Quantcast
What instruments do you play - play at.... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What instruments do you play - play at....
Old 31st December 2002
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another drummer here!! But I can play the guitar (electric and acoustic, which is a different discipline ) and bass.
I can play some keyboards and I wish I could play them better!
A Hammond gives me a............... sometimes.heh
Old 31st December 2002
Don
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin

How about asking it this way - what instruments to you feel comfortable charging at least union scale to play, knowing that you're skills are worth that price? Or what instruments would you feel good about playing in a room full of knowledgable musicians?
Or that you could do a live gig with and not hide..

1st Guitar,2cd Bass........................ that is all
Old 31st December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I took lessons as a kid on violin, trumpet, and piano. Of the three, I only maintain any competency on piano, and not much there. I've played guitar since I was 12. I'm not the guitarist I should be for all those years, though I was pretty good in college when I was putting a lot of time into it.

I've played with keyboards, digital and analog synths, including the ARP 2600 (fun as ****, in a science lab sort of way). I've had basses around since high school, and managed to fiddle with them credibly despite lacking solid technique, and I'd like to get up to snuff and play it in a band.

I keep trying on mandolin, but I have big fingers, don't like the range, and usually am fighting cheap instruments. I want to try at bouzouki, to get the intervals in a range and size I'd be more comfortable at.

I wish I could isolate my limbs to play drums. I do have a few pieces of fidget percussion (shakers, tambourine) that I fidget with more than I record them.

Bear
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Keys, singing and percs here. I don't "play" gtr as per Dave's definition but still fumble on it enough for songwriting and arranging gtr parts for other "players"...
Old 1st January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Play - Guitar

Wished I could play (in order)

Bejeweled Noseflute
Bowed Psaltery
Dumbek

Forestville Sydney Australia
Email: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.gtamusic.com
Old 1st January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm one of those drummers who fell into engineering.

I want to play serious rhythm guitar. Just knowing as many chords as I can learn would probably be enough. I think the rhythmic part would be easy, coming from a drummer's perspective. The hard part would be getting my fingers in all those crazy contorted positions and being able to change chords at will.

After that I'd like to learn bass, then keys. On keys, I'm already sort of self-taught, having grown up with a piano in the house. The chords I hit, I have no idea what most of them are, or even if they're chords at all.

I'm proficient and patient enough (usually) to compose my own stuff and my ear is good, meaning I can pick out the key and most notes that have any business being in the same tune.

My weakness is that except for drumming, I don't really understand what I'm doing despite being able to do it. If I took a music theory and composition class, learned to read music and not just rhythm, I might abandon this recording thing altogether and get trapped inside a dark cave all day and night for a different reason. Making money would probably be more difficult, though.
Old 1st January 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
Oh come on!
That counts out even my main instrumenttut
Especially the bit about a room full of knowledgeable musicians.........nightmare
Oh, no - that's the fun part! I've always tried to be the least competent musician on the band, if I'm hiring the players. It can't help but improve my skills.

Now if you're a bass player and want to be paranoid about how well you play, check out http://www.davepomeroy.com/allbass.shtml for the All Bass Orchestra - not only a room full of knowledgable musicians, but they all play the same instrument that you do... It was a fun band to play in.
Old 2nd January 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Piano / Keyboards; I was a piano performance major at Winthrop University with a vocal minor. Was lead singer for a mid-80's band 'nearly' signed to A&M (sigh). The band reincarnated in 1995 as "Man On Fire" (www.manonfireband.com) so if any really smart A&R people are cruising this site (HA! ) they should check it out

Now own a studio, produce/engineer local artists, compose for tv/film/theater, and still trying to get that elusive perfect deal for Man On Fire rollz rollz rollz

jho
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bass is the main thing. Some guitar, percussion, singing, little bit of keys, simple drums. Oh yea, harmonica!
Old 3rd January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by 5down1up
2 drumsound :

i never3 met a drummer who could remember a 4 minute song heh without rehearsing for years .

" well , i need to write the kicks down " grggt

but i am impressed that a lot of you are playing instruments .

over here , people who just love doing music are hard to find .

either they cant play and are funny , or they can play and are screwed up ... or they want to produce a hit from the first note you are playing .

any sessions you guys played i can listen to ???
You need to ply with some better drummers!
Here's a link to a record I produced. Click on the first track "I Woke Up." I'm playing drums on that tune.
http://2likeminds.com/samples_nonflash.htm
Old 5th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I play guitar, bass and drums to a pretty reasonable standard...although for years I'd never play anywhere near clients unless it was a "me plus singer" type production and that's what I was supposed to be doing. One of my resolutions this year to have more fun...and I seem to remember playing was a LOT of fun, so I plan to use some downtime by making a lot of noise at some point.

I play keyboards like a monkey, which is ideal for dance music
(Just joking !) (but seriously..have you heard mampi swift ? )
πŸ“ Reply