Quantcast
Otari Concept Elite ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Otari Concept Elite ?
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Otari Concept Elite ?

has anybody checked this console out? mixed on it?

how ´bout quality? Is it a good idea to buy one used instead of buying more micpres, gates and summing bus gear?

Merry new year and happy christmas....
/Mixmaster Santa
Old 27th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Steve Remote has an Otari desk in his truck. It might be a Concept, I'm not sure.
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I hear that there are API guys that has designed the pre & eq.... sounds interesting if I can get 24 + 24 channel for under $20k. yuktyy
Old 27th December 2002
Founder

I also heard it has an API 'vibe'..

Who knows for sure?!!

Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I also heard it has an API 'vibe'..

Who knows for sure?!!

The Shadow knows! (ominous laugh)
Old 27th December 2002
Founder

Moo Har Har?

Old 28th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
I hear that there are API guys that has designed the pre & eq.... sounds interesting if I can get 24 + 24 channel for under $20k. yuktyy

Is that API or SoundWorkshop?

I think around the time they came out, Otari bought out Soundworkshop(91 maybe?).

I remember the strip(they would let you bring one into your studio and try it out). Something about the ergonomics turned me off.

In those days(mid 90's) the Concept one and Elite(along with Euphonix) were the poor man's SSL, but not API.

If you are looking at a digitally controlled analog console, than check out a Harrison Series Ten.
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use my otari 54C 96X32 daily, really aggressive sounding pres and eq, +/- 12db sounds more like 20..... I don't know if I buy the whole "api design" line, but I rarely use the pres anyway.The diskmix/P+G moving fader system is real cool, but the concept one went to vca automation(i think) if its cheap enough I'd say go for it. Even with HD3 in the house I continue to work analog as much as possible, and the otari makes a great router for multiple spkr pairs, headphones, outboard and2 Trks! (and a great table!!!)
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yea . . I don't buy the API thing either. To me, I see nothing to even think that. The friends I know that have them say there is a major learning curve with the board and the automation.
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Two of the original designers of the Sound Workshop consoles were techs from API in the 70's. Since Otari is pretty much a continuation of that whole history, some of that must have leaked into the consoles someway, somehow. I'm friends with the guy who was in charge of construction during most of the 80's for Sound Workshop and he said they basically tried to emulate much of the API vibe, but of course with monolithic IC's and transformerless circuitry so it didn't come off exactly the same. However my series 30 which has been slightly hotrodded above factory standards (new chips, larger metal caps, 2x's the PSU I need) sounds exceptional, more open and less colored than an API, but very hi-fi all around. I would expect the Otari's to be as good or better, but perhaps since it's been so long any remnants of API-ishness are completely gone 20 years down the road. Not that this reflects anything on the overall quality of Otari...hell, if you are getting a good deal snag it. Most likely it going to be a great console worth every penny, and they look visually appealing also to the customer.
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Found some interesting reading.....

"The lineage of the Otari Elite+ Console comes from an American based design by Saul Walker. The world class mic pre-amps of the Elite are designed specifically for Otari by Saul Walker, founder and Chief engineer for API"
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yep, Saul Walker and Michael Tapes were the founders of Sound WorkShop IIRC.
Old 29th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
Yep, Saul Walker and Michael Tapes were the founders of Sound WorkShop IIRC.
Also Michael helped design the Sony Oxford.
Old 14th August 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone know of an Elite FS? Looking to buy soon!

Alan

(716) 870-8059
Old 15th November 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
please help !!!! HELP!!!!!!!!
But Maybe you will catch me for a while! in which I will be very grateful to you! The essence of the problem:

I have the Otari Concept Elite console. And I am looking everywhere for computer software. Maybe you still have the distribution package of the program? or do you know where to get it?

my email: [email protected]
Old 15th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_s ➡️
please help !!!! HELP!!!!!!!!
But Maybe you will catch me for a while! in which I will be very grateful to you! The essence of the problem:

I have the Otari Concept Elite console. And I am looking everywhere for computer software. Maybe you still have the distribution package of the program? or do you know where to get it?

my email: [email protected]
I have some stuff, let me look. Do you have a win 95 computer?
Old 15th November 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle ➡️
YES!!!!
Old 16th November 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello! if you have at least something left on the otari console, then please send an email. really waiting !!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_s ➡️
Hello! if you have at least something left on the otari console, then please send an email. really waiting !!!
I wont have time till next week, i do have software i can copy you though.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I wont have time till next week, i do have software i can copy you though.
many thanks!!!!! I will wait! here is my email: [email protected]
📝 Reply