Quantcast
DSP Power Idea - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSP Power Idea
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
DSP Power Idea

What if plug-ins were written in such a way that how you used them defined how much DSP they took up?

Instead, the amount of DSP they consume is determined by how many instantiations of the various plug-ins are afforded by a proprietary card or native system's CPU.

For instance, if you were using a PI reverb with fairly minimal settings, why couldn't the minimal processing be reflected by an equally minimal amount of DSP used?

Sure I'm daydreaming, but I bet a company like Digidesign wouldn't be very happy if this was the way it worked, because they would probably sell quite a few less processing cards.

Thoughts?
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Naa, You're not quite right here..

That would be like having a word processing program that was smaller if you only wrote small documents. Programming dosen't really work that way. Most DSP code is already minimized to the limit - it is actually the minimizing part that is the real art in this business..

Jakob Erland
Old 7th December 2002
Founder

Honey, I've shrunk the plugs!

heh
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I would like to know then as this minimizing technology goes on and upwards why even on a HD DSP chip Reverb 1 still uses a whole chip (been a while since my Mix Sys, but I'm sure it weren't 2). I know why it works at 96k on 1 chipa cause it down-samples to 48 or whatever.
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
One good reason to use partitioning is that what you can run on a MixFarm, HD Process card, Powercore, etc, is a known quantity, and either you do have enough horsepower for one more reverb, or the system doesn't let you open it. On a nonpartitioned system (such as all native systems) that one extra plug may chug along happily for awhile, but then your audio playback hits a place where it is somehow more demanding on the processor and your DAW grinds to a halt.

I have noticed that in Logic Audio, open plugs tend to let go of the CPU when they're not passing audio, whereas in Digital Performer, the system meter behaves as if it was a partitioned system, even though it isn't.
๐Ÿ“ Reply