The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TC 1210: Anyone using it for vocals?
Old 6th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
TC 1210: Anyone using it for vocals?

Just curious I guess.

I got a couple of background efx chains i choose when mixing and was thinking about inserting the 1210 in one of them. Its just i can never get it to sit right on backgrounds. I know this box is great for instruments(guitars,strings and keys especially). Its also a great special effetcs box(Seal's opening voice on "Bring it on"-Seal's Human album).

I was wondering if anyone had any success with it. I've never really dug the TC Electronic choruses and flanges(I've got 2290,Fireworx,Gforce), this box is actually the closest to something that's usable from them.

Any ideas?
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's funny I've been thinking about trying one of those lately but they are about as common as kangaroos around here... yuktyy
Old 6th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
It's funny I've been thinking about trying one of those lately but they are about as common as kangaroos around here... yuktyy
Well its going to get harder since TC discontinued them.
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
These boxes are great as bus sends from Background vocals. They are a little noisey/trashey, but I like that sound.
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
These boxes are great as bus sends from Background vocals. They are a little noisey/trashey, but I like that sound.
Well I do know they are a pair of the stomp boxes in the rack. I do love the flanging though. I am always looking for a new flange for backgrounds. Something soft and warm, but that can be heard when all of the backgrounds are mixed together.

Instead of doing subs for backgrounds, I normally do chains. Like the most common chain I use for backgrounds is an all Roland chain(enhancer-chorus-flange-spatial reverb/delay).yuktyy

It tends to blend better than having things seperate. I do the seperate thing though when the backs aren't tracked as well and I have to create the gel.
Old 8th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
What's the average ratio of wet to dry you use for chours/flange/phase on vocals?
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
What's the average ratio of wet to dry you use for chours/flange/phase on vocals?

Hi Jay,

What are you trying to do...make me think?

Seriously, it all depends on the contents of the background tracks. Are they all female,all male,a mixture, or solo male/female doing all of their backgrounds?

I think an easy answer is chorus(either a true chorus effect or two delays with slightly different settings/eq) are the dominant factors. I almost always run these totally wet ino the other units.

I almost always put an enhancer before the chorus so I don't chorus the actually low mid freq's, just the high mids and highs. It gives the backgrounds a certain sheen that spreads nicely. I think this works great for bass also if you want to get a nice clear bass sound in the upper freqs.

I tend to use flanging more as a warming effect(works better for females than males). Someitmes I will put one side out of phase from the other(but not in the chain).

For spatial reverbs it varies mostly on the track content. Does the music track have a lot of highs(percussion and high hats)? Is it busy? Is it an open song etc.

I like choruses to sound wide, so when the chorus of a song hits you know you are there. I tend to keep the extremes of my mixes(hard left and right) reserved for this, so I spend a lot of time on placement of the other elements so they feel like they are there until the chorus and then boom!!

πŸ“ Reply