Finally a converter upgrade - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finally a converter upgrade
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Finally a converter upgrade

As a precondition to record a band I've been playing with, I made them buy me some new gear... So after analysing my signal chain I decided my weak spot was my converters, PT 882|20s. So I now have an Apogee Rosetta.

I was expecting to hear subtle improvements to my FUTURE recordings after building up songs using the new coverters for all the overdubs, etc. but I was unexpectedly suprised and stoked to hear the instant improvement in my current mixes with the Rosetta hooked up.

All of a sudden a harsh quality of my mixes that has always bothered me is gone... the separation and definition of sounds in the mix is noticeably improved.

I'm assuming that it is the improved clock in the Rosetta, less jitter, etc.

or is this just another case of gear lust distorting my perception?!?!
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Finally a converter upgrade

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris
[

I'm assuming that it is the improved clock in the Rosetta, less jitter, etc.

or is this just another case of gear lust distorting my perception?!?! [/B]
Nope, it's the clock, and possibly the purple heh
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

Congrats Kris, I'm really looking foward to get one for my small setup...
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Look around for a used one... I found this "demo" unit for $800.

I'm pretty fired up about it! dfegad
Old 10th December 2002
Founder

Yup with cool clock fed to a Digidesign 888/24 interface, I heard otherwise trashy / metalic accoustic gtrs suddenly sound - phat / rich and 'classy' + more expencive sounding.

next... look out for a quality D/A to hear your DAW mix via..

Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

I know where you can find one heh
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Aren't the new Benchmark D/A's only $795 retail? Sounds like a hell of a deal.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah they only cost $795. It's not the most esoteric on the planet but it does a really great job and it's got a lot of users so far. Plus if you think it sucks you can just return it. Not that that's ever happened..... Actually one really well known engineer returned his as it finished behind his $18,000 Pacific Microsonics in a shootout, but not $17,205 behind.......
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
Actually one really well known engineer returned his as it finished behind his $18,000 Pacific Microsonics in a shootout, but not $17,205 behind.......

Not even a fair comparison either....sounds like it would be almost subjective at that point.
Old 10th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Exactly. Why would anyone want to pay that much more if it's even close? Either they can't be convinced that something costing $795 sounds favorably comparable to an $18,000 device, or they are used to buying status symbols. Puh-leeze.

I'm still trying to scratch up some dough for trying the DAC-1 out. I had plans for cashing in, but they ain't gonna work. Time to win lotto.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
One thing at a time now... hell I haven't even recorded any tracks with the Rosetta yet...

But yes that is a great deal worth looking into...

Also the Mytek 2 channel AD looks like a great deal too... only it hasn't been released yet as far as I know.
Old 10th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Kris

Also the Mytek 2 channel AD looks like a great deal too... only it hasn't been released yet as far as I know.
If you're talking about the Mytek DSD converter, it will cost quite alot.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Actually the Stereo 96-ADC I think the suggested retail is $895 ?
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
That has tentatively been scheduled for release since Fall of 2001. I wouldn't hold your breath on that product, I think Mytek is concentrating heavily on the DSD related products.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The link to that product is pretty buried on their site. Trust me, I've looked heh Nice stuff, though.
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
What's up Nathan, ... I knew I found you somewhere on the net... obviously here!
Old 11th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hey Kris, small world ain't it?
Old 13th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
That has tentatively been scheduled for release since Fall of 2001. I wouldn't hold your breath on that product, I think Mytek is concentrating heavily on the DSD related products.
Yeah that and the mysterious "PT Interface Card" for the 8X96. I waited more than a goddamn year for that ****in' thing not to come out. Michal and co. are great, but they should be more careful not to develop ghostware.

Also, they concentrated so heavily on the DSD converter (and showing it at AES) that it took 2.5 months before I got one of my 8X96's back. madd madd madd

Despite almost all that, they have better customer service than any company in any industry I've ever dealt with (well, I've never done a hooker...), and a fantastic product to boot. Still, I have a love/hate relationship with them. Starting to get over the hate part. The ****in' 8X96 is so good. (lol - put that on your website, Michal)
Old 15th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Yup with cool clock fed to a Digidesign 888/24 interface, I heard otherwise trashy / metalic accoustic gtrs suddenly sound - phat / rich and 'classy' + more expencive sounding.

I know I'm chiming in a bit late here, but you DAW guys should really check out the Dangerous Music Monitor... the custom D/A (Troisi Designs) is worth every penny alone.

J.P.
πŸ“ Reply