Limiting on in house masters? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Limiting on in house masters?
Old 30th November 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Limiting on in house masters?

If I were to use either a Vari Mu or Fatso to a 747 (eq) to a Masterlink would I also need something like a L2 or Finalizer for brick wall compression or would the Vari Mu or Fatso do for an end product or perhaps the Limiter/Normalizer on the Masterlink?
Thank you
Old 1st December 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Or perhaps the soft limit on my Apogee Rosetta?
Old 2nd December 2002

🎧 15 years
If you "need" a brick wall limiter, then that's what you need... was that your question?
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Kinda, I've never used a non analog brick wall limiter other than the one on my masterlink and I rarely use it? Being unfamilar with them, my question is it considered a necessity when mixing to a digital format if I'm using other nice analog comps?
Thanks
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Using an analogue limiter will allow you to get more level into you A/D, but i've yet to hear an analogue limiter i really like (but i haven't heard an STC-8). I'd avoid the soft limit thing unless your looking for a crunchy sound . Maybe the waves L2 but not on RnB or Rap (eats transients for breakfast)....if your drums are nice and loud you could try a bit of internal clipping......clipping can sometimes be the most transparent limiting.
Old 2nd December 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Dig limiters are used for level (to make it 'loud'). If you must make it loud, use something like an L2, but if you're simply mixing for sound quality, forget the dig limiters...
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius
Using an analogue limiter will allow you to get more level into you A/D, but i've yet to hear an analogue limiter i really like (but i haven't heard an STC-8). I'd avoid the soft limit thing unless your looking for a crunchy sound . Maybe the waves L2 but not on RnB or Rap (eats transients for breakfast)....if your drums are nice and loud you could try a bit of internal clipping......clipping can sometimes be the most transparent limiting.
Are you talking about analog or digital clipping? I've never heard a digital clip that was at all transparent.
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yes, i'm talking about flat topping the wave with 111111's in the DAW......it really depends how you define transparent.......the L2 is transparent in the sense that it'll limit without causing distortion, but it will severaly diminish the impact of the attack of a loud percussive sound such as a snare or a clap......internal clipping is not transparent in the sense that it may cause a small ammount of audible distortion, but it is more transparent then the L2 in terms of the impact (on us) of certain transients......so it really depends on the transparency of WHAT we're talking about.......also, clipping may allow smaller speakers to play louder than they would be able to if there were big transient spikes in the source. I'll take cover now
πŸ“ Reply