Quantcast
192 sample rates on PT HD 192 I/O????? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
192 sample rates on PT HD 192 I/O?????
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
192 sample rates on PT HD 192 I/O?????

As many of you know I work for Benchmark Media, and recently our engineers were testing our new DAC1 on a Pro tools HD system, and when they went to hook up the DAC1 to the HD192 AES digital out, the box to select the sample rate on a 192k project was greyed out and neither they or the engineer who owned the system had any idea how to get a 192 digital signal to the digital output. Does anyone know if this is possible? It appears that the digital output does not support the 192k sample rate.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I never tried running it at 192k but I'm really not sure that this sampling rate is supported on the AES i/o's. Is it supposed to be supported in the AES digital signal standard definition in the first place? I don't have my 192 user manual nearby so I can't check right now, maybe someone here has his...
Maybe you could check on Digi's site they should have this info available with the 192 specs.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 192 I/O does support 192 Khz digital transfers on its aes/ebu I/O's ..... but it runs in dual wire mode at that sample rate, meaning that you need 2 channels of aes to transfer 192 Khz. Thus reducing the number of channels to 4 instead of 8.

The 192 also has a aes (encl) mode ... a stereo pair of aes connectors at the back of the 192. These outputs do not support the dual wire mode and therefore do not operate at 192 Khz.

Make sure you're using the db25 aes connectors for 192k operation.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I called tech support and they said it was probably a software bug that kept the selection box greyed out. Oh well.
Old 4th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
atticus,

Since you're obviously having a chance to compare the 192 to your benchmark stuff, any comments on what rung of the converter quality ladder the 192 holds?

I understand if you can't comment due to company restraints.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jax,

You won't really find me saying anything bad about another companies products. I happen to love Benchmark converters but that's not just due to brand loyalty because I work here. A great engineer can make most anything sound good. For example, I'm friends with an engineer in Ithaca, Ny who hasn't yet "upgraded" to PT HD. He is still using 888's (albeit clocked with a different clock) into a Neve VR. His stuff sounds amazing, and not a Benchmark (or Prism, or Mytek, or Apogee, or Cranesong) converter in sight (althought he is getting a DAC1 when they start shipping again). This guy has the skills to make it sound good, and none of his stuff is the latest and greatest. As for the HD converters, used properly, they're fine. I will say that the more experienced engineers with the means will generally buy the best gear available as it will allow them to reach their potential and not be held back by the shortcomings of the gear. Benchmark's philosophy, and I'm sure other companies hold to this as well, is to build gear for those people who want to grow into and with their gear, not be held back by it. Sorry for the diatribe
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
Jax,

You won't really find me saying anything bad about another companies products. I happen to love Benchmark converters but that's not just due to brand loyalty because I work here. A great engineer can make most anything sound good. For example, I'm friends with an engineer in Ithaca, Ny who hasn't yet "upgraded" to PT HD. He is still using 888's (albeit clocked with a different clock) into a Neve VR. His stuff sounds amazing, and not a Benchmark (or Prism, or Mytek, or Apogee, or Cranesong) converter in sight (althought he is getting a DAC1 when they start shipping again). This guy has the skills to make it sound good, and none of his stuff is the latest and greatest. As for the HD converters, used properly, they're fine. I will say that the more experienced engineers with the means will generally buy the best gear available as it will allow them to reach their potential and not be held back by the shortcomings of the gear. Benchmark's philosophy, and I'm sure other companies hold to this as well, is to build gear for those people who want to grow into and with their gear, not be held back by it. Sorry for the diatribe
Hi Atticus,

When do you think they will start shipping again? I own a HEdd 192, but have never been that crazy about the DAC. I was looking at your unit, along with some other audiophile units.

Is this unit marketed to the the professional audio or audiophile crowd? I will probably use it for both.

Thanks.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The DAC1 is built for anyone who wants the best DAC for under $1k you can buy. It hasn't really been marketed to the Audiophile community but we have been getting a lot of buyers who use it for personal listening, both over monitors and with headphones. We didn't set out to build a no holds barred esoteric box, we just wanted to bring extreme quality and durability down into the import price range. So far some pretty heavy hitters have bought the box, including Skywalker Sound and the Dave Matthews Band, among others, and those guys can afford pretty much anything they want. Keep in mind that the DAC1 will only work with PCM data, so SACD's and DVD-V's won't work with it. I had a chance to directly A/B the DAC1 with the Hedd at Fletcher's place throught a RADAR and they do sound quite a bit different from each other, but both sounded great. The Hedd obviously has more features and to a lot of people those are worth the extra money. I guess the famous YMMV applies here. The DAC1 will start shipping again on or around 12/16, but there are a bunch of units backordered. You're (or anyone else for that matter) are more then welcome to visit our shop here in Syracuse, NY should you so desire to see how we build the thing (no schematics, though)
Old 4th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
Sorry for the diatribe
No diatribe at all, but with me, you're preaching to the converted. I know it's not about the tools as much as what is done with them.

I expected this response and I understand why you are not at liberty to discuss what you heard. Just thought I'd see if you would.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The only qualms with DIGI from my limited experience is that I'm not sure that the 96 and 192 claims are entirely accurate, for example, our DAC1 will decode 192k signals and for some it would be enough to call that a 192 converter. But the analog circut that is in the DAC1 has a 48k bandwidth, enough or 96k digital, but not 192, so we call it a 96k converter. Digi won't publish (not that I've been able to find, anyway) the analog bandwidth of their converters. I even called them to see if they could tell me and they couldn't or wouldn't. With that said, to me, ours sounded better. I have a CD that was recorded on an HD system using our converters and mic pres that I can send to anyone that wants to listen to it. Sure, it's only 16 bits, but we made damn sure all 16 bits were on there so that you, the end listener, could, in the immortal works of our own Jack Ortman, have "the highest bit ratios" heh We will be releasing a 24/96 DVD-A of this music as well. We just scored a Minnetonka Disc Welder Chrome system which should be fun to play with
Old 4th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Although I don't know the conditions under which the Benchmark CD was recorded (players, engineers, console, mics, room, etc.), I would like to hear this CD.

Can you explain the CD in some detail?

I'll pm you with my contact info.
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The CD is called "High Hopes" and it is a collection of jazz and Swing pop standards that were written by a Syracuse native named Jimmy Van Heusen. The CD was recorded with a nice selection of mics (U47's, KM 56's, etc...) into 16 channels of our MPS-400 mic pre into our converters (ad2408-96) into PT. It's a cool sounding record.
πŸ“ Reply