Australian Music Industry - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Australian Music Industry
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Australian Music Industry

Hi,

I am really keen to learn about the industry in Australia.

How big, feel, vibe, growing, shrinking, closed, open -minded, lots of studios, not enough studios,saturated, room to grow, international collaboration etc?

I have never visited Australia but have my first visit booked for April 2003. Heading for Brisbane, maybe Melbourne. Have family in Brisbane and Perth.

Could someone who lives there give me an impression? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Nik
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Nik....

The industry is in a stagnated position

Lots of little private '001' type studios.

People seem to have the impression that u can record 'killer' drums @ home.. lol

We are decended from convicts so we dont like to pay for good quality..lol if we could im sure we would steal it... hahaha

Having said that there are some VERY good engineers around.

Melbourne is the only city with a SSL 9000 and its a brandnew 72ch K series. Also in the same complex there is a 60 ch VR, a 48 + 16 stereo 'Al Smart' modded E series and a nother 48ch e.
www.singsing.com.au

THere is also a nice little studio with 32ch G+ which my mate runs. Also there is the place i used to work @ which is one of the few vintage neves left in Australia.. its way funky!

Sydney has an Neve 88R, 64 ch G+, 32G+, 48CH E and V3 plus many other mid range consoles. Sydney has some very nice tracking rooms for drums. Unfortunately Festival studios has closed and it had a 36 Ch 1081 type classic neve, but the dweeb from 'School of audio Engineering' bought it and moved it to the sweet tropical surrounds of Byron Bay. Byron Bay has a V3.....www.rockinghorsestudios.com.au

Brisbane.. is '001' city..lol... every man and his dog has one ands there are STAX of lil home type studios. Only 'sunshine' studios is really worth a mention at this point is has a neve and recently refurbed/recapped 1081 neve

As for Adelaide and Perth i have not been there much so i cant really comment with authority...but i do know that KING DOM runs a nice neve place in Perth.

Any more questions pls let me know...

Hope it helps

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 31st December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hey Wiggy,

Thanks so much for the info! Gives me a good idea of the lay of the land.

What are budgets like in Oz? Are record companies really behind the Australian acts or do they mostly make their money from foreign CD distribution?

I have heard that the Australian people are really proud of their music/bands. True?

Or..............is everything from "abroad" viewed as better?

I hope this is not the case!

Hey, I am a vintage nut of sorts. have 1073s,1081s, M49, U67 etc.

In the new way of things have the api's. avalons and my favorite piece of gear at the moment....Alan Smart C2. Kills.

Cheers,

Nik
Old 31st December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Nik here again.....

This site list Australian studios etc.

http://www.1212.com/rec/austral/home2.html

Interesting.
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can search google.com.au and find a lot of studios.
I always find little studios around that I never knew off.
There is a high turnover of the smaller ones, a lot of guys do SAE,JMC, tech schools come out find out there is no work, so setup a mackie and 001 studio and go broke. One small space is up for lease again, I think its the forth time in 2 years.

I agree with Wiggy there are a heap of studios around, a lot lower end places. The ones with rehersal spaces as well last. There are a lot of bands around too, only problem is a good precentage of these bands are weekenders with low budgets and high hopes.

There are a lot of bands doing it for themselves with cheap DAW's as Wiggy said.

If your down in Melb give me a yell if you like
Old 31st December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hi Nik,

this is a very interesting thread you started, as I am hinking right now of moving to down under as well.

I am not from Australia, but I`ve just been there for 2 month working ( engineering and programming ) for an american producer who moved to Australia. I`ve mainly been to Sydney, so I can`tell about the scene somewherelese.

All my experiences are based on these two month and on the people I`ve been talking to.
I don`t wanna offend any aussie mate - HI WIGGY - maybe it was just that way in my case. Wiggy, please correct me if I`m wrong and share your thoughts about my experience.

First off all, A&R people are the same all around the world !!!
I was working on major projects for three EMI signed Bands and all of them were on realy tight budgets.
One band already has a release in the U.K. with a big publishing advance for shure - and that`s the band who had the smallest studio budget.
Budgets are going down everywhere, that`s O.K.
Old 31st December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Sorry screwed my first post.

