Quantcast
How did Sting come to suck? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How did Sting come to suck?
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I will.......

Sting, like it or not, has written some very good songs. ARghh!!!! There I said it! I have never worked with him personally, and although I find his St Sting act (remember his last video, with the people parting before him?) nausiating, I have to admit that he is talented and is able to put a performance across. Now this is coming from someone that love acts to have some edge, big time Steve Earle fan etc. A very good friend of mine who is a phenominal violinist, happened to work with him and many other great artists on an album, and the one artist that the players all commented on from a performance point of view as being special was Sting....... Mind you in all my years in the recording business, I've heard many less than flattering stories concerning him as an individual. As for the others from the police, I am suprised that there is to be a reunion gig, as a very good musician friend of mine toured with them and told me that they couldn't stand each other. I have met Stuart Copland once when he came to view a studio I was doing a session at and he was a very pleasant, charming guy.

Regards

Roland (I've buggered my chances of ever working with Sting) Clarke
Old 17th December 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I...like Sting.

I'm sort-of of the opinion that Sting came to suck because the perceptions of his audience changed.
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm sort-of of the opinion that Sting came to suck because the perceptions of his audience changed.
I would agree with that, except for one thing:

Mercury Rising.

OOPS, I think it's actually Mercury Falling.
Old 17th December 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Ouch.
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by cram
I would agree with that, except for one thing:

Mercury Rising.
GREAT TUNE!

Old 18th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
welllll....as a staunch 'north american' i gotta admit i liked(past tense) sting and his ability to meld(steal) various styles together into a style which , if you or i or most other folks had tried to make it with, would have been left at the doorstep of most of the major labels....he did all of us limited exposure musicados a favor by bringing some particularly talented musicians from around the world ,out into the publically accessible eye....and even though he worked with one of the most pretentious and terribly metered drummers, in the police, his choices of percussionists since then has been remarkable....at one of his concerts i attended just after nothing like the sun was released i had most of my attention diverted from the show to the huge amount of nubile eye-candy that seemed to favor his presense on that particular night......so....is this success?
Old 18th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by sonic dogg
....and even though he worked with one of the most pretentious and terribly metered drummers, in the police, his choices of percussionists since then has been remarkable....
He wouldn't have had those choices if anyone in the Police was less than remarkable. To ignore how he got there is well, ignorant.

Yeah, Omar Hakim and Vinnie Colaiuta were good picks, Hakim having about 75% more soul than cyborg Colaiuta. Speaking of pretentious, I should add the Vinnie is a renowned ASSHOLE except to the right people, apparently. I approached him once and started to compliment his technique when he ever so politely said "**** off." That's the closest I've ever come to punching a studio celebrity in the face.

I don't know or really care if Stewart Copeland is pretentious, but terribly metered? What the **** are you talking about?! He plays time about as solidly as it can be done.

You may not like what he played with the Police, but IMNSHO he is a great drummer. In particular, his use of the hi hat and splashes was unique in pop/rock drumming and added a new way it could be done.

Infact, you are the first person I've ever seen slag Copeland.
Old 18th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey look . . . . for that matter what the hell happened to Chevy Chase? Geez!
He is like a chunk of styrofoam now. He's as funny as testicle cancer. I used to know some of the original SNL people when it was first airing . . he was a funny guy. Or at least he had a personality . . . . Now?
Old 18th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Little known and better forgotten moments in tv history:

Remember when Chevy Chase tried hosting his own tv talk show?He lost his mind on national television. At least he did it quietly, but you could see him losing it when Goldie Hawn sang a ballad three inches from his face. In the SNL days, he would have likely smooched her and sexually tackled her to the ground. But on his own, you could tell he was cracking by looking at the extreme closeup of Goldie's nose and Chevy's face taking up the whole screen. The show was quickly taken off the air and Chevy hasn't been the same since. The pressure traumatized him. Even the studio audience was eerily silent, as I remember it. Sad.
Old 18th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
....Ouch....oooh....sorry jackson...really...i wasnt trying to seriously step on anyones toes.....i LOVED the drumming movements that stuart copeland produced...he was very cool in his concepts...but...if you take a metronome and put it on several of their songs(police) you'll seriously find a good bit of movement in meter....i'm not making this up....sting and others have alluded to this in interviews......i dont think i'm the first to say this.....however my fav as far as sting drummers since would have to be manu katche.....i admit to owning the entire sting collection...except that last thing.....ugghh.....i also own post lowell little feat too and its fabulous...i just cant bear to listen to it...
Old 18th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

really...i wasnt trying to seriously step on anyones toes

...he was very cool in his concepts...but...if you take a metronome and put it on several of their songs(police) you'll seriously find a good bit of movement in meter..
Nah, I'm really not that offended... well not anymore (lol). Copeland is one of my favorite drummers, that's all.

I'll go out on a limb and say that's true for most recordings prior to the digital age - and specifically the ubiquity of Pro Tools. Even most drummers who played to a click prior to digital robotics were not meter perfect. It was once known as "feel". For me, it still is. I've heard engineers try to explain that things like Beat Detective can be used subtly enough so that the feel still remains, but in every case I've heard so far, I must beg to differ. As long as it was played by a good drummer in the first place, I've always preferred the pre BD takes.

I'd rather listen to a drummer playing to a metronome than a metronome playing a drummer.

Anyway I've gone well off topic.

Um yeah, Sting is now a chump. Not that I really care despite Bevvy B making a long bag of wind out of a tiny amount of Sting slagging I did with someone else in another thread. tut
Old 18th December 2002
urumita

🎧 15 years
I really agree with the feel factor and I like rising tempos in uptempo choruses and at the end of songs. If I don't feel it in a composition I fall asleep.
Not being in control of your meter is one thing, controlling your meter to make a composition more interesting and actually stir emotions in many different types of animals is another.
Steady meter is way over-rated and has been imposed on musicians by the limitations of engineers, their techniques and their gear!!
Old 18th December 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
however my fav as far as sting drummers since would have to be manu katche....
Y'know, I've always thought of Manu Katche as a Peter Gabriel drummer. But regardless, I like his style—a lot!

But those classical music schmucks, there's some serious flow to the meter going on there, how on earth have they gotten away with it for over 500 years? Someone ought to rap their knuckles for swaying the tempo so much! =P
📝 Reply