Quantcast
One Piece of Gear for Under $1000 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One Piece of Gear for Under $1000
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
One Piece of Gear for Under $1000

OK... so i've been reading a little while now about peoples studios and all this $$$ and whatnot... Manley SLAMS for 6K and A/D Convertors for 8K, etc...

but, i'm on a budget. I'm working with a Mackie Mixer (a 'live' one), G4 400, running a copy of Logic, Triton, some modules, etc...

This seems to be ok for the moment, but... it just sounds like ****. No matter how my mixes sound on my Mackies, it ends up sounding pretty bad. So bright and harsh, no soothing, warm qualities associated with mammilian life.

Hopefully, if this new years gig goes ok, i will have a little change to spend on some gear.

What do u reccommend for something uner a thousand that will give me the jump start i really need....?
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Are you using mostly synths for your music? That could effect the answer.

The best "under $1000" that I ever spent was on the Sytek 4 channel preamp.
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
$1000

If I wanted to get the most bang for the buck and we're talking about a studio without much existing gear....

* I think a good mic would have more impact than any one other device. For a grand you could get a great ribbon mic: a Royer R121, the new AEA 84, a Coles 4038, these all run about $1k

or

* you could get one nice piece of outboard gear, something that you would never outgrow and that you could use as the start of a high quality gear collection. my personal choice would be an API-compatible "lunchbox" and one module. You can get a powered rack and one mic preamp module for about $1k from Old School Audio. The same thing from Brent Averill might run you around $1100. YOu can then pick up modules from API, Brent or Old School and fill in the rack over time with preamps, EQs and compressors. For my money, that's the most economical way for a beginner to venture into the world of true high end pro audio.

or you can spend it all on this week's latest fad item and be really hip for about 10 minutes until the next latest fad item takes it's place. then you'll find that last weeks hot item is now worth almost nothing when you try to sell it. that's a game for rich men; those of us who have to watch our finances are much better off buying established products that will hold their value over time. have fun spending the cash!

steve
[email protected]
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
RNP and RNC. Besides tracking duties, run the output of your Mackie into the RNP with the RNC in the insert, run the line in's to the Mackie low, master wide open, and stay well within the green (Fletcher, the originator of the trick as far as I know, recomended no closer than 3 green leds from the yellow). Make up your gain with the pre and control dynamics as you will with the RNC. (Other gear can do this, of course, but this is a solid basic kit for not a lot of money).

With the remaining chunk of the dough, look for a used RE-20, SM-7, or MD-441. Any of these three pummels most condensors under $1000 for rock vocals, guitars, drums, and bass.

So you get a lifetime input path plus the mix fixer in your budget. It isn't a warm up fix, but once you get a good input path, the need to put euphonic distortion on as a band aid tends to go away.

Bear
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
hey steve-

Thats what i was thinking. I want an all inclusive vacation. Something where lunch/dinner is included with the airfare.. and if i can get one of those Argentenian chicks to- oh ****, sorry... wrong thread..

uh, i mean i want a swiss army of sorts. something i can run my 2 mix thru as well as something with some decent pres. i'm using the pres on a CR1604 mackie mixer. it sounds... well....

I was looking into the Focusrite Penta. It has pres and whatnot, supposedly i can run my mixes thru it, but i don't know how it sounds.

I am doing mostly programmed stuff. Some electronic and some (older vibe) R&B... But I also have a tracking room with a grand, kit, rhodes, etc. I want that... SOUND....
๐Ÿ“ Reply