..... I found it way more surprising that they didn`t realize the artist potential. That band got already hyped everywhere, a release in the U.K., a pretty big publishing advance and they weren`t able to put enough money into the project for a decent production.
Advances are really tight in Germany, too, but once a band get hyped, no matter who good they really are, companies are still willing to put big money in them.

I think Australians are looking a lot to America and to an "american sound" and they rather spend twice the money for an american guy than half of it for an australian.
I agree that there are a lot of talented people around there, but for that reason it gets pretty hard to find guys with experiences.
This isn`t their fault at all, it`s more a fault in of the companies sending their acts to america.

I don`t agree with the nice tracking rooms in Sydney :
for one project we were looking for a big drum room to record fat rock drums. Only 3 studios had that kind o room :
301 was booked out, anoher only had an old SSL and ONE Manley compressor ( hate SSL`s for tracking ) so we went to a studio called milk bar.
It all sounded great before arriving : 16 channels of 1064`s, a big room, vintage mics, etc... but from the 4 days we booked, we were only able to track one day as half of the studio didn`t work.
It took them one day to get the mics up on the machine, mics were
dying during the session. Other mics they had on their list weren`t availble. I had horrible assitants who were not able to even get a bass DI signal on the board.
I had similar experiences with other studios where machines weren`t aligned proberly, 2" didn`t have reference tones on it, the assitant didn`t know how the patchbay works, etc...

What I generally really liked way more than in Europe is the whole vibe there : It`s way more relaxter, I met really cool people and some really good bands.
It`s still a way bigger country for bands than is Germany.

If I go there I see it as a challenge to make it in a country where you get platinum for 70.000 sold copies ( it`s 400.000 in Germany, 1.000.000 in the US ).

Again, don`t wanna piss you Australians off and I am looking forward for your thoughts about my experience.

P.S.: It is a great country to live in
Old 31st December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'd like to back up everything Clipgod has said......more later.
Great thread by the way. I'm another one who is hoping to relocate Down Under sometime soon. I wont be competing for studio space however.
Lets get this out of the way....
Australia is a great country, the people are genorous with their help and friendship and I think they are open minded.
In addition, it is a pretty small country (per capita) and very isolated. Therefore it is a big deal to spend a lot of money on home grown projects and on high end recording facilities.
I have a friend who is a very accomplished producer and who has produced some big Aussie albums. He out and out advised me not to go there. He finds it very frustrating. He is used to the US or London studio scene where the studios are well maintained, anything rentalwise is just a phone call away and usually arrives within the hour. He had a real tough time at the studio he was working at in Sydney the last time he was there.
It's unfortunate because I think Australia could promote itself as a fabulous location for recording work - like Monserrat or the Carribean.
Apart from that I've been researching the musicians lot.
I'm told, by my publishing company, that composers will work for little or nothing at all. There are so many people chasing the same job. I think it's probably the same deal for session musicians.
Finally, Australians seem to be relying on chance in order to find the next INXS or Midnight Oil. There is little or no encouragement for kids to educate themselves. In the US they've had Berklee (for years). In the UK we have the Fame Academy and pretty much all the music schools have rock music courses. In Oz they're still studying the influences of Balinese village music on the composers of the 20th century and the like.....
There are fabulous musicians Down Under and friendly guy's like Wiggy and DaveMc. There is so much potential ........but a long way to go IMHO.
Sorry
Old 31st December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hey,

Thanks for the input.

I get around a fair bit and at the moment am sitting in L.A. Off to Nashville next week for 5 days then L.A and back home to South Africa.

I have a busy and thriving studio in Durban and have clients out from London, Nashville, L.A and once from Sydney!

We do the project and link it with Safari, surfing etc. Really fun and productive.

I have always been curious about Oz..............most of my wifes family are in Australia as I have said.

I lived in L.A for 4 years, studied composition and engineering at Grove in L.A. lots of vibe in L.A but the lifestyle sucks (for me personally that is...no offence intended). I can't do the 2 hours a day in a car thing.

I live in a great city and am 20 minutes from the beach (like surfing) and my studio and home overlook a large canyon. Have monkeys, zebra etc. Seriously. All in all I count myself blessed.

Where am I going with all this?

Well, quality of life for myself and family is real important. We place a high priority on spending time with people, barbecueing around the pool, on the beach, camping etc. Lots of outdoor activity. In short....having a life!

