Gefen Extend-It.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gefen Extend-It....
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gefen Extend-It....

Anybody using one?

How does it work? Any problems / concerns with setup / distances?

I am looking to get one to get my freeking Mac (which I just upgraded with a Dual 1ghz Powerlogix card....smokin :D) OUT of the control room. With the new card, that makes FOUR fans in this thing...and that's crazy.

Anyway, I need to know if anybody is using one of the CAT5-1000 units from Gefen. I need to be able to extend USB as well as the monitor. But not just any USB....oh no.....I need it to be able to handle a USB audio interface.

I want to believe it will work. I want to believe that for 700 simoleons it will work flawlessly. But part of me is dubious of that much info travelling through the one CAT5 wire without hiccups.

Any feedback from users would be appreciated. I called and talked to their tech support, but the guy on the other end of the phone seemed:

a) stoned
b) disinterested
c) both a and b

And he just sort of said "pfft.....Yeah......it should work (sigh)" fuuck

Hell, I can give THAT sort of tech support. :eek:

Cheers
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Is this any help?

Disclaimer: I don't use this but a good friend does.
Endorsement: He likes his just fine.

He uses it to control his MAC from his booth and record himself doing voice-overs using PT mix. He's had it for a couple of years and has never complained about it.

I'll put a call into him and ask about USB length and if it's working well since he upgraded to HD.

Personally, I'll probably be looking for an iso-box of some sort to combat all the fan noise.

Good luck!
Old 9th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know... I've been through the usb extension debacle with my G4 enough to been steamed about it now. I finally have a workable solution, but it is rather clumsy.

Using two of NTI's 15' usb extension cables from my keyboard requires quickly unplugging the connection each time I shut down. Otherwise, the G4 will restart by itself! To achieve this quick slight of hand, I've velcroed the end of the usb cable under my desk with the connection between the keyboard and extension at hand. If I don't time it right, it restarts ..... madd

I've also tried Dr. Bott's Moniswitch USB2 wtih the same extension cables without much success. This was when I wanted to control two computers with one keybd/mouse/monitor. Well, it doesn't work. The monitor came up fine, but the mouse became either a simple point/click (instead of an 11 function Kensington) or was disabled. Dr. Bott's told me the company they contracted these boxes from discontinued them for reasons like mine. Little wonder.

Maybe the Geffen unit is the seventh wonder of the modern world, but I wouldn't try to carry digital audio over long distance usb.

Welcome to the wonderful world of usb extensions. They suck ass and I don't know if Apple has solved the usb interface port problem yet, but I'm not buying a new computer just to fix it. Was this problem ever fixed?

If anyone who has read this far knows of a better solution, I'm all ears (well, eyes).

p.s. - Fogetting to unplug my usb floppy drive, which is only 3' from the computer. also causes a restart. madd
Old 9th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Funny, I never have those kinds of problems with my JH-24. It does, however have it's own personality and set of glitches. I guess nothings perfect.

But, to keep it slightly on topic how usable are USB hard drives? Could I get away with recording two track data to one in real time? My PC has one IDE bay and I'm out of PCI slots. I also keep running out of drive space because I only have 6 gigs. Go ahead and laugh, I've done fine with it for two or three years.
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Kamurah, My buddy just called back to let me know that he's running about 30' with the CAT5 without any trouble. He also mentioned that Gefen is a tiny company and, more often than not, when he calls he talks with the owner and that he always has been happy with the tech support they provide.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Curious,

Did he happen to mention if he is using USB at all?

I really appreciate you asking him for me. Yeah, I actually think the Gefen box is a quality piece.....I was just a little "put off" at first with the apathy level of the person I talked to....

Maybe he was having a bad day

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Kamurah
Did he happen to mention if he is using USB at all?
[/B]
He only uses USB for keyboard and mouse. He keeps his PT Mac clear of printers and other USB apps, doesn't even have an I-lock hanging off.

He also said that the only time he had trouble with the Gefen, they swapped it out very quickly for him.

Good luck!
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I chose to do the "cheap" route instead of the Geffen. I found that you can extend regular vga monitors by 100' just by using a long monitor cable. I also use the usb 15' self powered cable as well and experienced the "self start" problem. It doesn't self start if you use an usb hub connected to the mac first in the chain, or last, as in your control room. Anyway, the whole thing was done for more like $60 for the cost of the cables. You can see pics of the studio layout, computer closet etc at my site. FYI, I also did much research on KVM set ups and have 2 seperate KVM switches. One setup switches between a Mac and Mackie Mixer, the other between the Mac and a PC. All those are PS2 style, using an USB to PS2 adapter on the Mac end.

dave
www.dbwproductions.com
Old 24th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by davey boy
I also use the usb 15' self powered cable as well and experienced the "self start" problem. It doesn't self start if you use an usb hub connected to the mac first in the chain, or last, as in your control room.
Actually, it does. At least on my G4 400 it does. I've tried powered and passive usb hubs both first and last in the chain (not both at the same time, of course). RESTART.
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i can endorse the cat5-3000, which is 2 monitors plus serial plus usb, for what i do. i run only midi and other general stuff over the usb (no audio) but it does generally quite well. i've got a hub on the end that gets a little picky with i-loks, but if you have it in the right place its all good. i don't know for sure if i would trust usb audio that you actually care about running over it, but i don't know that it wouldn't work.

the tech support was 50/50 for me getting mine set up. i spent about 2-4 weeks painfully trying to figure it out, troubleshooting crazy little tiny things in the setup and software blah blah blah and finally one of the techs said "ok well if none of that has worked try running your monitors at less than 85hz." something that would have been nice to have in the documentation. but anyhow, once i learned to NEVER set my monitors above 75hz, its been pretty good for me.

-a-
Old 12th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I have not tried this but a friend of mine hooked up a regular old style mac serial keyboard to a usb mac, using that imate device. he says it works perfect, even the power key works. in my old serial keyboard days I had a really long run on the keyboard/mouse cable, I don't recall but longer than I can get with usb.

One possible solution I guess...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…