The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundtracs consoles
Old 20th January 2018 | Show parent
Deleted 10089a2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Tull ➡️
When i read this i emidiatly played the record and what i heard was something els indead. My impresion is that the mix is really solid but that all elements is hangin on by a thead, it sounded amazaing (in my opinion) but very cleverly put together to make it work. Got to tell you all that i really like the Anti hero vibes i get from the Jade. You can imagine that iv'e been googleling Soundtracs ALLOT after allt these wonderfull replys
Well Leftism is considered my many many DJs and MAgazines to be possibly THE best EDM album of all time - I remember when it got voted as such back in the the day - it was a huge album. The Jade is a bit more hi end than the Topaz though - I saw one go on reverb for 6 grand recently - they come up cheaper too. I know the Topaz was popular with dub prducers - so it must be capable of some nice sonics.
I actually have a soundtracs Maxi Topaz ( a bit different fromt he topaz, no meter bridge etc) with a blue dog power supply. Never really put it through its paces as I now use an Allen and heath Gs3000 but I am sure you could make a fine sounding record on it if you knew what you were doing...
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hello 'Funny Cat'

Yes, Tim Jones is located in the U.K. He has a website dedicated to all SoundTracs consoles. He services them and does mod's, etc. He also makes the BlueDog power supplies

This is his website. You can contact him there.
Studio Systems - The home where the Soundtracs roam

I have of course done a number of updates and mod's on our CM4400 console to bring it up to the modern era. Remember this was SoundTracs first console [1986]. A number of oversites were made. I have all the documentation.

A simple promo reel Youtube link, done for a client a couple of years ago. All recorded on the CM4400.
YouTube

Regards
Ron Obvious

Last edited by Ron Obvious; 22nd January 2018 at 10:40 PM..
Old 20th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Obvious ➡️
Hello 'Funny Cat'

Yes, Tim Jones is located in the U.K. He has a website dedicated to all SoundTracs consoles. He services them and does mod's, etc. He also makes the BlueDog power supplies

I have of course done a number of updates and mod's on our CM4400 console to bring it up to the modern era. Remember this was SoundTracs first console [1986]. A number of oversites were made. I have all the documentation.

A simple promo reel Youtube, done for a client a couple of years ago. All recorded on the CM4400.

Regards
Ron Obvious

Okay yes. This was many years ago but I was actually about to buy a Blue Dog supply from him. Had some email correspondence but after I calculated shipping it would have been prohibitive. Yes he was the one who mentioned Steve to me who in the end took my original PSU and rebuilt it. I think I paid around $400 including shipping since he had an original case with original parts to work with (mine). I may wind up getting a Blue Dog in the future as a spare. I heard they are terrific coupled with Soundtracs consoles.

On another note let me say this for anyone who’s having doubts about Soundtracs upper tier consoles. One of the most famed and recognizable consoles in the entire world is NOT known for having “great mic pres”. I’m talking about the SSL4000 series. Yet no one would deny they are a pleasure to work with and have been involved in thousands of hit records along the way.

The first studio I worked at had a 40 channel Solitaire. The engineer there recorded and I also believe he mixed the early Black Sabbath records so there’s that. I also hung out a bit with Grammy winning Reggae Band Steel Pulse and their producer at their Birmingham studio when I was in England.

They recorded several albums on a Jade using blackface ADATs as the recording medium. They switched to Logic once the ADATs became obsolete but their producer/engineer was using the ADATs for A/D conversion, gasp! I distinctly remember our conversation about it. :0) Go back and listen to the fidelity on some of those records. It’s astounding!
Old 6th March 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️
Old post but I thought I'd chime in with my .02 cents. I have a Soundtracs MRX32. I bought it many years ago, sold it then bought it back recently after missing it. I've had some down time so I decided to do some real comparative tests on the preamps and EQ's this past month.

