The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording guitars
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Recording guitars

Does anyone have any suggestions for recording funk guitar?.......I've just been talking to a couple of engineers who told me that to get a decent guitar sound for any style, you need to mic up an amp.....but this sounds like a load of bollocks to me.....it's a bit like saying you have to record keys or vox thru an amp....like they don't have a usable sound in themselves without sending it thru some crusty old amp......can anyone suggest a way to get some crisp funky guitar sounds without using an amp?.......cheers.....j
Old 12th December 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Just a thought:
I usually split the signal right after the guitar(IOW, before the amp) and send one direct just in case the player hasn't a clue what good tone is. Then you can play around with both and let your ears dictate at that point what sounds good in the mix. Oftentimes direct-type-of-clean works better for funky arrangements than miked-up tones. But then I'm one of those freaks that likes direct clean for rock ballads and such.rollz
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
for that mowtown sound a single coiled strat can never hurt .
play a little with the volume and the tone pot ( to decrease the attack and the high ends if you hit the strings " to hard " ) .
you can d.i a clean guitar . but same story : a " usual " d.i. wont make you that lucky ( it sounds just boring ) . i have a old tube pre ( v72a ) which adds some " old style " colour to a d.i signal .
most times i end up using an adl tube comp to make it sound " noisy " .

a jazz guitar sound ala george benson works kinda like the same way . the gibson guitars are expensive as hell . a friend of mine plays a ibanez georg benson which sounds just awesome and if you are lucky you find em real cheap ( let me know if you find one and you dont get it ) .

to make it short , a good d.i , a preamp , a comp ... lots of $$$

if you buy a " small " roland jazz chorus and a sm57 ( which is also cool for anything that has keys ) you get that magic sound .
a mxr dynacomp is a cool comp stompbox . a wah wah and a mutron are good things to have as well .
if thats still " too much $$$ " ( damn the money ) try to rerecord your guitars to a tape deck and bring it back to get that " old kinda sound " .

you aint got a thing if you aint got the swing
heh
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I ALWAYS use an amp.
Old 12th December 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Re: Recording guitars

Obviously, you're not a guitarist. The amp is a big part of an electric guitar's sound. And it's more than just the electronics, it's the speaker's, too, and the way it moves the air.

I don't like splitting a guitar signal because it hurts the tone, but I'll do it from time to time. If you don't have an amp, try an amp simulator like a POD or Amp Farm.

I would find a couple decent amps and try 'em out. I would try something like a Fender Bassman or Twin Reverb. Maybe an AC30. For mics, a 57 is always a safe bet, but you might try a condenser, too. I like using KSM32's.

For funk, I would start with the mic right on the center of the cone, and if it's too bright, move the mic towards the edge of the speaker until you find your sweet spot. Make sure to also experiment with mic distance.

Dave
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

What's the best (and not expensive) way to split a signal of a guitar?
Old 13th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Re: Recording guitars

Supposedly Nile Rodgers cut lots of funk stuff with just a guitar and a DI. I can see that working for clean stuff, but the combination of a guitar and amp is one instrument.
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
If you are serious about recording guitars, you should get the following:

A VHT Pitbull, a Bogner Ubershcall, a mesa boogie dual, a JCM 800, a Vox AC30, a fender twin, a roland JC20, a POD, an SM57, a royer 121, an MD421, coles 4038, e504, a guitar splitter system, decent preamps(neves etc......), and $50,000,000,000,000 in unmarked non sequential bills

Im going to go kill myself now
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey you forgot a BK-5! heh

BTW, a silver face fender deluxe is not that expensive and if you find a good one it's a pretty useful amp. Hell, my tele in my vibrochamp with a ribbon up close can funk hard! It's not a very versatile amp but pretty useful in studio.

A tele direct to 2" can be surprisingly cool too sometimes...
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dont forget all the cabinets to the amps agnozingpain mentioned heh

imho forget the bogner and the vht and get a plexi marshall or a dumble heh

but ... youll have more freedom if you prcatice and work with your stuff compared to thinking about equipment you are unable to get in fact of $$$ anyway

good luck
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My own favourite amp is a Fender Custom Shop Bass Breaker, which is the hand-built version of the 59 Bassman from their Master Built series. This amp has simply the best clean sound I have ever heard, and an incredible break-up into overdrive as well.

I usually use a couple of 57s front and back, and sometimes mix in a condensor as well, but I've heard people talk about the "421 and a 57 trick" - since I own a 421, I'd like to know what this "trick" is?
Old 14th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by AgonizingpaiN
If you are serious about recording guitars, you should get the following:

a royer 121, an MD421, coles 4038

Throw in an Soundelux iFET7 and you've got a deal!!
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lately, the guitarist I have been doing alot of work with is totally inlove with this path for all tones clean..

Strat ( or 335) BSS active DI, AMEK Purepath CIB, Converter. Sounds Huge here.
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Lately, the guitarist I have been doing alot of work with is totally inlove with this path for all tones clean..

Strat ( or 335) BSS active DI, AMEK Purepath CIB, Converter. Sounds Huge here.
But there is no sustain . . . does that not bother you? Even on the shortest of notes, it always bothers me that direct doesn't 'ring out' a little bit. Of course if you are doing Nile Rogers chordal, type stuff . . . though I still like just a tiny bit of 'edge' from an amp. Again . . . just my opinion. I'm glad you have found something that works for you.
Old 14th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If you want that Michael Jackson funk sound of the 70's they put the guitarist in a seperate room with headphones and then stick a mic in front of the strings of the electric guitar to get the attack. Mix that in with the amp o DI sound.

Good luck.
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by everglass
If you want that Michael Jackson funk sound of the 70's they put the guitarist in a seperate room with headphones and then stick a mic in front of the strings of the electric guitar to get the attack. Mix that in with the amp o DI sound.

Good luck.
Yes yes......this was the next thing i was gonna try.....just bought some new strings!
Old 15th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yep, an oldie but a goodie. Good luck......

Everglass
Old 15th December 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
For Funk i'd go for a strat into a dynacomp (and maybe a wah and/or mutron) into a blackface or silverface Fender (Bassman and Bandmasters are real bargains) miked with whatever you prefer.

StuartMac, the 57 and 421 simply compliment each other well for tracking guitars.
Old 15th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
For Jazz Fusion, Acid Jazz and Soft Rock is (2) speakers necessary or is (1) driver sufficient mic'd in the project studio setting?
I was thinking of a used Roland JC120(2x 12") or is a Roland JC 60 plenty(1x12").
πŸ“ Reply