Quantcast
More on recording flat vs phase shift? Living with the mud? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
More on recording flat vs phase shift? Living with the mud?
Old 20th December 2002
Nik
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have to say I agree with blackcat.

1. Know what you want and where you are going (mix).

2. Get it whilst tracking (but keep your mix in your head all the while)

3. Allow for 5% deviation (1-2 dB)

4. Put your peg in the ground and stand up! Yeah!

Life is TOOOO short to leave 5 variations on everything for the mix.

I did "no eq" for years but ever since I switched to "new and improved EQ" I have been so much happier.

If you call right now............

Of course depends on style of music too.

Nik
Old 24th December 2002
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Jules, i tried that flat thing last week and got pretty good results. do not have the budget for mastering but what i got i like, very real....no hype. of course it was recorded at 176.4 and 192k so that has taken my low end to a new level. everything just seems tight and fat without a lot of work.

peace on the flat earth john
Old 25th December 2002
"Jules, you've posted on a few occassions on your struggle with learning to record without eq. I wonder why you chose to start doing things this way? Is it just an experiment, or are you committed to this way of working for some reason? Have you found it to be better overall, or is the jury still out?"

Well, despite the trad route I took, I'm kind of a hack engineer, there is lots of room for improvement...

"Every day and in every way I am getting better & better"

Onwards & upwards!

Old 26th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by bassmac
The interesting thing about that Jay... is your mix sounded good - to you, until you compared it to a commercial CD. (haven't we all been there) But does that make your's bad - or just different?

I realize that many people here receive their paychecks based on how well their stuff compares to the latest radio hits, but...
Maybe it's between bad and different. I don't really compare to the radio stuff. One reject project had me comparing against Garbage and No Doubt. Even with adding 3-4dB of top to the mix buss it was still shy of where it needed to be. I haven't heard the reference disc from when Brad mastered it but I asked him to open it up and make it sparkle a bit. On this project I'm comparing to indie rock stuff. Lot's of Tchad Blake and John Agnello stuff floating around the control room at the moment and it just didn't have the presence. It wasn't too far off the mark but it wasn't where I wanted it either. Actually, I need to start a new thread on monitors because I've been thinking about this for a while. Maybe tomorrow.
📝 Reply