do major projects on IMHO.

A big part of it depends on how much the "big console feel" is important to your workflow. I'm a keyboards / MIDI guy who got into hard disk recording when it got affordable, so even mixing with a mouse has never been a big deal for me.
๐Ÿ“ Reply