Quantcast
PT folks....how to beef up your sound repacer library?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT folks....how to beef up your sound repacer library??
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PT folks....how to beef up your sound repacer library??

I've been trying to be persistent in keeping my sound replacer library growing (kiks,snrs,claps etc.) by taking the time to edit the good stuff from sessions in progress, usually at the end of the day. I'll try and get the drummer to give me some different levels of clean single hits after the take.
Wondering what others do and or if you've bought library stuff to use as well... if so, what do you like? I've got all the old standby's, Clearmountain, tons of Akai and other stuff I've collected over the years that I havent converted yet....tedious work.

e-cue, do you use Sound Replacer much or do you trigger your f-16? ( if so I'd love to know if triggering F-16 via hardware insert in PT / back in to PT would lag to much to be worth hunting down an F-16...I miss that box )

Anyone interested in a Sound Replacer trade of home made stuff?
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I usually use sounds from previous sessions but because of the studio kit, many sound similar and I'm now starting to supplement with some CD's.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: PT folks....how to beef up your sound repacer library??

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz

e-cue, do you use Sound Replacer much or do you trigger your f-16? ( if so I'd love to know if triggering F-16 via hardware insert in PT / back in to PT would lag to much to be worth hunting down an F-16...I miss that box )

Anyone interested in a Sound Replacer trade of home made stuff?
Well it depends on several things. My F-16 is one of, if not THE, best peice of gear I have ever bought. Being able to quickly 'tune' the pitch of the drum sample is a staple to my mixes. If I'm soundreplacing a ride cymbal on a ballad, sound replacer is the way to go. Even when I use my F-16, I usually print the replaced sample so I can make sure I didn't mis trigger something. This way I can also nudge the waveforms perfectly in phase so it's tight as balls. (are balls tight? who the hell came up with that saying? Some dude with tight balls? it must've come from a cool climate... I digress)
After everyone of your mixes, I suggest you print a "drums dat" (cd, etc) After a year you'll have some pretty kick ass samples to work with. Also, if you hear a song with some drum sounds you like, try to find an open hit and snatch it off the commercial cd.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: PT folks....how to beef up your sound repacer library??

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue

After everyone of your mixes, I suggest you print a "drums dat" (cd, etc) After a year you'll have some pretty kick ass samples to work with.
Now thats a bloody good idea!
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: PT folks....how to beef up your sound repacer library??

Quote:
Being able to quickly 'tune' the pitch of the drum sample is a staple to my mixes.
Grabbing a knob to tune is what I miss as well....and the "punchiness". I don't miss the load time but I sold mine(and an f 9000) before the hard drive and remote came out. (if you run across an f 16 for sale, I'd love to pick one up)

i really think that someone could create a niche with a newer version of the F-16. DDrum is close but still haven't touched the trigger speed.

Love to trade some stuff....gotta get through this studio re-build but when I do I'll turn you on to my Simmons SDSV library. btw, if you can find one (sdsV) with the Vince Guteman mod...what a killer adjunct to the f-16. adding whitenoise to a detuned kik..... I'm veklempt....
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The remotes do tend to "die" from time to time. Thank god Bruce Forat is just down the street. When people add samples in, one of the main things they do wrong is look for the perfect sample. In my sample library, I have TONS of samples that sound like crap by themselves, but are perfect for adding in. But to this day, my favorite kick sample is one I stole the idea from a Bob Clearmoutain disc: Throwing a basketball against the control room window. I literally took different samples with different air pressures.
Old 6th December 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
How? Have some of the top producers work on projects in your studio and have them give you their sample libraries.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Complete Clavia DDrum library for free!

If you've want some top notch sounds and don't want to pay.....go here:

http://www.clavia.se/ddrum/sounds/index.htm

Download all the drums, then use this program to audition them:

http://www.clavia.se/ddrum/software.htm#tool

you need to route the audio into another program to record them.......took me a few hours but was well worth it..........i haven't found a better drum library, and i been lookin'!
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
e-cue,
I had an F-16 for a while and it kept ****ting itself. I finally gave up on it. Is yours a later model?
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by s2n
How? Have some of the top producers work on projects in your studio and have them give you their sample libraries.
Actually, they usually ask ME for samples. But like a said, a drums dat at the end of every mix is a great way to go, so I guess, yeah...They do give me their samples.
Quote:
Originally posted by drundall
e-cue,
I had an F-16 for a while and it kept ****ting itself. I finally gave up on it. Is yours a later model?
I don't think it's a later model, but I had Bruce tweek it several times: put in a zip drive, more memory, software upgrade, backlite remote, etc. If you see one for less than $2,000, I'd highly suggest it. IDrop an extra $300 to have Forat do any ipgrades. 'm sure soundreplacer has helped drop the price of these, but it is definately one of my staple peices.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
my favorite kick sample is one I stole the idea from a Bob Clearmoutain disc: Throwing a basketball against the control room window. I literally took different samples with different air pressures.
Does it need to be thrown against a window, or will any hard surface do?
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Window worked the best for us. We also tried it against a metal garbage can for a "snare" sample, but it didn't rock our socks off. Throw the basketball hard, but catch it soft so you can capture the decaying ring.
Old 6th December 2002
no ssl yet
For those that cant get a forat, there's a cool midi trigger on the MPC 60 that usually works. Or if you can get a copy of the midi file just sequence a kick in ptools and use SSC or some other soft sample.

Since all of my tracks start out with ptools synced to my MPC via Midi clock, It's no problem to drop maybe 3 kicks (compressed un compressed etc behind the original.

Since my tracking gear is minimal. I'm thinking about cutting through an aux channel with say:
1 Compressor bank
2 FiilterBank filter
3 Bomb factory comp

With these channels all in bypass. this way when I cut a kick with different compression and filter settings they all get recorded with the same amount of latency and I have already tweaked them abit

Is this a good idea? Has anyone tried? What are the drawbacks that I'm missing?
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I don't think it's a later model, but I had Bruce tweek it several times: put in a zip drive, more memory, software upgrade, backlite remote, etc. If you see one for less than $2,000, I'd highly suggest it. IDrop an extra $300 to have Forat do any ipgrades. 'm sure soundreplacer has helped drop the price of these, but it is definately one of my staple peices.
do you remember what the remote cost? did you buy it new?

think I'm gonna call the Forat boys up and see if they got a line on a machine.
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Complete Clavia DDrum library for free!

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius
If you've want some top notch sounds and don't want to pay.....go here:

http://www.clavia.se/ddrum/sounds/index.htm

Download all the drums, then use this program to audition them:

http://www.clavia.se/ddrum/software.htm#tool

you need to route the audio into another program to record them.......took me a few hours but was well worth it..........i haven't found a better drum library, and i been lookin'!
hey Jazzius

any idea how a Mac user might get hold of these sounds?...
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
do you remember what the remote cost? did you buy it new?

think I'm gonna call the Forat boys up and see if they got a line on a machine.
I got mine used for about $1,500 with the remote and had Bruce give it a run down: memory upgrade, internal zip drive, backlight remote, etc... which was about $300. He's a busy man so expect about a month wait if you do this. Totally worth it.
πŸ“ Reply