When I compare the Soundtracs to better outboard pres like Daking or tube pres like UA710 or some of my other tube pres there is no comparison in direct shootouts. The outboard pres have higher fidelity, more bandwidth, deeper lows. However, when I listen to mixes I did on the board vs mixes I did using "select" outboard pres for each and every instrument, the MRX wins. There is a charm to those mixes. It automatically sounds like a record. It's smooth, calming, relaxed and cohesive. I cannot achieve this sound with any other tools. I've tried. I cannot explain what's going on to be honest.

The EQ's are not very flexible on the desk but are very "broad stroke" for lack of a better word. I must say though, they are powerful. The Lows and mids just smack you in the face when you twist the knobs. I cannot replicate the sound in plugin land. Again, I've tried. Neither is better, in and of itself. It almost sounds like saturation when I use the desk EQ. Plugins are very good. I am not denying that. I just want to point out that they are very different and yield a different type of sound.

I guess I should add I had the PSU rebuilt and beefed up on mine. So there's that. Personally, I love the Jade, Inline and Solitaire consoles. Great consoles IMO. As another poster mentioned there is a huge difference between a Jade and a Topaz. One is aimed at small studios, pro-sumers (Topaz) and the other (Jade & IL) are big boy's toys competing with SSL and others.

Read up about the MRX if you want an affordable Soundtracs with good sound and removable modules for easy maintenance. Every owner I've met loves their sound despite what I said earlier about the pres. I guess I would describe them as "warm" sounding. Hope this helps someone.
I agree with Funny Cat. I have a Soundtracs MR24 (same as the MRX but no stereo input modules) and I love the way it glues my ITB tracks together. Plus it's an easy way to mix and match older +4/-10 compressors in the mix.
gm4u
Old 20th April 2018
Here for the gear

Hello! It’s me again. At the end of this month i could be owner of a Soundtracs Solitaire 32. But I’m getting concerned about the missing patch bay. Is there anything else that set the version whit patch bay and the one without apart? Can you fitt another patch bay when you remove the cover plate and is this purchase just a bad idea? Sorry for being so anchtious and all but I could really need some advice here. Ooh, is anyone sitting on a service manual for the console?
Take care all and have a nice weekend.
/ Johan

Last edited by Herr Tull; 20th April 2018 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: I misspelled purchase
Old 21st April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello! It’s me again. At the end of this month i could be owner of a Soundtracs Solitaire 32. But I’m getting concerned about the missing patch bay. Is there anything else that set the version whit patch bay and the one without apart? Can you fitt another patch bay when you remove the cover plate and is this purchase just a bad idea? Sorry for being so anchtious and all but I could really need some advice here. Ooh, is anyone sitting on a service manual for the console?
Take care all and have a nice weekend.
/ Johan

I would suggest reaching out to Tim in the U.K. If you have technical questions. His email was posted above. I can’t be certain about the solitaire but as long as it has direct outs on each channel you don’t neccessarily “need” the patchbey. Be aware though, I believe the Solitaire has all EDAC connectors so you’ll need to have special looms made for this desk if the seller doesn’t include them. Good luck!
Old 22nd April 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
I would suggest reaching out to Tim in the U.K. If you have technical questions. His email was posted above. I can’t be certain about the solitaire but as long as it has direct outs on each channel you don’t neccessarily “need” the patchbey. Be aware though, I believe the Solitaire has all EDAC connectors so you’ll need to have special looms made for this desk if the seller doesn’t include them. Good luck!
The console looks like it was stock fitted whith traditional TRS and XLR on the back so EDACs is not an issue That’s what you meant whit direct out, right? I’ll ask Tim thanks a million Funny Cat.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The console looks like it was stock fitted whith traditional TRS and XLR on the back so EDACs is not an issue That’s what you meant whit direct out, right? I’ll ask Tim thanks a million Funny Cat.

Yes exactly. My recollection is a bit hazy but the Solitaire's with the patchbeys had EDAC's you would solder to the TT-bey. If yours has XLR and TRS outs then you're all set. Should be "plug-N-play". Good luck!

