Chosing a Preamp...TAMPA, HHB, or JM - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chosing a Preamp...TAMPA, HHB, or JM
Old 29th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years

Hi,

Would anyone have any opinions on the following units for both vocals and accoustic guitar recording? The effects it has on my barely decent voice for vocals is a greater concern.

My mics are a Neumann KMS 105, an AKG c1000s, and a Shure SM 58 at this time.

HHB Radius 40
M-Audio TAMPA
Joe Meek Twin Qcs

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 29th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Re: Chosing a Preamp...TAMPA, HHB, or JM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Walsh
Hi,

Would anyone have any opinions on the following units
HHB Radius 40
M-Audio TAMPA
Joe Meek Twin Qcs
Yes, they all are perfect for fire wood....
Old 30th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Chosing a Preamp...TAMPA, HHB, or JM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
Yes, they all are perfect for fire wood....
dfegad Another helpful Gearslutz post...

Hi Mike,

First post? Well, welcome to Gearslutz. Believe it or not, this place can and DOES offer some honest and HELPFUL insight. Sometimes. This isn't one of them.

I haven't heard any of these but maybe somebody else will chime in about suitable pre-amps in your price range. They'll probably ask a few more questions like type of music, budget and recording medium but hopefully they'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

Good luck,

R.
Old 30th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Hi Mike, welcome!

Here's what (little) I know regarding your list.
IIRC, Jules has posted that the HHB Radius 40 is a good sounding channel strip. John Mellencamp likes the "Meek" sound and has used VC1Q's on his recent recordings, per Alan Hyatt at Studio Projects, who helped set up the sessions.

Other mic pre's to check out;
1) Studio Projects VTB-1 mic pre (I have one, very good IMHO)
2) Fmr. Audio RNP dual mic pre (supposed to be excellent too)

Other compressors;
1) Fmr. Audio RNC (nice and clean)
2) Joe Meek MC2 (for "color")

Other parametric EQ;
1) ASC Speck
2) Aphex 109 (discontinued-onlu available used)

Above list not intended to be exhaustive (or exhausting), just some gear to try out. If it was to equip Abbey Road Studios it might look quite different!

Hopefully, the more advanced members than myself will chime in soon.

Chris
Old 30th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years

Okay, a few good comments and one that is...well...interesting.

Is the Joe Meek Twin Qcs just a double unit of the VC1Q's?

Thanks,
Mike Walsh
Old 30th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
I seem to remember that's correct.
If you go to www.joemeek.com they have reviews available for your review, along with detailed info.
Also, you could e-mail Alan Hyatt at www.pmiaudio.com, and he or his staff are happy to answer any questions.
(I know cause I had lots!)

Chris
Old 30th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Is the Joe Meek Twin Qcs just a double unit of the VC1Q's?

Hi Chris,

www.pmiaudio.com is coming up as a bad link. Is that typed incorrectly?

***Never mind. The link you have has a commas at the end. I got there okay. Thanks.

Thaks,
Mike
Old 30th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Mike,

That Radius sounds quite boxy and closed to me and I've never really cared for most of the Meek stuff. The Tampa I've only seen in ads and reviews and all this pseudo techno babble their marketing department feels they have to come up with to make it attractive doesn't really give me much confidence in it.

I would strongly suggest looking at something like the RNMP + RNC combo. (I don't think anything else in that price range can touch them.) They may provide you with a signal path you'll still be using in 10 years compared to whatever flavor of the month is hyped in the current EQ and that you'll most likely outgrow pretty fast.

I, for one, am looking to put some RNMP's in the rack for extra channels alongside my way more expensive units.

The only way to make sure what you really like is to try as many different units as you can before making your final choice.

BTW, I would look REALLY seriously into upgrading you mic options also to get the best out of your new signal path.

Hope that can be helpful to you!
Old 30th November 2002
Founder

Mike, The RN range has such a great rep on the net, it might be unwise to overlook it. It is known for its value for money / no frills design.

