Quantcast
Whats the concensus on the RNP, anyway? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Whats the concensus on the RNP, anyway?
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Whats the concensus on the RNP, anyway?

I really like the way mine opens up the sound compared to **** like the Mackies and cheap Focusrites. The top seems wide open to me, and the DI is pretty cool. It sounds real nice and open on dirty guitar cab with my Sennheiser 441.
Is there anyone that DOESNT like it? Any bad experiences? Any good?
Peace!
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
re: Whats the concensus on the RNP, anyway?

Since no ones chimed in I'll give a brief and fairly non-pro synopsis on how mines doing...

I've had it about 1 month or so now and I got it so I could skip the pres in my mackie 1604 vlz and to act as another flavor from my Joe Meek VC3v2. I've used it with my TLM103, my SP C1 and my Shure SM57.

I've worked on 2 songs with the pre so far and basically I'm using it for anything that's going into my 2408mkII. I use the Mackie to monitor only using the RNC to bus the signal back to the board.

I didn't like the vocal sound I got with the TLM103/RNP combo. This was only tried on my voice (baritone-ish) which greatly benefits from a Mic with a little warmth...and the TLM103 wasn't it. I like the vocal sound from the C1/RNP combo, although I found that I had to go back and cut some lower mid out of the voice after the fact to keep some boom out of my vox track after the fact. After that though the track sat in the mix well and the sound was sweet and warm. Maybe I need to do something different with the TLM103/RNP combo to yield better results...

I mic'd up my fender Deluxe reverb reissue with the 57 and as many have reported, it shines in this application. The RNP seems to really like the 57. I need to try the 57 on vox next. Anywho, the sound was just perfecto for me right out of the box. I used a AmSe Tele with Bill Lawrence pups and also a Heritage 535 with Seth Lovers and both tracks needed a little EQ to cut out the unneeded lows, but other than that it was great and no EQ was needed. I finally got the dirty Electric guitar sound I was after.

I used the RNP direct ins for both Bass (a no name pbass clone) and guitar (the tele). The tele still had good cut and sat well in the mix and the bass track was OK, but I didn't like it better than my SansAmp BassDI which my bass gets along very well with. The RNP was usable in this application, but not the holy grail. Certainly a nice plus in a pinch though and a perfectly useable sound.

So I'm sure others have done a lot more with theirs, but this is how far I've gotten with it so far. I'm very happy with it and as these tracks have gotten more dense they still retain their clarity, something I think may be the doings of the better pre in the chain of things. I'm very happy so far.

I'd love to hear how others are getting along.

Lee
Old 20th December 2002
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I too would like to hear from folks who have the RNP.

Before it even came out, people everywhere were recommending the RNP - perhaps just on the reputation of the RNC.

Now that it is shipping and the people on the waiting list are getting theirs, I don' t hear much about it.

I have seen a couple of fairly positive reviews, but where is the tidal wave of word-of-mouth?

surely more than 2 people on this board have purchased this box?
Old 22nd December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
I've read comments that the RNP is very, very noisy!!!
Old 22nd December 2002
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by joeq
I too would like to hear from folks who have the RNP.

Before it even came out, people everywhere were recommending the RNP - perhaps just on the reputation of the RNC.

Now that it is shipping and the people on the waiting list are getting theirs, I don' t hear much about it.

I have seen a couple of fairly positive reviews, but where is the tidal wave of word-of-mouth?

surely more than 2 people on this board have purchased this box?
I believe it's because a great number of folks simply got tired of waiting and ordered alternatives, like the Sytek for example.
Old 22nd December 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
re: Whats the concensus on the RNP, anyway?

Just to address the noise comment... That's not been my experience at all. I don't have a very low noise floor in my little studio room (the computer's in a closet and the window in the room faces the street), but I'm still getting much nicer/cleaner recordings through this box than I have before. I've found that when you get way up into the gain on the pre (maybe past 3 o'clock), it could get more noisy, but I think that also comes down to which mics you're using in what application. I'll also add I've never needed enough gain through the pre to get into the 3 o'clock region. It seems like it does just fine.

As mentioned in another thread, the disclosure on noise was made very clear in the FMR website and I think that was an honest evaluation. Perfect pre for all situations - no. Great pre for a whole lot of them - oh yes.

As for the wait time...I kept hearing people say that and then I went to Humbucker music and signed up to order one and got it quite quickly. Today, with the $50 deposit to get you to the quicker line, the wait's looking like less than 2 weeks. It's been that quick for sometime now on Humbucker's site. This was my first transaction with these guys but they were great to work with.

Happy Holidays.

Lee
๐Ÿ“ Reply