P.S. Easy way to confirm...have the seller take a few pics of the back of the desk and send to you if you can't view it in person! Oh and be sure to ask the seller are there any issues with the onboard computer system! The solitaire has an automation system included (the one I used did at least) with digital comps on each channel that sound pretty cool as a bonus!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes exactly. My recollection is a bit hazy but the Solitaire's with the patchbeys had EDAC's you would solder to the TT-bey. If yours has XLR and TRS outs then you're all set. Should be "plug-N-play". Good luck!

P.S. Easy way to confirm...have the seller take a few pics of the back of the desk and send to you if you can't view it in person! Oh and be sure to ask the seller are there any issues with the onboard computer system! The solitaire has an automation system included (the one I used did at least) with digital comps on each channel that sound pretty cool as a bonus!
Is there a quick way to diagnose the onboard computer? He told me that the backup battery probably needs to be replaced because if the console is unpowered for a couple of days you have to disengage all dynamics on every channel. Could that be a clever health check or just a present?
Thanks again for all your advice. I can’t thankyou enough

Oh, I’ve seen some nice pictures of the console, it looks healthy but you can’t tell before you pop the hood can you
Old 23rd April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ Herr Tull

You def. want to get in contact with Tim in the U.K. He could answer these questions much better than me! Plz post any info you get from him in. This thread if you don’t mind. Pay it forward so to speak. Good luck and enjoy your new Solitaire. Methinks you’re going to really like it. :0)
Old 23rd April 2018

🎧 10 years
Ok.... I apologize in advance for this.

DO NOT BUY IT UNLESS YOU CAN CONFIRM THAT THE BATTERY TERMINALS HAVE NOT CORRODED THE AUTOMATION BOARDS!

Sorry again. From what Tim in the UK has told me about my non patchbay Solitaire 32, which has full XLR TRS terminals on the back, everything on the solitaire runs through the VCA. Once those boards are corroded the board is unfixable. You will never get it back to being what you paid for. There are so few parts, and even less people who know how to fix them.

I love my Solitaire, but the relationship is cruel and hard...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unslaven ➡️

DO NOT BUY IT UNLESS YOU CAN CONFIRM THAT THE BATTERY TERMINALS HAVE NOT CORRODED THE AUTOMATION BOARDS!

Sorry again. From what Tim in the UK has told me about my non patchbay Solitaire 32, which has full XLR TRS terminals on the back, everything on the solitaire runs through the VCA. Once those boards are corroded the board is unfixable. You will never get it back to being what you paid for. There are so few parts, and even less people who know how to fix them.

Good advice here. The computer/automation system always tends to be the weak link in any console. When I used the solitaire, it was early in my career and my technical knowledge wasn’t very deep (still isn’t lol) but when the computer and automation system locks the board had to be shut down and rebooted on ours. Only happened to me once but it’s scary. Definitely see if you can get a tech to look over the board before purchasing.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unslaven ➡️

Thanks a million mate! I’ll look in to it when im there. Is the automation boards located underneath the channel strips or do you have to dig really deep? Is the batteries located on the automation board or near by?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Good advice here. The computer/automation system always tends to be the weak link in any console. When I used the solitaire, it was early in my career and my technical knowledge wasn’t very deep (still isn’t lol) but when the computer and automation system locks the board had to be shut down and rebooted on ours. Only happened to me once but it’s scary. Definitely see if you can get a tech to look over the board before purchasing.
Yes instead! You guys are awesome! I’ll see if i can find someone or find out enough myself
Here for the gear

Hello. I’m curious about the CPU and automation boards on the Solitaire, do you know anyone who has any software that’s on those roms, eproms and DSPs or first of all. How are they put together in the first place? I’m super-curious!