Old 30th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Meek twin QCS is indeed a dual channel VC1Qcs. I traded some studio time for new VC1Qcs and it has surprised me at how decent and useable it is. I was only interested in the Meek compressor sound and got way more than I expected. While the the micpre and Eq are no Neve or API, or John hardy, they are still very good and sound better than what is on any Mackie. I think it has great price for performance value and is better than the HHB or M-Audio stuff.
Old 30th November 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've tried the JoeMeeks and the HHB (TLAudio) and would recommend the Peavey VMP-2 well above those (around 700 new for two channel all tube design with eq on both channels). To ME it is much higher quality then the others mentioned. Also Summit Audio has a solid state-tube pre comming out this month that will go for under $600 might be worth giving a try.
Old 1st December 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years

I haven't found any sites online where I could order a Peavy VMP-2 if I so desired. Has anyone any idea who handles the sale of these>

Thanks
Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by Coldsnow
I've tried the JoeMeeks and the HHB (TLAudio) and would recommend the Peavey VMP-2 well above those (around 700 new for two channel all tube design with eq on both channels). To ME it is much higher quality then the others mentioned. Also Summit Audio has a solid state-tube pre comming out this month that will go for under $600 might be worth giving a try.
Old 1st December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Mike, in the latest Tape Op magazine issue there's a review by
Brian Lucey on various Studio Projects products like the VTB-1 mic pre,
and their "B" series of microphones. He thought the VTB-1 should
"put the RNMP or Grace to task with its combination of tone and value".
(It's really called the RNP now instead of RNMP)
He described the sound as a "pleasing, big and clear tone".

It sounds stunning on the favorite dynamic microphone (so far) for my
vocals, the Beyer M88TG IMHO. Also does very well on the SM57, Beyer
Soundstar's MKII & X19, Peavey 520i, and Shure Beta 57A.
The Soundstars and even the Peavey (!) are "sleeper" vocal mikes BTW.
The MKII is superior to the SM58, and the X1 or X19 is the slightly punchier
Beyer answer to the Sennheiser 421. Your Neumann must sound great though!

Chris

P.S. Your best place to find the Peavey VMP-2 will be e-bay, as they're
discontinued.
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Actually it's the Peavey VCL-2 opto compressor that has been discontinued. Shame too it was one of the best deals in pro audio. But anyways, the VMP-2 is alive and kicking and don't expect to find too many on ebay people usually don't part with them even when they go into higher end gear. Anyways, Peavey has this weird thing where dealers can't put prices of their items on the web. You need to contact a dealer that deals in their AMR product line. Their are many, but you can look up www.brightonmusic.com find the 800 number and ask Rich to get you a price or you can look up Medley music in phili and ask for Domenic. I won't give numbers cause I'm not sure Jules would appreciate that (I'm not affiliated with either of these or any music gear selling, I only give them my money). Anyways there are tons of others as well.
Anyways, when talking about the Studio Project pre you are comparing apples and oranges. They use a (I believe) Burr Brown op amp in stead of transformers and a single tube which acts as a warming device. The Peavey uses transformers on the ins and outs of each channel and 8 tubes throughout. The tubes arn't there for effect they are the circuit. Every review you read about any lower priced product always claims the unit sounds like units costing twice or three times as much (they've found some cheaper parts or they are using slave labor in China to bring cost down), the Peavey unit not only sounds like high end unit costing close to 2K, it actually is put together inside and out with the high quality components that other manufacters would charge two times as much for. Truthfully, I don't know how they do it, there can't be that much of a profit margin on them.
Old 2nd December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Thanks Mike (Coldsnow) for the correction on the VMP-2.
Guess I shouldn't believe everything I read.

On the VTB-1, the "tube blend" feature is separate from the signal path
of the mic pre unless you dial it in. It took me some time to use this added
feature properly. It can take some of the high end "edge" off bright mikes,
and can help mellow/thicken the mid-range. Like a Meek compressor,
however, a little goes a long way. I noticed the used prices for the VMP-2
has been going up on e-bay lately. Saw some that sold around $450
I think not too long ago in good condition.

Chris
Old 2nd December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
What mic pres are you using now? I have a Meek and would hardly consider using it on everything. The signiture is way too strong. I'd imagine the VTB-1 is the same way from the "toob" as a warming device setup but I could be wrong. The VMP-2 is great and has a bit of a signiture to it. It's not so bad on digital but I wouldn't use it on everything if I were going analog the whole time. I'd also look into the Grace 101, RNP and the Old School Audio stuff. None of those are outragously expensive and they all (I haven't heard the RNP but people I trust say it's great) sound great.
πŸ“ Reply