Quantcast
api line amp & speck - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
api line amp & speck
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
api line amp & speck

anyone know the diff between an api 330 & a 325 line amp card? the 330 has tranny & the 325 doesn't? i'm trying to decide whether or not it'd be worth using a pair to replace the summing bus on my speck m-72 console. would i want to do this? AND, does anyone know who'd do a good job (onsite) in nyc? jay, would you know?

ml
Old 17th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Can't help you with the API stuff. For a tech you can try Michael O'Hora at 914-271-7882. Tell him I sent you. Also, there's someone else you COULD try but you'd have to contact me off the board because he doesn't really get into doing work for the general public but this might interest him.
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
api line amp

Curious why you would want to replace the summing bus on a Speck console? Are there audible problems?

steve
[email protected]
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Re: api line amp

that's why i asked "would i want to?" but my reasons are solely for upgrading , or improving. i do, of course, realize this is all highly subjective, but i had heard of someone else replacing or modding, to great success, the m72's summing bus with api components, & thought the "character" might enhance the overall sound, especially as the board's eq's are transformerless. that ain't a bad thing, but in the case of vince's eq, the asc in particular, i much prefer his tranny version. vince suggested "using the API 2520 opamp for the combining amp and adding a Jensen transformer on the output of the existing output stage." which wouldn't be a huge or expensive operation. and it'd probably sound great. and jay, i'll give you a call for the other guy's details ; thanx for that ;-)

ml

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
Curious why you would want to replace the summing bus on a Speck console? Are there audible problems?

steve
[email protected]
Old 18th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: api line amp & speck

Quote:
Originally posted by muddy
anyone know the diff between an api 330 & a 325 line amp card? the 330 has tranny & the 325 doesn't? i'm trying to decide whether or not it'd be worth using a pair to replace the summing bus on my speck m-72 console. would i want to do this? AND, does anyone know who'd do a good job (onsite) in nyc? jay, would you know?

ml
Hey Muddy,

Here is a conversation I had with Tom Maguire about the M72. He is the best person in NYC that can help you with your situation.

I hope it helps some.

Good luck.

I thought you might like to know that we service M72s here in NYC for Vince
and his customers. We also have a series of our own mods for balanced ~+26dbu
Line, Send, Return and Direct on all channels. We build a daughter card that
piggybacks on the modules.

In addition, we have a hybrid replacement for the TL-074 chips in the EQ
section, the TL-071 fader buffers, 5534 mix amps and line inputs. Not a chip
swap as other work is required.

It's a very different board with those mods. I'm doing one right now.
Customer seems to dig it.

Tom Maguire

TMI Engineering

718-935-0063

[email protected]
Old 18th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
my friend anton actually had the 1st 24 channels balanced by someone (he's got a memory like a seive when it comes to technical details) here. wonder if it was tom? thanx for the info. i'll give him a call as well. looks like our area codes match (i'm in greenpoint).

ml
Old 18th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by muddy
my friend anton actually had the 1st 24 channels balanced by someone (he's got a memory like a seive when it comes to technical details) here. wonder if it was tom? thanx for the info. i'll give him a call as well. looks like our area codes match (i'm in greenpoint).

ml

Probably.

I know Tom has done the API mod as well as others on the M72. I will tell you it is not a cheap modification, but it can be done.

Again,

Good luck.
Old 18th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the 325s have one transformer and one 2520 onboard.
Old 3rd February 2009
SDB
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Speck 72

SPECK 72 I need a manual asap 25.00 dollar offer for a working copy
πŸ“ Reply