Australia has always struck me as having similar values. Yes it is unique but it helps to live in a country with shared values. The only way to get a feel for a place is to visit and communicate with people. Thanks so much guys for taking the time to give me some insight!

Work hard and play hard. Not work, work,work...die.

At this point I spend about 3 months of each year abroad. Mostly in US and am doing some work for some major labels. Been a hard nut to crack but seems to be paying off.

I have a good friend in L.A who is doing well and is from Sydney. He is mainly in the CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) music scene. I am going to pick his brain although it may not be helpful to get insight from someone who has left and may be vary negative!

Working hard, being real possitive and supportive of local projects is a major key to having things happen. It takes more than one or two people though.

Aaah, I ramble on.

I just checked on Virgin Blue for faires from Brisbane to Melbourne.
I am deffinately going to come and visit. Good to go out and have a beer? Keen?

Nik
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you do make it to Melbourne, by all means give me a call and drop by.

details on my website
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey nik

yeah, very interesting thread. i just arrived here from london 3 weeks ago. i kinda thought we'd end up melbourne (very cool city) but as it's turned out, we're starting off in brisbane (my wife's family live here).

i've played safe so far in that i've just got a job here selling gear (pro tools, outboard) and then at least of got some beer credits coming in. from there i hope to meet a few simarly minded folk and see what happens.

i haven't spent much time in brisbane itself as i've been living on an island off the coast with the in-laws, but i have talked to a few people, gone 'round the record/ gear shops to see what the vibe is. after coming from london where there was always work, it's a little daunting. the local music scene, on first impressions, is pretty flacid! most of the bands about seem to be playing all the old standards ( the surf boys love it!). dance music? hard to find, and certainly nothing of note. studios? all seem to be fairly small, project studios (001's and mackie 8 busses). down the coast there is byron bay which has quite a few studios, some look funky but my initial enquries haven't produced anything..... it looks like a closed shop on the work that is about. and as everyone else has pointed out, budgets here are small.

the only other thing you'll have to content with is the aussies going on and on and on about how f**king good they are at (every) sport!

don't let me put you off though....it's a lovely place, the peopple are cool and i have only been here a minute, i'm sure it'll look better to me once i've met a few people and found the lay of the land.

i'm off to new zealand in a couple of weeks then once i'm back, i'll be moving into brisbane proper, should be by late febuary. then hopefully my toys will all arrive safely from the uk and i'll be able to sleep soundly again.

if you need any more info, jus' let me know

in a bit

entropy
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks!

Nik
Old 3rd January 2003
lnd
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Nik - go to Melbourne - thats the place to be for music makers!!!
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hello from Brazil

I was invited to go to Australiaa by late 2003/early 2004..
I am surprised that te Asutralian scene is very similar to the Brazilian one. Lots of Digi 001/01v/Mackie/Behringer cheap gear and sound.
Lots of mouse guys with very little knowledege about recording engineering and so..
I even considered living for a short time at this nice country of yours. Seems people are very very nice and also, the weather is very similar to the one at the lace I live.
I will look forward for you guys!
Nice 2003
AlΓ©cio
Old 3rd January 2003
lnd
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by davemc
You can search google.com.au and find a lot of studios.
I always find little studios around that I never knew off.
There is a high turnover of the smaller ones, a lot of guys do SAE,JMC, tech schools come out find out there is no work, so setup a mackie and 001 studio and go broke. One small space is up for lease again, I think its the forth time in 2 years.

I agree with Wiggy there are a heap of studios around, a lot lower end places. The ones with rehersal spaces as well last. There are a lot of bands around too, only problem is a good precentage of these bands are weekenders with low budgets and high hopes.

There are a lot of bands doing it for themselves with cheap DAW's as Wiggy said.

If your down in Melb give me a yell if you like
Which space would that be ?? I am interested
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ind, sent you a PM with details, Wiggy is familar with the place. its a 2 room place was up in Mar02 and again now. Was a Midi studio a few years back as well, which for its size would be great for.
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Jumping in a little late here but here goes....

I think every place on the planet will have it's pros and cons. The greatest disadvantage Australia has is it's distance from the US and European continents where most of the action is.

