Quantcast
mounting German V7x modules? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mounting German V7x modules?
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mounting German V7x modules?

I've got a Siemens V78 tube preamp that sounds great with certain mics. I've held off on mounting it as I had hoped to pick up a second unit and have the two mounted together as a portable stereo rig. While that is still a long term goal, I need to make the existing single V78 capable of rack mounting somehow. As I still do have this long term goal of a second unit, I was wondering if anyone has come up with a relatively simple and cheap method of mounting a single V7x module to a rack tray or other device that will allow it to be placed into a rack with my other preamps?

Astroman used to offer this extremely cool looking box called "Helga" that was custom designed for two V7x units. This time around, I'm just looking for a fast a dirty method of hanging my V78. Ideas?

thanks

steve
[email protected]
Old 7th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
How wide are they? Lay it on it's side and get a project box from Raxxess or MA that's wide enough to fit two modules. Or, if they aren't too tall you can put them next to each other. My V672's are racked horizontal side by side in a 2-RU box.
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mounting modules

I think I've found a working solution. The Middle Atlantic RC-4 mounting shelf seems like it will work very well in this application. And it will be useful for other purposes once I finally have the V78 permanently mounted with a second V78 module. The Mid-Atlantic unit is designed to "captivate" any loose piece of gear and hold it steady in a rack mount shelf unit. Kinda cool and no drilling required.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac...e/shelves2.htm

They're the second item down the page, called "Clamping" rack shelves. Anybody ever used one of these for any purpose?

Thanks.

steve
[email protected]
Old 8th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I've seen those, never used one though. I used one of these for my Tele's.

http://www.raxxess.com/product.asp?ID=430
Old 8th December 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Check out this box:

http://www.oneastroman.com/helga.htm

You can expand as you go...different modules too.
Old 8th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Now that's pretty cool. Looks like it takes all the hassle out of racking them up and getting a power supply together. I wonder if the solid state modules would work in those.
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No because the solid sate models run of +24v dc while the tube based stuff runs off straight 220V AC.
Of course that's all moot since these things haven't been produced for at least 3-4 years...
Unfortunately I might had!
Old 8th December 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Dave did a very nice job on my V-74s.
http://www.marquetteaudiolabs.com/telefunk.html
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Vxx modules

The Helga is the closest thing to a holy grail in pro audio. Every one I know who owns a V72/78 or even 76 module has inquired about obtaining one, and only one guy ever even got a response (sold out, not further production planned, and that was a few years ago) If it wasn't for the fact that I ONCE saw a picture of one someplace other than Astroman's site (forget where.....), I'd swear the whole thing was just vaporwear. As it is, its little more than a fantasy, unless someone out there can offer one up as proof.

steve
[email protected]
πŸ“ Reply