It will be one hell of a challenge but if you can get the rom files than you can burn new DSPs and everything for me that would be very comforting knowing that you could do a brain transfer so to speak

Last edited by Herr Tull; 23rd April 2018 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Half cooked sentence
Old 28th April 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I’m finally a part of the Soundtracs family <3

After around two hours I decided to by the Soundtracs Solitaire I’ve had my eyes on for about a week. The CPU/automation board looks brand new and a well known technician (localy) have rebuilt the PSU not long ago, I’m super happy and dear god it sounds really good! Thanks for all the help guys! We nailed it
Old 28th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
After around two hours I decided to by the Soundtracs Solitaire I’ve had my eyes on for about a week. The CPU/automation board looks brand new and a well known technician (localy) have rebuilt the PSU not long ago, I’m super happy and dear god it sounds really good! Thanks for all the help guys! We nailed it

Welcome to the club Her Tull! Do you have it in your possession now? Care take a pic? I’ll show you mine if you show me yours. :0)
Old 30th April 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Yes! It’s my baby now <3

Quote:
Welcome to the club Her Tull! Do you have it in your possession now? Care take a pic? I’ll show you mine if you show me yours. :0)
I cleaned ALL knobs and cleaned it externally to make room for my blood and sweat i got all documentations ot the board to! Even the poster and all the tech bulletin.
Pretty sweet eeh
Attached Thumbnails
Soundtracs consoles-2a2d3da7-665e-4b07-a7aa-52bca695a031.jpg   Soundtracs consoles-8096045c-b2c0-48e8-98e2-722aeb05997c.jpg  
Old 30th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I cleaned ALL knobs and cleaned it externally to make room for my blood and sweat i got all documentations ot the board to! Even the poster and all the tech bulletin.
Pretty sweet eeh

Wow! That thing is a beauty! AND you got all the documentation!? Woohoo! That's half the battle right there, heh!. I'm so happy for you man! That desk looks great. You're gonna do some fantastic mixes on it. There is no equivalent feeling to driving an LFAC desk. On mix-down you'll have about 80 channels since you can use the inline small faders as inputs!!!!!!!!!

On another note, how many guys did it take to get to your spot? Was it hard? Also, do you have all the looms you need to at least get started running signal through the desk and testing things out?

Here is mine MRX32 below as promised.

Oops! Looks like GS is having some ISP issues and I can't attach photos but here is a link to my build thread with some pics (see posts #140 and #141 ).

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!

Old 12th May 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Wow! That thing is a beauty! AND you got all the documentation!? Woohoo! That's half the battle right there, heh!. I'm so happy for you man! That desk looks great. You're gonna do some fantastic mixes on it. There is no equivalent feeling to driving an LFAC desk. On mix-down you'll have about 80 channels since you can use the inline small faders as inputs!!!!!!!!!

On another note, how many guys did it take to get to your spot? Was it hard? Also, do you have all the looms you need to at least get started running signal through the desk and testing things out?

Here is mine MRX32 below as promised.

Oops! Looks like GS is having some ISP issues and I can't attach photos but here is a link to my build thread with some pics (see posts #140 and #141 ).

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!

Sorry for not being here for a while. Your MRX looks dynamite and what a marvelous place you got there do you have a soundclod or something else you have som music? I would love to hear your work mate.

We where four men and a propper lorry when we moved the Solitaire. I’m not looking forward to do that again soon, I would love to have the console here and thow not att my fathers place (370km apart) so it’s a long distance relationship at the moment.

The guy that sold the Solitaire got curious so he let me go through the entire console before I bought it, he wanted to know more about servicing analog gear so it was a win win situation there is one cooked channel an 8 missing but the automation and dynamics worked flawlessly. About the compressors, GOD they are tight!
Take care and hope to hear from you soon
Old 12th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry for not being here for a while. Your MRX looks dynamite and what a marvelous place you got there do you have a soundclod or something else you have som music? I would love to hear your work mate.

We where four men and a propper lorry when we moved the Solitaire. I’m not looking forward to do that again soon, I would love to have the console here and thow not att my fathers place (370km apart) so it’s a long distance relationship at the moment.

The guy that sold the Solitaire got curious so he let me go through the entire console before I bought it, he wanted to know more about servicing analog gear so it was a win win situation there is one cooked channel an 8 missing but the automation and dynamics worked flawlessly. About the compressors, GOD they are tight!
Take care and hope to hear from you soon

Hi Herr Tull...did I understand your post saying you are missing 8 channels? I suppose you have 32 working channels then? That’s also cool that the seller went thru the console with you. That’s a must before buying any console. Yeah those compressors are decent, fairly clean if I remember correctly. How’s the noise floor on your Solitaire?

