The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What mics on toms?
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
What mics on toms?

What mics are you guys using on Toms? And also wut do u prefer for o/h's?
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Toms for me are Neumann TLM103's or Soundelux U195's. Both provide a bigger than life "more than accurate" reproduction of the toms, especially with the proximity effect. The type of preamp is essential for getting the right tone, something "Neve"-ish with a lower impedance setting and lots of iron in the box. I don't like dynamics nearly as much on toms, not enough detail and I don't particularly like the sound of the bleed. The new Soundelux ifet7 gets a quick test today, and then a more thorough test throughout the rest of the week.

Overheads for my tastes could be a lot of things...Soundelux U195's, Soundelux E47's, Brauner Valvet Voice, Neumann KM84's, Neumann KM86's, Any Royer or Coles pair, Combo of small diaphram and large diaphram. I like generally solid sounding mics on overheads, as opposed to mics with a more highly emphasized top end.
Old 8th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Usually 421's or MD504's on rack toms and the floor tom is a 414B/ULS, TLM103, D112 or 421 depending on my mood, what's already been used and what sounds good. I have been known to break out SM57's or an MXL V67G on rack toms from time to time but it's not what I usually start with.

For overheads it's either Oktava MC012's or AT4031's. I'm about to order another TLM103 so I'll give those a shot. I like U87's so they can't be too far off the mark. The Royer SF-12 is also a beautiful thing for overheads. I've used 451's a lot but I tend to stay away from bright mics if the player is a cymbal basher. One time it was so bad I ended up using 57's to calm the cymbals down.
Old 8th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sennheiser e504's (same as 604's) on toms. They cover a lot of bases, including being pretty damn impressive on dist. gtr. cab.

On rare occasions (read: great drummer) I'll put 4050's on toms. Sometimes a U87 on the floor tom.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Sennheiser e504's (same as 604's) on toms. They cover a lot of bases, including being pretty damn impressive on dist. gtr. cab.
The e604's have worked wonders for me on electric gtr's on more than a few occasions. The e604's are what I use on rack's with an MD421 mkII on floor. For the most part these work out pretty well for me but I really do need to expand my "mic locker"... yet another thing on the list for the new year. grudge
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys, it just so happens that all the mics u talked about were on my wish list(or mics to buy) for the studio im building.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
421's***, 414EB's, SM57's, Neumann KM84's on toms... Sometimes a RE20 or D12 on the Floortom.

On overheads I used to use Coles ribbons, 414's, C12's, or Earthworks, but since I got my Royer 122's, I DOUBT I WILL EVER CHANGE OH MICS AGAIN. These mics prove how important mic placement is.
Old 9th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
421's here.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

I use 604s on the toms, and AT 3525s for overheads... would love to try the Royers... but not enought $$ to spend
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Wut about Hi-hats????????
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I never mic it, there is always more than enough HH in the overheads. I'm usually having to remind the drummer to control his/her high hat volumes, they usually bash away on it and once it's pointed out that the HH could be a lot quiter the whole kit sounds a lot better. I think this is the culprit for most of the HH bleed into the snare mic too.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SM 81, or a 451... I always mic the hat even though I don't always use it. I try to get a lot of charater out of each hat from kit to kit.
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I really like the Audix D2's on toms, and sometimes the floor tom gets an Akg D112. (Placement is everything!) For overheads I like the Km184's and will be trying out some r121's soon.
Old 9th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by AgonizingpaiN
Wut about Hi-hats????????
AkG, usually - 460 or 480. It doesn't really matter, since I never turn up that track. But it makes a difference when the drummer is also doing percussion overdubs, That's because I usually use the hat mic for those. And then, I'll use a 480.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AudioTechnica AT3035's
Audix D2's
Shure Sm57's
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I sometimes like to use kick drum mics (D112's) on all the toms. If my ideal tom sound was a music video, it would be one of those old skool hip hop vids with the big butts in the camera..!

