Quantcast
HELP from my New York brothers - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HELP from my New York brothers
Old 4th January 2003
Founder

Well that should better inform folks...

How about the space you feel you need?

What dimentions could you get by with OK?

What do you record?

Piano? Live drums? Whole band at once?

Do you own / need a lot of stuff set up at all times?

------------------------------------------

Personally I get by with a live room just a fraction bigger than a drum kit. It's my. Drum/Gtr/vox/ bass/'everything' recording space.. I organised variable accoustics with removable panells. The Control room has a mini kitchen in it.. I record for major releases in my place as well as demos. I book larger studio spaces as & when I need em, so I figure I have a large studio anytime I want it! I am a tad shy of quality 'chill out' space I admit.. (must get that playstation 2 soon!)
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
My apartment is @700 square feet....the room I work in is 400 sqaure feet with 9'6" ceilings. The room sounds great. As I have mentioned many times I record guitars through amps, Hammond organ, entire horn sections (on occasions) live drums (on occasions), etc. I have never recorded a 'band' in here, but I would certainly like to be able to do so. As I said, the idea is to move forward.
Benjy
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, haven't we come a long way from the Rich Clare days?
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Benjy,

There is another option:

Move to Philly.
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
Benjy,

There is another option:

Move to Philly.
Sorry Curve,

But there is no comparison. I have nothing against Philly(actually NJ and Conneticut are closer) but once you get used to the city, everything pales in comparison.

His situation is unique in that logistics,vibe,talent and equipment are vital.
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
do what i did-

buy a house.

mine is in LIC, 2 blocks from 6 trains. It pays for itself. a (legal) 3 family house, with a studio in the basement. u can make music at any time of the night, and LIC is coming way, way up. one of Met Life's main offices are here as well as PS1, MoMa, etc (more artist inclined buildings mean more artists, mean more $)

I took a mortgage a year ago and have not worked a single day since. my tenants pay for eveything. silly stuff like cell phone, car insurance, food. all the money u make on top is just aaavvvy...

heh
Old 7th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I'd reiterate Greenpoint and additionally suggest Red Hook. Get in before it's too late. Oh, wait; it's too late.
Keep us posted; I'm always looking myself.
Old 8th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by JoHoozaFats...
do what i did-

buy a house.

mine is in LIC, 2 blocks from 6 trains. It pays for itself. a (legal) 3 family house, with a studio in the basement. u can make music at any time of the night, and LIC is coming way, way up. one of Met Life's main offices are here as well as PS1, MoMa, etc (more artist inclined buildings mean more artists, mean more $)
What do the buildings tenents think of the noise and hours that come with a studio. I doubt you could track drums at 1am but that would be great if you could.
Old 8th January 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
I am now a long way from NYC. Maybe your lawyer could get his clients to go to Italy, Ireland is pretty hip too and you don't have to learn a new language, almost.
I remember that in the early 90's when they ran out of room to put criminals, they got these big barges and made prisons in them.
Maybe you could find yourself a barge or some other type of floating house and plunk it in the East River!! It won't ever have to travel, just float. You can even launch it with a bottle of champagne. How cool is that? If it works in Paris it might work in NY!! No neighbors, great parties etc...? Unique Vibe...je ne sais pas quoi ...mystique etc...? If you end up doing this invite me, I'll be there.
Old 8th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I suppose anything within walking distance from Balduccis' is out of the question?
Unfortunately, Balducci's downtown just went under.
Sad sign of the times.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
What do the buildings tenents think of the noise and hours that come with a studio. I doubt you could track drums at 1am but that would be great if you could.
****, man. i can track drums at 4am if i wanted. hell, i could track drums IN their bedroom. if they didn't like it, then i would kick them the the **** out.

no, i'm just kidding.

i would never track in their bedroom, only their kitchen...
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by COCO
Unfortunately, Balducci's downtown just went under.
Sad sign of the times.

Ah geez, I was out of town for 5 days and they went under? Are you sure? Last month I found out my favorite pizza place in Times Square lost their lease.......
Ah, geez.......
Old 10th January 2003
Founder

Wow!

Sure changes my location plans!

Old 10th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Jules, I'm beggin' ya, please, don't become an upper west side snob!

The point is, for what its worth, Balducci's (not a recording studio) was at the 6th ave location for maybe 80 or so years.

Oh, Jules, do you know Owen from Arlene?

-COCO
Old 10th January 2003
Founder

Ashley, I find it as dead as a dodo up there and hence boring.. But it makes for some peacefull mornings as I ratchet up the caffeine levels for rushing around till the early hours!

