Quantcast
Tannoy? Am i being bad? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tannoy? Am i being bad?
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Tannoy? Am i being bad?

HeyYa'all I'm having a retro attack. I've been mixing in a smallish Control Room & have recently moved to a much larger one. In the small room I was using Tannoy SRM 10b's & I transfered them to the new room for some continuity. I eventually found that my mixes were a bit bottom heavy. I also own a pair of Tannoy HPD 385 (15") in Arden boxes. I tried them in the larger room & they sound fantastic. Maybe too fantastic. I certainly don't need a sub. Is anyone still using big monitors to mix on? I don't mix at high levels & these boxes are very efficient.

thanks for some input
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Tannoy? Am i being bad?

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackfoot
HeyYa'all I'm having a retro attack. I've been mixing in a smallish Control Room & have recently moved to a much larger one. In the small room I was using Tannoy SRM 10b's & I transfered them to the new room for some continuity. I eventually found that my mixes were a bit bottom heavy.

This usually means the there are too many reflective surfaces in the mixing area(ie wood walls and or untreated hard surfaces). They tend to make the mixes brighter than normal when mixing, which in turn tempts you to add more bass or less highs.

I also own a pair of Tannoy HPD 385 (15") in Arden boxes. I tried them in the larger room & they sound fantastic. Maybe too fantastic. I certainly don't need a sub. Is anyone still using big monitors to mix on? I don't mix at high levels & these boxes are very efficient.

thanks for some input

Mixing is such a personal thing. If it works for you keep doing it. Most "big monitors" systems in studios here in NYC suck(but that's because they are fatigued from all of the Rap/Hip Hop).

You can get used to anything as long as you can compensate for it later. But are you willing to take the chance?

I hate Urei's but they were the defacto standard here in the city for years(80's and early 90's). When I listen to them now, its hard to believe I got anything decent out of them.

The secret is the interaction between the speaker,you and the room. If all of those elements are working right, then you should have something you like.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…