The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New large Mackie studio console????
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Why do I dislike the D8B? Let me count the ways...

#1 Automation is fairly hard to come to grips with, and I use Ultramix all the time.
#2 Lack of analog inserts and difficult routing if you want to use analog outboard and stompboxes
#3 Faders that get stuck at the top of their travel for no reason. The only fix is to shut the console down and restart. Granted sometimes my MCI has a problem that needs a similar fix but it takes 2 seconds to come back on-line, not 3 minutes.
#4 I know many people that have had CPU problems which caused the console to fail and be down for an extended period of time. Last year I had another studio book a week at my place when that happened to them.
#5 Overall sound was not that great IMHO. Not horrible, but not killer either.

Shall I continue?
Are you talking about analog inserts on the digital side? If I remember correctly all the digital consoles I've ever used(and there have been many) have analog inserts on the analog section.

To have an analog insert on the digtal side is impossible. The latency involved wouldn't permit it. Not even the Capricorn/Oxford/SSL MT or Soundtracs have that. They all have analog inserts after the mic pre's before the A/D(but the 02R and Mackie have that too).
Old 30th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Of couse. But I want and need analog inserts on the digital side. Can't have it? Fine, **** you. Give me SPDIF or AES inserts I can assign and I'll buy a bunch of cheap converters so I have them. Latency isn't an issue until I can hear or feel it. I'm not one of those guys who spends an hour moving the all the drum tracks around tick by click to get them in phase either.

Part of the reason (most of it) that I passed on the D8B was because of the lack of analog inserts. At the time I was running Adats so I could've used the analog outs to the analog in's of the board but what good is that? The whole point of using a digital recorder and a digital board is to stay there and not convert back and forth all the time right? Sorry, I want to use my pair of 1176's, 160VU's Daking EQ's and all that junk when I mix. I'm glad I got the Trident though, it made it real easy to hook up the 2" deck when I bought it.
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Pro Sound News (european ed.) just arrived, on page 3 there is an interview with Mackie CEO Jamie Engen by Dave Robinson. Seems like the whole purpose of the interview is to comment recent rumours.

Quote:
He noted that several product lines had been dropped: The MDR recorder, the large-format analogue consoles (40.8, 56.8).
Engen hinted that the company had spent time developing technology for a large-scale digital desk, but how to use that technology had been "questioned". "There are certainly no plans right now for such a console," he said.
End quote

The interview covers much more than this, including facts regarding layoffs, EAW, RCF, overseas manufacturing movements and a total denial of a rumour regarding Fender buying Mackie.

/Mats
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
. Not even the Capricorn/Oxford/SSL MT or Soundtracs have that. They all have analog inserts after the mic pre's before the A/D(but the 02R and Mackie have that too). [/B][/QUOTE]
I spend my days on an Axiom MT + and it has analog inserts on the digital side (i use them in mix) . It has an align mix function that compensate for insert delays . The oxford has that too .
📝 Reply