I lived at Riverside & 103 for 3 years as a child.. I crash at West end ave and 104 (Godfathers place) when in town. but zip downtown to all the action ASAP!

Old 9th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How's the search going?
Old 12th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

or are all the landlords total weasles?

For the most part yes. Anyone who knows otherwise and is not related to the straightforward fair landlord speak up. I love a good fairy tale.

As for space. I knew some girls who lived in one of those converted factories in Williamsburg. It's right near the water, next to a recycling transfer station. Sorry I don't know the address. I usually only went there late at night and wasn't really looking at street signs if you know what I mean. Anyway each "loft" was a giant cement rectangle with the door and windows on opposite short walls. Maybe they also are avoiding musician/recording situations there but the walls were concrete so with some creative iso construction you might be able to make something work. If anyone else knows of this place maybe they can elaborate.
Old 12th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

GLOBAL PRICE HIKES FOR ALL ENGINEERS & PRODUCERS!

Yeah..you could put me on that roster. I'll sign up.

Jules made a comment about Benjy getting a spot in another studio....that's a good idea. Why don't you see if you can get a room at one of the sound kitchens that would be your room. Cut them some percentage of the profits or something to that effect. A situation like that could work out great for all parties involved.
Old 12th May 2004
Gear Guru

If you're doing well at your location, why not pony up the 2,500 a month.
Thats still cheap for a living and working locale in town. Odds are to have a space to live at and even a control room in town your going to pay that.
If your not making enough to cover that, you're probably going to have to visit the boroughs. If you have a client base that comes to you for you,
moving out should'nt be a big deal. I used to be the head engineer at a place in town. when I left, I opened my own place in a house I rented in Bayside about 20 minutes from mid town. Record clients of mine came out to Bayside and my overhead was reasonable. After 10 years my landlord raised my rent to the level of a mortgage payment so I bought a house in Elmont which is 10 minutes from where I was. I have the same client base and was able to build a proper place. I'm just about as close to town as I was which was key.
I also refinanaced last year and now my mortgage is less than I could rent for. Also since my overhead is low, and I own the gear out right, I can be competitive with rates and not have to take every crappy session that comes my way.
As far as being in town goes, while it certainly is more convenient for clients
being a mid level facility in town is tough. As a matter of fact, in this economy
owning any place in town is tough. I know someone who has a world class place with a 9000J room who last year had an ad in the voice to give engineering lessons. Unique is struggling, Avatar has been struggling.
If you can make it in town, good for you, for me I'll stay in Elmont
Old 12th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
bobby nathan doesn't appear to be struggling...
Old 12th May 2004
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by ajcamlet
bobby nathan doesn't appear to be struggling...
Bobby and JoAnn are very smart people who have made alot of money
and been in this business for along time. I'm sure they'll be in for as long as they want. That doesnt mean they've got it easy right now. I don't think there are too many places in town that do.
Old 12th May 2004
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Musiclab
I know someone who has a world class place with a 9000J room who last year had an ad in the voice to give engineering lessons.
If this is who i think you are talking about(Dave at CR), he is doing great and is thinking of expanding his business. He feels kinda limited by his location.

I wouldn't say just because he has classes there that he is doing bad, just that its an untapped market. I know a lot of studios that have done this by the way.

Its just another avenue to make money and bottomn line when you own a studio as a business, you always have to remember first that it is a business.

If you treat it any other way you won't survive.
Old 13th May 2004
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
If this is who i think you are talking about(Dave at CR), he is doing great and is thinking of expanding his business. He feels kinda limited by his location.

I wouldn't say just because he has classes there that he is doing bad, just that its an untapped market. I know a lot of studios that have done this by the way.

Its just another avenue to make money and bottomn line when you own a studio as a business, you always have to remember first that it is a business.

If you treat it any other way you won't survive.
\

It's not Dave, it's a different place, my friend never had to resort to teaching, he was doing a ton of records. My point is times are tighter than they have ever been. The NY scene which has been a heavy hip hop thing for a while now, is changing now that alot of producers and artist have their own PT rigs and are doing more work at home. Smart creative guys are going to do what they have to so their business will thrive. Giving lessons is something I've thought about every time its gotten slow here. Luckily I have'nt had to.
I think its harder than ever to keep a place going in town. I think if Benjy's
business can handle a 2,500 rent he should stay where he is. If he can't
by the time he has a place to live and space to work he's probably in for that
anyway, unless he can find a place outside manhattan.
πŸ“ Reply