Quantcast
Sans Amp Bass di or rack version? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sans Amp Bass di or rack version?
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sans Amp Bass di or rack version?

I've used the old sans amp di with the knobs inside the unit. I want to get the one with the controls on the outside...then came across the rackmount version. Any comments on the rack? Thanks
T
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like it - lot's of patching options in the back. It also has a "mid" control - which the other boxes don't.
Old 27th December 2002
Founder

I lust after that DI box / pedal version...

rollz
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have used both of them and own 2 of the boxes. What I have found with the RBI is that it has alot of presence and stringyness to it. Everytime I have a bass player come in that wants to use it I have to turn the presence knob almost all of the way off. And then I plug in the pedal and its gone. The Bass Di on the other hand works every time. It sounds pretty close to a good mic'd amp and when you use the drive you can get that sound as if the amp was turned up real loud. I am sure you know what they sound like.

The portability is nice as well. The RBI definately has more routing and the mid controll but overall the pedal holds its own just as well if not better as far as sound goes. I also think the polarity gets reversed on the RBI outputs. But neither of them are an evil twin! I lust those!
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Zeuss-
Evil twin....thats just a di right..no eq or crunch....is it like a demeter di? tubes? I'm finding that the sans amp makes a crappy sound better on younger bands that have bad bass tone. Even my 1073 doens't affect a ok bass sound the wat the sans does.
T
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the original gtr rack mount version (without patch memories) and dig it for most everything... except gtrs! It's way useful for trashing drums and loops and pretty good for bass. (Although I usually use my B15 or a friend's vintage SVT when recording the project myself.) I would recommend checking out the current rack version (PSA-1 I think) if you can. You might find it more flexible and use it for more things in the long run.
Just my $0.02, have fun!
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have the bass DI driver "pedal". It sounds great. But I only use it when I'm combining it with a bass cabinet. If I am going just DI with no amp I'll go straight into the DI section of a transformer input preamp.
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the "Bass Driver" pedal and love the thing. It almost all ways gets me where I need to go and has surprised a few bass players who cringed at the thought of a DI at first. I try to track an amp along with the "sans" but usually end up using the DI track alone or with a little amp tucked underneath.
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ground Control-
Your right about the PSA...I use the sans software in PT all the time. It crunches stuff nicely. The di seems to scoop out allot of crap and add some harmonics...fast.

T
Old 28th December 2002
Founder

That does it, I'm definetly getting one o them pedal thangs! I've enjoyed em every time I have used em and my all time favorite session guy (Terry Fox NYC) has one) It's been on my shopping list for a while (along with a Transient designer, new strobe tuner & Messa Recording pre amp, oh and every gadget ever made!)

A track of that and a DI via my Evil Twin will rock!

I can always re amp the Evil Twin later on.. (I only use bass cabs when recording in a larger studio , I can just fit a drummer in my live area)

πŸ“ Reply