I recently tried those akg 3700's (bought in a panic one day and never used except once..)_like Mr Wagener was banging on about in his forum and they were actually very cool..loads of attack, minimal hi eq neeed ( and more low end obviously..I have a problem remember..)

I find myself using different mics all the time... I also have some condensers which I love for the attack, but they really don't get on with some cymbal heavy players.

What's a hi-hat mic ? Isn't that the bloody thing leaking into your snare the whole time ?!
Old 9th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
The e604's have worked wonders for me on electric gtr's on more than a few occasions. The e604's are what I use on rack's with an MD421 mkII on floor. For the most part these work out pretty well for me but I really do need to expand my "mic locker"... yet another thing on the list for the new year. grudge
The looks and/or comments I've gotten from guitar players before they heard playback have been pretty funny. I'll try to take a picture of the next guy who squirms and complains about the tiny mic on their guitar cab. I often combine the 504 with a LD condenser and a 57, but during mixing, I'm often using the 504 more than anything else.
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Toms - 421's
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
OH's - KM84, Coles, U87

I like the idea of some of those Soundelux mics though.
Old 10th December 2002
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Toms: TLM103s, C414BULSs, KM140s, KM86s, MD421s, MD409s...

O/Hs: M160s, R121s, MKH416s really high up, M149s, C414TLIIs...

I'm also interested in what others involved with the project want to try. I also try their's first, if applicable we change to something I've used before.

The best thing you can use for the tom sound are new skins which are in perfect tune. If necessary, I'd take great sounding drum toms over mic choice any day.
Old 10th December 2002
Founder

Me?

M149's
421's
KM86's
SM7's
...or none but this requires a great room & great drummer & drums IMHO
Old 10th December 2002
SawSlut

🎧 15 years
Toms: e604 or Rode NT1, depending on the drummer / music played. If it's a little more laid back, I'll go with the condensors, but if it's the usual "tear your face off" stuff I do, the 604's are the ticket.

Overheads: Oktava Mc012's... stereo matched.

-0z-
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Toms: 421, Audix D2, or AT 4047 if there are only 2 toms and I'm feeling saucy.

Overheads: U87 (mono), 4050, 4047, Pro 37R, SM81 (though they didn't belong to me, I need to get some)

Hat: Why?!?
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
to those of you that mic up all the toms...

- do you gate them?

- do you clean up the waveforms in your DAW to simulate a gate?

the only tom that ever gets a mic for me is the floor, and I often don't end up using it in the mix.

propper use of hypercardiod mics as overheads facing straight down at the kit seems to do toms just fine and dandy

anyone go about micing their toms from the bottom?
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by JayCrouch
to those of you that mic up all the toms...

- do you gate them?

No!!!!!........err IMHO.

>anyone go about micing their toms from the bottom?

Toms sounded fab. But not twice as good as a regular mic set up.
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
If necessary, I'd take great sounding drum toms over mic choice any day.
Did an album one time with an A&R guy trying to break in to production.
The engineer and I spent the morning working on the drum sound - with the usual suspects micwise.
The producer(?) strolled in after lunch, threw a wobbler, put all the hi-hat and overhead mics on the kick and toms and all the tom and kick mics on the hi-hats and cymbals.
A few months later when the album came out the drums sounded ****.
Old 10th December 2002
Founder

I was being given a tour of Air studio's Oxford St (now closed) while Dire Straights were in, they had a kit set up with condencers TOP & BOTOM on all toms.. Iwas 'amazed' (mainly at the expence, it wasnt possible to do at the studio I worked at, we didnt have the mic's)

Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Getting my stereo royer next week, at the moment for toms its a mixed bag of mics. will see whats needed after the royer comes.
AKG C418's if I cannot get into them
KM85, Beyer TGX10?, 604, AT25, D112.
It really depends on what can get under the cymbals and not hit and what sounds best for the player.
Kit wise normally 90% my kit but everyone sounds different.
OH's at the moment M160's up high.
Gates, perfer not too.. I know many do.. like the sound out of the tom mics. Although I do not compress the crap out of drums and like to leave the kick and snare un gated too.
πŸ“ Reply