The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I'm buying an Emu sampler. Please let me hear what you think!
Old 24th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I'm buying an Emu sampler. Please let me hear what you think!

Hello. This is my first post!!

I'm a student hoping to be a professional film composer. After doing some part-tims jobs, I can fnally afford a sampler.

I'm considering buying an Emu sampler, the E4XT.
It costs only $1195, right now.
http://www.emu.com/barginsamplers/bargin.html

I was told several times that Giga studio is the choice for composers, but I don't have enough momey to buy it. Well, actually, I can afford it, but the orchestral libraries for giga are too expensive for me, and I want to play a sampler live.
I palyed the E5000 the other day. I thought it sounded amazing, but I have never palyed Giga or haerd the $4000 strings sounds, so I can't compare the products.

What do you think of my choise?

If you use an Emu, please let me know what you think. What libraries do you have?

Power Mac G4, Digital Performer 3,
Nraki,
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well I guess the key issue is that you want to play your sampler live, other than that factor, I would say that the most exciting samplers are soft, like Kontakt, which is Mac friendly but not sure about compatibility with DP. (I expect it is.)

Hardware samplers are a dying breed so if you want one you are well poised to drive a hard bargain new or second hand, make sure it has alot of ram and backup/storage sorted. These essential extras can really push up the cost.

I had an Emu for a while the E6400. It had noisy outputs but was pretty beefy apart from that. I prefer the integration, sophistication and expandibility of softsamplers. They are also cheap. Kontakt will be streaming from disc soon too, and importing giga lib's, it does the key other makes already.

It depends how powerful your G4 is too and how much native processing strain the CPU is under anyway. You may find yourself too stretched at this point with a softsampler. You could always try Kontakt (or best DP softsampler) as a demo and if you like it buy it and get a second hand, very cheap, Emu aswell for live and extra studio muscle.

Good luck
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Just try to buy for longevity. What happens when you sink money into this Emu, libraries and such....then a year from now your fed up with the mediocre sound, and your Giga buddies are doing amazing work that you can't begin to touch?
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have an EIV Emusynth (Emu IV + Dance rom and phat rom) loaded ram (128) orb drive, cdrom, and a cdrom library.... I used it for one project a while ago and it's been sitting in a box ever since...I've been meaning to sell it forever...anyway if you want it let me know...I switched to logic and just bought exs sampler so Im gonna stick with that...

Old 25th November 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I've had my E6400 Ultra for around three years now. I am absolutely in love with it. I don't use any commercial banks, so I can't help you there, but I know there are some high-quality sets out there. Giga seems set up for orchestral stuff, so it may have the edge in sound, but that's the thing about samplers - you can have whatever sound you like out of them. As for sound quality, I have had no problems whatsoever. The filters have a very distinctive quality, and their frequency response around the cutoff is pretty unusual (i.e. not linear). However, this is easily worked around if it becomes a problem.

One thing to realize is that the Emu sampler is a very complex device, in some ways more like a computer than an instrument. The depths of the machine are incredible; if you are willing to take the time to really learn it you can get some amazing results. It does take a good amount of time, though.

People are playing live with their Ultra's and the emu list has a fair amount of discussion on this topic.

As for the soft vs. hard sampler debate, here's my two pennies. All of the soft samplers I've tried suffer from some major drawbacks. Primarily, they seem to me to be more 'sample playback' instruments than a full-fledged sampler. The flexibility in terms of programming and sound-tweaking pales in comparison to hardware. If you do lots of processing and tweaking in an editor, then use the softsampler as a playback device, that may be fine. The advantage is that of all soft-synths: easy management of files and programs. And no cables
Old 1st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i cant remember that ive ever heard a bad thing about the emu samplers . they were most time in front compared to all the others . but :

a sampler sounds just as good as the sounds you load in .
thats why i picked up the akai . i know some people who have em , too . so we are able to exchange sounds .

bout all those software samplers ... the akai has a own sound , the emu has , the kurzweil is great and a "inthebox " sampler is a good to have option ( especially with loops & the ram thing ) . but i dont like the sound a lot .

with orchestra libaries you´ll need to have as much ram memory as you can have ( thats why the giga sampler is a good tool ) .
you run veryvery fast out of 256 mb sample ram .

the backup thing is another holy grail if it comes to samplers .

the "inthebox" solution is fixing that real well ( you can add hds , burners , etc . ) . but carrying it around ... you´ll probably need a expensive laptop solution .

just some infos , hope that helps

there are advantages & disadvantages on any system .
the usual " same old sad song "
heh

good luck
Old 1st December 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you so much. These are really really helpful.

"with orchestra libaries you´ll need to have as much ram memory as you can have ( thats why the giga sampler is a good tool ) .
you run veryvery fast out of 256 mb sample ram"

Does this mean I need lots of ram to paly orcestra patches?
The emu has only 64/128 mb..
I have a full 88 key digital piano. I'd like to play a full orchestra with the keyboard live. Do the hardware samplers which have little ram have limites to what I can paly at the same time??

Thank you.
Old 1st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
basically yes ( i am not really into the " newest " technologies ) .

there are samplers which are able to play samples straight from disk ( disks are fast nowadays , this was a major problem in the past ) . [ dont know about the emu ] .

most hardware samplers i know :

you load the sounds into the ram memory . and the samplers playing it back from the ram buffer . as bigger as the ram size is as more sounds you can load into the sampler .
as better as the sound quality of the soundsamples is the more ram they " eat " . if you sample just one simple tone and layer it over the key range it wont " eat " a lot of memory .
but if you are talking bout good sounding samples it requires at least , that any available note you can play is sampled . most times there are more samples for one note ( like f.ex 4 ) to cover a natural dynamic range . so there are f.ex piano samples that take 2 mb of the ram and there are piano samples that eat 256 or even 1000 mb of ram heh ( thats why its called GIGASAMPLER )

if you are talking bout those high end orchestral collections , you wont be able to play a full orchestra with 128 mb of ram . there are tons of sounds on those cds . and it also depends on the voices the sampler can play .

you play f.ex 6 notes , 6 voices are gone . if you load into your sampler f.ex 10 sounds you wanna play back the same time , you would need 60 voices .

to emulate a realistic orchestra you would need tons of gear .

to give it a try anyway , load some sounds into your sampler ( violins , vioals , cellos ) and add some " cheap soundmodules " with some orchestral sounds . the mixture of the different sounds is maybe what you are looking for and it will sound full & fresh .

good luck
📝 Reply