The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic selection for Bodhran?
Old 16th March 2008
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Mic selection for Bodhran?

Hi all

I've got a recording coming up this week to record bodhran on a couple of tracks I'm working on.

The tracks have bass, guitar, a couple of male voices and jew's harp so far.

The mics I have handy are
1 - KM184
2 - AT4031
2 - AT4033a
1 - AT4050
2 - TLM103
1 - SM7b
1 - AKG C535
1 - Apex 205 ribbon Mic
1 - SM57
1 - SM58

I figure I should use two mics and I will be running them through a Chandler TG2. Though I wonder about using my Millennia Origin as well.

Any advice?
Old 16th March 2008
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ya know the Irish frame drum the Bodhran. (pronounced bowran)

No opinions on how to record it?
Old 16th March 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
OK MY FRIEND, I have had good results using 2 microphones to record several bohdrams, usually 1 dynamic as sm57 on the inside (where supported the hand) and a condenser as newman U87 on the opositte side ( the mallet or stick). Check either phase (typically must invert a phase of one Channel).
The amount or sound resulting from the mixing of the two mics will give you a sound thick with a good definition that often accompany with a couple of ribbon mics to 1 or 2 meters from the player to pick up the sound of the room. sorry for my bad English. Thank you and I will comment.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I usually record bendir, a frame drum the same size as bodhran. It's played by hand not with a stick. That would be the only difference. I usually use AKG C414. The replacement is obviously AT4050 in your case. I wonder how would 184 and sm7 sounds? Any Irish guys here? I am curious too about how you would approach it.
Old 16th March 2008
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi,
live, an SM57 is often used for a bodhran, usually because that's what is available from the PA company. I prefer the Beyer M201, and so do a couple of professional players that I've worked with regularly. Some use clip on drum mics like the Shure beta98 or the AKG C418(419?) model.

In the studio you may want to try 2 mics, perhaps a (hyper)cardioid dynamic up close on the inside for the bass boom from proximity effect (maybe your SM7) and try a SDC for some attack (KM184 or C535 should do fine), maybe on the other side of the drum. These can be panned somewhat for a nice effect.

Hope that helps,

Dave C.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deve ➑️
I usually record bendir, a frame drum the same size as bodhran. It's played by hand not with a stick. That would be the only difference. I usually use AKG C414. The replacement is obviously AT4050 in your case. I wonder how would 184 and sm7 sounds? Any Irish guys here? I am curious too about how you would approach it.
Actually I have tried the KM184 on the bodhran last time I recorded and I liked it but I can't even remember which side I put it on!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was just recording one a couple weeks ago. It depends on what you are going for. for a nice natural sound a LDC a foot or two back will give you good results. (head side for more attack, back for more tone) but you can also get some really fun results putting a dynamic really close to the backside of the head making use or proximity effect for a more dramatic sound.
Old 17th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just remember, the BΓ²dran can be varied in pitch during performance.

I always just use a 414ULS in omni as a room mic. That's all you really need.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➑️
I was just recording one a couple weeks ago. It depends on what you are going for. for a nice natural sound a LDC a foot or two back will give you good results. (head side for more attack, back for more tone) but you can also get some really fun results putting a dynamic really close to the backside of the head making use or proximity effect for a more dramatic sound.

I just finished an Irish record and in addition to room mics for the group of the 3 mics is used on the back side or different sessions the CMV 563 was probably the best, but it also sounded great as the vocal mic and the drummer is the singer. The D119es was good but the M88 was better. I piled on the low and it pretty cool!

Of you list maybe the SM7 or maybe the ribbon would be cool.
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I use a 57 fairly close or a LDC farther back on my bodhran. Sometimes I mic the front, sometimes the back. It's not in your list, but an RE-20 is like a wet dream.

Never had much luck with SDCs on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Many good advices here. Also keep in mind that the way the instrument is played, the performance, may introduce other mics or setups than the usual preferences.

Slan go foil

Ruudman
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Last time I used a LDC (don't remember which one) on the stick side and a beta 52a on the back of the bodhran. Sounded good. Probably not necessary to mention, but check phase.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks Slutz

Lots of great advice here!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=Drumsound;1915394]I just finished an Irish record and in addition to room mics for the group of the 3 mics is used on the back side or different sessions the CMV 563 was probably the best, but it also sounded great as the vocal mic and the drummer is the singer. /QUOTE]

That really funny. The last record I just did was a celtic band where the drummer was also the singer.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i recorded a track with baron a while back and i used a C414 on the back side of it and a KM184 on the front - it was the perfect combo - the 184 picked up all the highs and attacks and the 414 the deep and varying bass!

really good! i imagine for your situation a 184 on the front and perhaps a Audio Technica on the back but i don't know the mics well but a good large diaphragm vocal mic should suit it well
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Has anyone tried a MD421 on the back side of the Bodhran? Wonder if it might miss some of the 'overall' information that a SM57 would have but for low end information I reckon it'd be a good choice. Maybe in conjunction with a M201/SM57 taped to it and a U87 on the stick side.

Would like to hear any thoughts on this idea.

Cheers guys,

JN
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz ➑️
Has anyone tried a MD421 on the back side of the Bodhran? Wonder if it might miss some of the 'overall' information that a SM57 would have but for low end information I reckon it'd be a good choice. Maybe in conjunction with a M201/SM57 taped to it and a U87 on the stick side.

Would like to hear any thoughts on this idea.

Cheers guys,

JN
More than one mic is overdoing it. Don't make it so complex. MD421 will do no worse or better than a SM57. The range of the instrument isn't that extreme.

I have a 20" bodhran (girls never believe me until I show them). I usually reach for a RE20, SM57 or 441 if I happen to have one. 414s are good too.

For live I use a little gooseneck condenser (usually a Countryman Isomax II) that is attached to one of the crossbeams.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
any advice on getting the sub of the instrument. without using a sample alongside it, that is...

I'm recording a player next week. he's very experienced so i'm sure he'll have a couple of mic preferences of his own for me to explore.

good room helps...
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz ➑️
any advice on getting the sub of the instrument. without using a sample alongside it, that is...

I'm recording a player next week. he's very experienced so i'm sure he'll have a couple of mic preferences of his own for me to explore.

good room helps...
Stick a mic behind the drum in an appropriate recording environment. Use a mic that is susceptible to some proximity effect, as in not an RE20. The angle of the drum to the mic will determine the level of boom. If he's an experienced player, he should know how to work the mic.

It's a nuanced instrument in the hands of a good player. Very easy to get a tubby sound out of it, esp. if you over-mic.
Old 10th April 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yes. I have advice. I don't mean to be cranky, but you already have a ton of mics that will do the job beautifully. You have to try them out to see which one(s) work better for your application. Then you'll know in the future & not have to ask anyone. You already have the mics. You're not a newb with only so much money to spend on one first "right mic". You have quite a few. The best advice you can be given, is to get to know the mics you already have. Nobody can tell you those answers. If the sound is lacking AFTER you've done that, then it's more likely your technique that is the problem than the mics you own. Then it's a question of what am I doing wrong with my recordings. Not which mic should I buy or use. Bottom line? Get to know your own equipment. Then we can talk additional techniques that will make sense from hard earned experience. It's pretty curious that you would own that many mics, & not know which to try 1st or in what combo. That's putting the cart before the horse. Many people here, as always, are giving contrary views(use small diaphragm, don't use small diaphragm...etc... ) so you have to know your OWN gear before others advice will mean anything at all.

Last edited by emotion; 10th April 2018 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: Additional thought
πŸ“ Reply