Regarding your other question, there should be a link at the bottom of my post #33 to a soundcloud page. Has some mixes I’ve done over the past year to keep busy while I was building my studio (actually I’ve taken on very few serious projects the past couple years since we bought a house and then remodeled, hence the new studio).

Anyways, I mix mostly ITB (can anyone say RECALL!!!) and do go hybrid quite a bit...reamping and printing stems etc. I only use my MRX for extra pres during tracking by the way. I love the EQ’s on the desk and I will even run stems thru the desk at times when I’m mixing.

Good luck with the new console. Again, it looks fabulous!
Old 24th November 2018 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Soundtracks Mute Problems

Hi I don't know if you are up to date with your Sol yet but you should know the fact those 8 channels not working is a clue to the massive problem that is waiting to stop you in your tracks, no pun intended. Apart from Tim, I am one of a tiny select group of electronics engineers that have any clue about Soundtracs mixers. The Sols have a dynamics system and a fader and mute automation system that were fitted with Mallory style memory backup batteries; the dynamics system has one battery per desk and should be checked and removed at once any sign of green crystals on the terminals is a warning of death of the board and total failure of the P.C.B. and dynamics system. What’s worst is that the fader and mute automation system has a C.P.U. board with another Mallory style battery for each of 16 faders which also includes the Aux sum bus output mutes, each of these batteries can fail and leak fluid that eats p.c.b. traces and destroys the mute and fader memory functions. Tim and I have a high level of the working analogue functions of most of these mixers, Tim more so than I, but sadly we have no digital circuit diagrams or p.c.b. layouts which make sorting the problem of repair the mute functions of the sols and also Jades almost impossible. Just in case there is a chance you should arrange to have a competent p.c.b. repair engineer remove the multiple backup batteries and if you wish to, replace them wired at a distance inside a plastic leak proof food container with the install date clearly marked to allow the engineer who follows a clue of when they should be replaced?
These boards are great used by ABBA’s producer and Stevie V to record his number one hit “Dirty Money”. They have great mic pre amps, and when properly using the gain chain levels an ultra low noise floor, a great parametric e.q. system and excellent but sadly under used V.C.A.’s,(no V.C.A groups) and guess what no latency.
But sadly due to a stupidly thoughtless design error, placing a volatile backup battery on the densely packed digital boards, instead of installing these, time bombs, at a remote location where if they leaked this would do no damage, except to lose the recorded data, and not destroy the whole digital system! Tim and I only ever have one fault enquiry, I usually goes “what does it mean if the mutes on channels 9 to 16 don’t switch?” Sadly a life time of experience even in retirement cannot be free and of course there is the whole perceived value problem.
Hope this has been of some help and not too disheartening? Please get back to me, anyone if I can be of help. The real cure to this mute problem would be if someone could find the original c.p.u. circuit and p.c.b. layout prints, if the numbers of enquiries Tim and I get are willing to pay we might get some complete new c.p.u. boards made to fix things but without the artworks it would be a major project and quite expensive!
I have an alternate fix I am working on but it will, as it requires the same mods to all I/O Channels be quite labour intensive.
Best regards,
Mike
Old 7th February 2019 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Obvious ➡️
Hello 'Funny Cat'

A simple promo reel Youtube link, done for a client a couple of years ago. All recorded on the CM4400.
YouTube

Regards
Ron Obvious

Hey Ron, I have a CM4400 that I have been recapping and fixing up. I am wondering what additional upgrades you made to your console? Can you share the docs?

