The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic Standards!
Old 4th June 2008
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Mic Standards!

Hi all,

This kind of comes from a separate post, but i think it is a topic in and of itself. Can anyone tell me what the 'mic standards' are for each type of mic (LDC,SDC,Ribbon,Valve, Dynamic)? If further categorisation is helpful, I am particular interested in mics useful for recording Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bass, Vocals?

(I know there are multitudes that can do the job, just after the 'standards' those mics that most recognise as a great mic for an application that will bring good results, and are known for doing so historically); ie: KM84 >> Acoustic Guitar? SM57 >> Electric Guitar?

Hope my question and intention is clear?
Old 4th June 2008
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
AKG C451 >> Acoustic guitar
AKG D112 >> Kick Drum
Sennheiser MD421 >> Toms
Neumann U87 >> Vocals, or Drum Overheads
Old 5th June 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
421>>Toms,kick,bass
414's>>Rock Overheads
Sm 57 - Elec Guitar Amps,Snare
122 or 121 >> Elec Guitar amps...room mics etc
Telefunken 251 ELAM > Vocals...but really anything sounds great...
C800G >> Rap/Hip Hop/R&B Vocals

I tend to disagree with the D112..its not so widely used outside of smaller studios without deep mic lockers (im sure its been used to great effect on great records though!)....I think you mean the much more used D12 and D12E

this list could go on and on
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DPA 4006 - Classical recording main mics
DPA 4060 - Headsets in theaters
Sennheiser MKH 416 - Boom mic
Electrovoice RE20 - Bassamps, Kick
Electrovoice RE16 - Elvis
Neumann U47/67 - Beatles, Frank Sinatra and other rich Singers
Neumann U47 FET - FOK for rich drummers
Shure SM58-SM87 - Live concert vocals
Shure SM91 - Modern Kick sound
Shure SM55 - Posers
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Can anyone else chime in?

I would love to hear more about what people feel are 'standard' mics for acoustic guitar, both LDC & SDC...

I have mentioned the KM84, another poster mentioned the AKG451 can anyone confirm if either of these are a standard for SDC's when working with acoustic guitar?

I can't afford the 84's, but i am currently looking for some SDC's to mic my acoustic and am considering KM184's or AKG 451's.

So you thoughts on 'standard' SDC's for acoustic guitar would be appreciated!!!!

Cheers,
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
With all due respect, I believe that you are thinking upside-down!

Yes there are standards, such as the Audix D6 or the AKG D12 or 112 for kick, the 421 for toms and kick and the U87 for vocals, etc., etc., etc.

But you should be thinking about creating your own sonic signature. You should say to yourself "Yes, the 414 is the rock OH standard, but what does that mean to me? Do I need to sound like everybody else, or should I sound different?"

For starters, there are new mics coming out all the time and although many are just badged cheap El-Crappo models tarted up and given a shed-load of advertising, some are brilliant at doing quirky little tasks that you may never discover if you just get the same stuff everybody else has.

The 4060 and the 4061 from DPA was mentioned as a good body mic, but did you know that it is also a fantastic PZM and Kunstkopf mic?

How will you ever build up a good (and far cheaper!) collection of old mics if you just think in terms of standards? Listen to an AKG D202 or a Shure SM59 and actually compare it with some of your far more expensive standard mics of today and you may be in for a shock!

BTW, for a good (but non-standard!!!) SDC, look no further than the AKG C391. Every bit as good as the high snob-value SDCs, but at a fraction of the price.

(I have just noticed that this is my 1000st posting here - note to self, get on with some bloody work instead!)
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
acoustic guitar is one place where there aren't really standards defined as strongly.

I'd say the standard mics over all, are various versions of:

LDC:

U87
U67
U47
251 ELAM
C12

dynamic

sm 57
sm 7 (although its been around a while, it has more recently IMO become "standard")
md 421

ribbons

coles soap dish
royer 121's (also relatively recent)

there aren't really any SDC's I can think of that I would say are "Standard" in the same way as the above mics, it is a less defined catagory.

the best acoustic guitar sound I've got recently was with two mics combined, a crowlley tripp studio vocalist, and a josephson c42

narco
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
sm7b - screaming or cookie monster vox
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjknight ➑️

I would love to hear more about what people feel are 'standard' mics for acoustic guitar, both LDC & SDC...

I have mentioned the KM84, another poster mentioned the AKG451 can anyone confirm if either of these are a standard for SDC's when working with acoustic guitar?

I can't afford the 84's, but i am currently looking for some SDC's to mic my acoustic and am considering KM184's or AKG 451's.

So you thoughts on 'standard' SDC's for acoustic guitar would be appreciated!!!!

Cheers,

If you can't afford KM84, you might try beyerdynamic MC930. I would use it before I went with an AKG 451. The AKG sounds good and has been a staple for 30+ years on various things but it is bright and can sound unnatural on the wrong guitar. To my ears the beyer is very natural and smooth. I prefer it to a Gefell M300 as well.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
i'm doing a record with a guy now that is mostly folky / acoustic guitar songs. we got an amazing tone from his martin with 4 mics: u47 right in front of the sound hole, a newer sennheiser md421 at the base of the body of the guitar, an akg c12 reissue to the right of the sound hole and an akg c1000 on the neck. it caught all the facets of a great sounding guitar. loved it...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Depends on the guitar and style of playing...

If the KM84's and 451's are out of your range, try the AT 4041's.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjknight ➑️

Cheers,
KM84 is common on acoustic. I think it's reasonable to call it the "standard" for many. It has an authority on acoustic which no other mic has matched in my experience. Wonderful on snare also.

Along with other posters I'd suggest the MC930 over the KM184. MC930 is a nice mic, the KM184, not so much, IMO.

Personally I think your attempt to compile a list of common go-tos is worthwhile. Anyway it's fun. Here's an attempt. These aren't necessarily the choices I would personally make, rather a list of how things have been commonly used, in my experience.

Snare: SM57, KM84
Kick inside: RE20, SM7, 421, U47FET, D12
Kick outside: RE20, U47FET
Overheads: all over the place
Bass cab: RE20, SM7, U47FET
Guitar cab: SM57, 421, R121
Acoustic guitar: KM84, KM54
Male vocal: U47, U67, U87, SM58, SM7
Female vocal: M49, U47, ELAM251

Maybe this is an old guy's list, I dunno. It's been fun to throw together.
πŸ“ Reply