What to do in this situation? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to do in this situation?
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
What to do in this situation?

I'll be recording a band in my studio to mix it later in a better studio with more possibilities (read: more and better gear).

I'll be tracking with my Tascam 2524, Joe Meek VC6q into the 001 44.1K/24bit.

My mics: MXL V67, MXL 603, Senn 441, Senn 604kit, AT 3525, AT ATM25 and of course a Shure 57.

We'll mix in this studio going out from PT (I don't know yet what kind of converters they have) into a D&R Octagon and with a whole bunch of gear (Lex 480, Neve 9098, Eventides, etc.).

The main question is about the vocals actually . Should I send the vocal tracks (or any other tracks) thru the neve (let's say) to get a "better" sounding track?

If yes, how should I proceed during tracking? Should I still get the hotter I can into the computer? Should I track it softer?

Any comments are welcome!

Thanks again!
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
observe 0dBVU.
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re: What to do in this situation?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
I'll be recording a band in my studio to mix it later in a better studio with more possibilities (read: more and better gear).

I'll be tracking with my Tascam 2524, Joe Meek VC6q into the 001 44.1K/24bit.

My mics: MXL V67, MXL 603, Senn 441, Senn 604kit, AT 3525, AT ATM25 and of course a Shure 57.

We'll mix in this studio going out from PT (I don't know yet what kind of converters they have) into a D&R Octagon and with a whole bunch of gear (Lex 480, Neve 9098, Eventides, etc.).

The main question is about the vocals actually . Should I send the vocal tracks (or any other tracks) thru the neve (let's say) to get a "better" sounding track?

If yes, how should I proceed during tracking? Should I still get the hotter I can into the computer? Should I track it softer?

Any comments are welcome!

Thanks again!
Is this Amek or Neve?

For vocals you do whatever it takes to make them sound great(9098 or not).

Like Mike said observe 0db. On PT i think its -14dbfs(depends on how your converter is calibrated).
Old 2nd January 2003
One with big hooves

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re: What to do in this situation?

If your really going to do that I'd observe 0VU going in. It'll make your life a hell of a lot easier later when the big bucks are flying in the bigger studio. That may be but usually isn't as hot as you can possibly print.

But, why not track at the better studio and mix at your place? Given the option, I'd rather record at a better place. Or maybe cut the basics at the big place, do overdubs at your place and then go back to the mothership to mix. Or, find a room that's a bit less and do the whole thing there. You can always mix and remix for as long as you need but you only have one shot at getting it down right. Also, I hate going to new rooms to mix with a limited time frame, like mixing 3 songs a day. Chances are pretty good that at the end of the first day I'll want to hang myself because I was figuring out the room and didn't know what was going on until I got in my car with the CDR for the ride home. I've done it before.
Old 2nd January 2003
urumita

๐ŸŽง 15 years
The more complicated you make your project, the less you'll be able to concentrate on quality. Make sure that your group can hear themselves well, that the sounds you're making fit the song, the group is really hyped on it and you're ready to go on the file management aspect. Don't worry about things that make little difference, do the best you can with what you've got and concentrate on the performance and the uniqueness* of each tune.
Don't change the signal chain from scratch vocals to the overdubs, record the rehearsals, you never know. Set up for every sound first, if you don't have enough channels do recalls the old fashion way, it's not good to slow down a group when they're hot. Lots of groups are used to play in sets, find a way to record continueously and chop up the takes later if this is the case.
If you need the 9098 rent it for the sessions.
It is a good idea to do most of you're mixing at home for basic balances without alot of effects, this way you can walk into the big studio with the mix 90% done and do final tweeking and sweetening with the big stuff. The best way to do this is to make all the automation at home and save the EQ, compression and spacial processing when you have the choice of gear and monitoring at the big studio, set all the channel faders on the board set to zero and go.

Don't record with compression, it's undoable, digital is very quiet and compression can be added later. you can use it for the vocals to help the performance.
For 0dBVU you'll need a VU meter, the meters in side PT are peak meters, I don't think that you can calibrate the 001 so you will have to do some tests. For 0 dBVU you'll need a VU meter, PT has peak meters. At minus 14dBfs the peaks end up being at minus 5.
But you can probably fly by the seat of your pants and have it turn out OK, just make sure it sounds how you want it to, you can adjust it at the studio if you need to.
buon anno
๐Ÿ“ Reply