I believe pound for pound we can match it match it with the best of them. Unfortunately we work with limited budgets for the most part. For example a recent Australian act on a major label spent a grand total of about $40,000 USD for tracking, mixing and mastering. Everything was done in Australia and has had exceptional reviews, but no real airplay on commercial radio. Then again they are not a commercially driven band.

From what I can asscertain an average album budget in the US for a new act might be around $120-150,000 USD. If that kind of money was being spent here in Oz, we would definitely be able to compare with our overseas counterparts. You can make great records on a limited time and dollar budget (I've heard plenty), but here's where I think another major problem is....American record companies in particular may look at an Australian act and even though it sounded great, they insisted it had to be re-mixed by the mixer du jour and mastered by their favorite boy. When you hear the results of the "new improved record", you stand there scratching your head. I've been affected by this phenomenon 5 times now. While I don't like it, I understand it's all about marketing the "cool" names. I just feel good in the knowledge that I can cut records just as well (or loud) as is the request is often by the overseas guys. Jeez I hate that!! Previously you could just speculate.

I've been lucky enough to have my suite located at Sing Sing and to have met and done some work with these big gun engineers. Most of the feedback has been favorable as far as the facility, the city (Melbourne) and the vibe was concerned.

Distance hass ALWAYS been the main issue engineers bring up...."great place you've got here and I love your city, but the 23 hour flight is just BRUTAL!!!"

I could write a virtual essay on it, but I may put a few people's noses outta joint. One thing we do have is great lifestyle. One of the factors that made my wife decide against us moving to NYC even though I had a job offer and had spent a bit of time there. No regrets from my end.

Anyone who does visit Melbourne is welcome to visit and have a beer.

I don't know Dave Mc and Wiggy from a bar of soap, but then again they probably haven't heard of me either. That's not an unusual phenomenon here. I do know Adam Cal. He's a cool guy. Haven't seen him in ages. He has made some great records on virtually no budget.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
There is another factor of importance as well that I forgot to mention.

In Australia we have to pay pretty much what you guys everywhere pay for your gear. I don't know what the parity is like with rentals etc. NYC for instance is outrageous especially in midtown.

However we in Oz cannot charge as much as what you guys would. In asking many of my mastering contempories who are similarly equipped (Manley, Cranesong, Apogee, Millenia, Neve, ATR, Duntech etc), they charge at least double of my top rate.

You do the math. There is a new K-series SSKL here with Pultec, Tubetech, Manley, Fairchild, Neve, Avalon, Neumann, AMS, API and a host of other outboard gear, not to mention 3 HD3s, ATRs 2" analogue etc etc which will go at best 50% of a similarly equipped studio in say LA or NYC.

Makes it harder to maintain a high end facility when your return is less. Hell we're in it for love.
Who else would employ us!!!

The new room will be ticking over but as someone correctly stated there is great opportunity in marketing the facility as great holiday destination.
It's not all bush, kangaroos and crocodiles. We are a city of about 4 million, so it does compare to many urban centres around the world. It's also a very safe place too.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Budget, Whats that! Isnt that what the goverment does every now and then.

Budget is as rare as holidays, or good looking chick bands to record.

Tony.

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Australian Music Industry-tape-room.jpg  
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Very tidy Adam,

To get that, there must have SOME budget, unless you've been following trucks around

Try and download a krack of that!!

Well done mate.

Please feel free to drop by.

I will contact you off list.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi Tony,

Thanks so much for you input and summary on the Oz scene. I totaly understand where you are comming from re: budgets etc. I have just returned from Nashville (had some mastering done) and had spent some time hanging with other mix engineeers/producers. They just freak out when I mention what I have to pay for gear and that I cannot charge the same rates they do.

I am based promarily in South Africa. City of 4 million. 22 hours of flight time from L.A.

Thanks again.

Keep some beers on ice. I will see you in April. Thanks for the offer.

Nik
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
No problem Nik,

I'll ice the beers and you can bring some Mainstay rum. Howzat sound??

Where did you master in Nashville? Have you been to Masterfonics / Emerald since Glenn Meadows left?
Kewl facility. Shame about Glenn....

Cheers,
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hey,

I do most of my work at Mastermix - Ken Love.

Indeed a terrible shame...........

Heading off to Namm on Thursday (L.A). Not sure how to feel. I usually hate Namm. I have avoided it since 1995.

