The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac power amps
Old 23rd November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Mac power amps

We just got some old MacIntosh 60's{x2} and 30's{x2}.Big old tube poweramps{mono blocks}..Anyways anyone used them for powering monitors?Right now we are useing a Parasound 2200 which sounds pretty good considering we are useing

dfegad Monitor ones..LOL gotta get some real monitors ..
Old 23rd November 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I've seen the Mac's used in some studio's and serious hi-fi rigs. If they're in good working order they can be some pretty serious amps. Parasound isn't bad either. I've got a Samson Servo on my nearfields. It was a gift from my now ex girlfriend. Actually, the full story was that I needed an amp and I found it used so she gave me the cash and said happy birthday. That was over four years ago and it still works. I leave it on 24-7 and it's never complained unlike her. I digress, I'd probably keep the Parasound on the nearfields and get a pair of mid-fields for the Mac's.
Old 23rd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Macs are great!!.. makesure you get a recap and get checked out by a tech so they will be in A1 shape... Also you may need extra aironditioning for them cos some of them have tendency to get rather hot like KRELL'S ( who needs a kitchen to cook when u got KRELL'S!).lol..lol

Congratulations on ya find and let us know how they sound!
Old 24th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys..Jay just think shes complanein' to someone else now!And you got a power amp outta it..Thats a good thing!
Wiggy,I guess I won't be needin' a microwave for heatin' coffee!
Old 24th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
If the amps look good cosmetically, (chrome not pitted, silkscreened words still legible etc,) those things may be worth some bucks to some audiophiles. I think the old Mac tube amps sound fine, not great, but fine. At one point I worked for a hi-fi dealer and, at various times owned MC30, MC75 and MC275 amps. Many folks feel the tone in Mac amps come from the transformers, not the tubes. I know that sound quality is very subjective, but I did not hear any tube magic from those amps. FWIW, this is coming from a serious fan of tube guitar amps. If it were me, I'd sell 'em and buy some killer active monitors.
Old 24th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hey Zenfreud,Would love to get some killer active monitors Dynoaudio/Adams ect. but since these amps were kinda free,and we already have the Parasound..I could save some cash and go passive??..We are just startin' out and everything gets expensive:eek: LOL.Just like movein in to a apartment with nothing..What are these Macs worth to audiophiles?They are still in original boxes and the general shape cosmeticly is very good not perfect {haven't pluged them in yet}
Old 24th November 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I'd check Ebay and maybe some on-line audiophile places. I don't know if you could get a $1000 for the pair but that would get you a really nice set of passive monitors to go with the Parasound.
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Don, depending on cosmetic and electrical condition, I would guess that MC30's fetch between $250 (fair) each and $750 (near mint) each. Can't say about the MC60's, perhaps you can watch out for some ebay auctions to gauge what people are currently paying. The collectors I dealt with were heavily influenced by cosmetic shape. Amps can be always re-capped, re-tubed and tuned up, but if the chrome is fairly pitted it will really lower the resale.
The most coveted Mac tube amp was generally the MC275 which, in clean shape can fetch upwards of $4000. A lot of the high Mac tube amp prices were driven by the Japanese mania for old American hi-fi gear and with the way their economy has been for the last few years the prices may have come down a bit.
For that kind of dough, you could ditch the passive set-up and be cruising with some Genelecs, Adams, Dynaudios etc.
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I went into the studio today and talked to my partener {these are his deal} and they are circa1959 with large chrome lettering{last cappin' ect 1985}..Hes gonna recap and tube ect.{he equiped to do it}The cosmetics are very good{closer to mint than not} and he thinks he bring them back..So Ill see what happens.I think that he will prob use them at home.He paid $600.00 for all 4 of the amps..But he told me that hes got 2 1995 Tube Manley mono blocks{130W I belive} to bring in now instead of the Macs..Hes already got the Manleys..He keeps comein' up with amps :eek: And hes gonna use the Parasounds 2200 for his mastering rig..Oh well thanks for your input!I'll let you know what happens in my journy for some dam monitors..Active or otherwise..LOL
πŸ“ Reply