Quantcast
Finally, digital vinyl - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finally, digital vinyl
Old 24th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Finally, digital vinyl

Check these out. Anyone actually seen them yet?

http://www.verbatim.com/products/pro...cfm?pro_id=393
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They look like toys. I'm sticking with the ones with the black colored bottoms (like a ps2 disc).
Old 25th December 2002
Don
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Ya know a good idea would be to have them with you studios name on them for small stuff...Advertiseing..It would be eye catching..
Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Great catch, Jay. I'm picking some of these up as soon as possible. Verbatim's a good CD anyway.

Jasper
Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I just bought some of these at buy.com. $6.38 for a 10-pack, free shipping. If you get them at Verbatim, it's about ten bucks per 10-pack and another ten bucks for shipping.

Verbatim has other retail options at its Web site.

Jasper
Old 25th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I figured they were kind of cool even if it is a bit of a gimmick. How many CDR's do you go through a month? Probably about 90% of what I use is rough mixes to clients and they usually get a Sharpie. Since my place is primarily analog having some around would be cool if they work. ****, I was making roughs for someone the other night and the band was amazed that I was using a DAW for it. Ah well... I'll head over to Buy.com and pick up 20 or so to give 'em a test. Right now I'm sitting on about 200 blanks (all green), mostly no-name or Taiyo Yuden so it'll be a while before I order a large quantity of them.

BTW, has anyone noticed a difference between green vs. gold vs. black CDR's? I'm more interested in the coaster to good ratio. I haven't had much luck using any of the black one's in my Marantz CDR-630 but it's not too picky about anything else.
Old 26th December 2002
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I bought a box at Target for around $8 and have been pretty happy.

They are the old dark blue AZO dye that was great at 1x and really compatable with lots of audio players.
Old 26th December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Damn. I should have delayed on this. Target is right down the block.

Oh, well. I did get mine cheaper, at least, and sans Texas sales tax. But I want to be the first on my block, you know? And, yeah, it's gimmicky, but in a cool way I think.

I'll have to drop by Target tonight I think. For I am a child.

God, I miss 45s. I'd much rather take life two songs at a time.

Jasper
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs

BTW, has anyone noticed a difference between green vs. gold vs. black CDR's? I'm more interested in the coaster to good ratio. I haven't had much luck using any of the black one's in my Marantz CDR-630 but it's not too picky about anything else.
I haven't done extensive testing, nut I've had great success with Mitsui gold CDRs. The only coasters I've made where when I screwed something up. In my cheapo Phillips I have to use those music only CDRs and that thing is only use for roughs and the like. The real thing is made on my computer with Mitsui CDRs.
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well, I took Bob's advice and went to Target to buy some 45-looking CDs and the next day my order from buy.com also came in. I like them. For no good reason but the gimmick factor, but I like them.

Now... how can I get labels for these? I guess it's a question for Bob, otherwise I'll start hunting the 'net.

As to CD quality in general, for me there's only been a couple of issues. They either burn fine or too many turn into coasters. Or they burn fine, and then a couple of years later I have problems getting to the data.

The biggest problem CDs have been Maxell so far.

But I haven't noticed a sound quality difference, not that I've looked that hard. I've got some Apogee Digital CD blanks I got free with my MasterLink, and supposedly they're superior (according to Apogee Digital) but I doubt it.

Has anyone ever tested the difference in CD sound quality?

Jasper
Old 30th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
As long as there's enough room to write the date and a little more info like "roughs" or the clients name I'm happy. I doubt I'd use them for final mixes and stuff. I rather put those on the TY's or Emtec blanks. But, 90% of the CDR's I use are rough mixes so the gimmick factor is kinda cool.

Personally I've never heard a real difference in the sound of a CDR blank. People that know tell me the difference is in the error's and how the players error correction reads the files and what it does to correct them. At that point, seeing as how it's going to vary a bit from player to player I'd assume it's nothing to lose a lot of sleep over for the work I do.
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'd rather put those on the TY's or Emtec blanks.
Cool. What in the hell are those? I've never heard of them before.

Jasper
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Jasper
Cool. What in the hell are those? I've never heard of them before.

Jasper
Taiyo Yudens or EMTEC/BASF CD-R Masters, I'd suppose.

I like the EMTEC/BASF ones myself for final masters.. they have "ceramic guard" coating on the top-side and thus can be written on with sharpies without worrying about solvent erosion of the pit-layer.

However, I do like the idea of these black ones, with or without the cute 45 graphics, for client roughs...

-dave
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Dave G. --

Let's not forget the big picutre here... Niners or Tampa Bay? Awesome.

My brother is a music business manager who lives in Clearwater. Me? I'm a Niners fan who lives in Texas.

And being a long-time Niners fan I have to add one more team... Raiders (Long Live Jerry Rice).

Jasper
Old 31st December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Thanks!
I definitely going to get some.

Chris
Old 31st December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
Taiyo Yudens or EMTEC/BASF CD-R Masters, I'd suppose.

I like the EMTEC/BASF ones myself for final masters.. they have "ceramic guard" coating on the top-side and thus can be written on with sharpies without worrying about solvent erosion of the pit-layer.

However, I do like the idea of these black ones, with or without the cute 45 graphics, for client roughs...
Totally. I got two boxes of the 45's today. They look cool, if only there was more room to write on the label.
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dave G. --

Let's not forget the big picutre here... Niners or Tampa Bay? Awesome.
If they end up facing each other in the playoffs, I'm going to develop multiple personality disorder to deal with it.

Quote:
My brother is a music business manager who lives in Clearwater. Me? I'm a Niners fan who lives in Texas.
A Niner fan in Cowboy country? Jerry Jones hates you. I on the other hand, understand completely.

Quote:
And being a long-time Niners fan I have to add one more team... Raiders (Long Live Jerry Rice).
Amen. Until and unless they face one of my red-clad teams.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.
Black CD's dressed up as 45's? Mmmmmm, nice! grggt

-dave
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
These CDs are nice and I've burned two so far without problems.

There's some kind of optical illusion thing going on, because they look smaller than a regular CD when lying next to one. They aren't, but it looks that way.

Like I said before, about $8 for ten at Target and $6.75 at buy.com. Another bonus: real jewel cases, not those slim kind.

Jasper
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I just wrote Verbatim about the possibility of getting CD-stomper type labels. That would be a nice touch.

I'll let you know what they tell me when they reply.

Jasper
Old 1st January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Another bonus: real jewel cases, not those slim kind.
Every center post in one of the two boxes I got was smashed. That's kind of a bummer.
πŸ“ Reply