Hopefully I get some info. etc and manage to leave without being deaf

Keep well,

Nik
Old 14th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipgod

for one project we were looking for a big drum room to record fat rock drums. Only 3 studios had that kind o room :
301 was booked out, anoher only had an old SSL and ONE Manley compressor ( hate SSL`s for tracking ) so we went to a studio called milk bar.
It all sounded great before arriving : 16 channels of 1064`s, a big room, vintage mics, etc... but from the 4 days we booked, we were only able to track one day as half of the studio didn`t work.
dying during the session. Other mics they had on their list weren`t availble. I had horrible assitants who were not able to even get a bass DI signal on the board.
I had similar experiences with other studios where machines weren`t aligned proberly, 2" didn`t have reference tones on it, the assitant didn`t know how the patchbay works, etc...

Jesus, Nico! didja havta remind me about that? and the kicker was after this horrible experience at milkbar, the owner offered me free time to make up for it! yeah, like i wanna step into the same dawg turd twice!

but now phil punch owns milkbar and i'm sure it's cool.

australian music industry? to quote my own signature? "Industry? It's more of a knife fight!"
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
the aust govt has a lot to answer for here.
the music industry was much better in the 60s-80s.
the govt couldn't tax it because a lot of payment were in cash.
so, they planned a "recession" in the early nineties.
this got rid of a lot of the big players here.
everyone went on the dole.
when the "recession" ended, there was no work for musos - all the venues put poker machines in and bands stopped being hired.
the country is now run by a monoply called the liberals.
there is no democracy here - just racism and no real work for muso's.
stay away if you don't want to become the next victim. DJR.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Robinson
when the "recession" ended, there was no work for musos - all the venues put poker machines in and bands stopped being hired.
Nice post, Dave. Very positive.

Should I send the razor blades in the post to slit your wrists now?

What are you gonna do about it?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipgod

..... I found it way more surprising that they didn`t realize the artist potential. That band got already hyped everywhere, a release in the U.K., a pretty big publishing advance and they weren`t able to put enough money into the project for a decent production.
Advances are really tight in Germany, too, but once a band get hyped, no matter who good they really are, companies are still willing to put big money in them.

I think Australians are looking a lot to America and to an "american sound" and they rather spend twice the money for an american guy than half of it for an australian.
I agree that there are a lot of talented people around there, but for that reason it gets pretty hard to find guys with experiences.
This isn`t their fault at all, it`s more a fault in of the companies sending their acts to america.

What I generally really liked way more than in Europe is the whole vibe there : It`s way more relaxter, I met really cool people and some really good bands.
It`s still a way bigger country for bands than is Germany.

If I go there I see it as a challenge to make it in a country where you get platinum for 70.000 sold copies ( it`s 400.000 in Germany, 1.000.000 in the US ).

Again, don`t wanna piss you Australians off and I am looking forward for your thoughts about my experience.

Yeah Milkbar was owned by Sammy Kannis who was way dodgy and the studio as such went under. It was trading insolvently for 2 years!. It has been bought by a guy called Phil Punch and it is now one of the best places to track in Sydney. He modified the neve with 24 channels of 550's and his gear and especially his mike list is amasing. So if you are back in Sydney I urge you to check it out as it like a gifferent place with real pro's working there now.

And Budgets' what are they?? I cant even remember what that means!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Robinson
Nice one Dave, I was kinda wondering what happened?

Why dont all the Slutz move downunder and we can create an Audio state and we can all be dictators on a rotational Roster. We can get A&R guys in for Job interviews and tell them that they have to be American or it wont sound current.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsy
Nice post, Dave. Very positive.

Should I send the razor blades in the post to slit your wrists now?

What are you gonna do about it?
mate, been in this "business" for forty odd years.

i should know when it ain't happenin'.

the only thing to do is to move to another country and leave this place to the abos, lebs, & chinese. DJR
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky
Nice one Dave, I was kinda wondering what happened?

Why dont all the Slutz move downunder and we can create an Audio state and we can all be dictators on a rotational Roster. We can get A&R guys in for Job interviews and tell them that they have to be American or it wont sound current.
man, this is serious, your job IS in danger.

if the liberals get their hooks in any deeper here, we are all sunk.

i like a joke, but this is no laughing matter. DJR
πŸ“ Reply