Quantcast
TLM103 as OH's ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TLM103 as OH's ?
Old 18th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
TLM103 as OH's ?

anyone using TLM103's for OH's ? would they be good / better / worse than, say KM184 or 451s?
Old 18th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
They work pretty well in that price range...as well as the KM184's. I find that to my ear the 451 sounds thinner than both, but some people love 451's (and hate the 184) so it's subjective. The 103 however is useful in more applications overall than either small diaphragms for my uses.
Old 18th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of both. I have tried the 103's and the 184's as OH and I prefer the 184's. The 184's seem a little brighter ( some would probably say "harsh" or "ear piercing" im sure ) and dont require as much low end cut. I tend to use the 103's as room mics or on the resonant head of the bass drum. I have scored some really good sounds with the 103 as a bass drum mic, in my opinion anyway. Either of them requires a pad in my experience, as their output is absurdly hot. Someday I'm going to lose it and just plug them directly into the converter.

For what it's worth, I really like the 184's on acoustic guitar and piano.
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the feedback. Post a digital photo of that 103 kick setup (both mics if another used) if you get a chance, eh!? heh
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Put the TLM103 on the outside of the hole of the kick and check phase relationship in mono between the inside close beater head mic in the kick (and the other mics in the kit).
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
Thanks for the feedback. Post a digital photo of that 103 kick setup (both mics if another used) if you get a chance, eh!? heh

I dont have a hole in my drum head so I place the 103 on the resonant head side of the drum, maybe 6 inches to a foot away and then I stick a D112 on the beater side and combine to taste. I will post a pic if I can get one to come out in my studio. It's pretty dark, or as I would like to think "vibey"

πŸ“ Reply