Thanks!
Old 27th September 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hello thanks for your info. I’m happy to say that the 8 missing channels have been removed some time ago by some other owner. Allt the automations and dynamics works fine last time I checked . I have to read this a couple of times befor everything sinks in but. Is the other backup batteries located on the faider PCBs? I’ve examend every single PCB stacked under the center section of the console and so far I’ve onley seen one backup battery. The console is still at my fathers house due to lack of space but i’ll be visiting the console and my father at the end of this year.
Tanks again and hope to hear from you again soon.
I think you Soundtracs-jedis as supercool and very kind shareng your knowledge about these consoles. Thanks again!
/ Johan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Rockstar ➡️
Hi I don't know if you are up to date with your Sol yet but you should know the fact those 8 channels not working is a clue to the massive problem that is waiting to stop you in your tracks, no pun intended. Apart from Tim, I am one of a tiny select group of electronics engineers that have any clue about Soundtracs mixers. The Sols have a dynamics system and a fader and mute automation system that were fitted with Mallory style memory backup batteries; the dynamics system has one battery per desk and should be checked and removed at once any sign of green crystals on the terminals is a warning of death of the board and total failure of the P.C.B. and dynamics system. What’s worst is that the fader and mute automation system has a C.P.U. board with another Mallory style battery for each of 16 faders which also includes the Aux sum bus output mutes, each of these batteries can fail and leak fluid that eats p.c.b. traces and destroys the mute and fader memory functions. Tim and I have a high level of the working analogue functions of most of these mixers, Tim more so than I, but sadly we have no digital circuit diagrams or p.c.b. layouts which make sorting the problem of repair the mute functions of the sols and also Jades almost impossible. Just in case there is a chance you should arrange to have a competent p.c.b. repair engineer remove the multiple backup batteries and if you wish to, replace them wired at a distance inside a plastic leak proof food container with the install date clearly marked to allow the engineer who follows a clue of when they should be replaced?
These boards are great used by ABBA’s producer and Stevie V to record his number one hit “Dirty Money”. They have great mic pre amps, and when properly using the gain chain levels an ultra low noise floor, a great parametric e.q. system and excellent but sadly under used V.C.A.’s,(no V.C.A groups) and guess what no latency.
But sadly due to a stupidly thoughtless design error, placing a volatile backup battery on the densely packed digital boards, instead of installing these, time bombs, at a remote location where if they leaked this would do no damage, except to lose the recorded data, and not destroy the whole digital system! Tim and I only ever have one fault enquiry, I usually goes “what does it mean if the mutes on channels 9 to 16 don’t switch?” Sadly a life time of experience even in retirement cannot be free and of course there is the whole perceived value problem.
Hope this has been of some help and not too disheartening? Please get back to me, anyone if I can be of help. The real cure to this mute problem would be if someone could find the original c.p.u. circuit and p.c.b. layout prints, if the numbers of enquiries Tim and I get are willing to pay we might get some complete new c.p.u. boards made to fix things but without the artworks it would be a major project and quite expensive!
I have an alternate fix I am working on but it will, as it requires the same mods to all I/O Channels be quite labour intensive.
Best regards,
Mike
Old 27th September 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

It’s always nice to get some analog wormth in a mix. I would never do automation on a console these days, just like you said. Burning in eqs, summing and dynamics and stuff. I haven’t got room for my console yet but i hope i will soon.
Quote:
Hi Herr Tull...did I understand your post saying you are missing 8 channels? I suppose you have 32 working channels then? That’s also cool that the seller went thru the console with you. That’s a must before buying any console. Yeah those compressors are decent, fairly clean if I remember correctly. How’s the noise floor on your Solitaire?

Regarding your other question, there should be a link at the bottom of my post #33 to a soundcloud page. Has some mixes I’ve done over the past year to keep busy while I was building my studio (actually I’ve taken on very few serious projects the past couple years since we bought a house and then remodeled, hence the new studio).

Anyways, I mix mostly ITB (can anyone say RECALL!!!) and do go hybrid quite a bit...reamping and printing stems etc. I only use my MRX for extra pres during tracking by the way. I love the EQ’s on the desk and I will even run stems thru the desk at times when I’m mixing.

Good luck with the new console. Again, it looks fabulous!
Old 31st October 2019
Here for the gear

I have a jade 48 channel and it’s great! Pres are clean and transparent and the highs on the EQs are nice and gritty. Compressor it thick... people who say otherwise either are comparing them to the major 3 (API, Neve and SSL) or they’ve never used one a day in their life.
Old 5th November 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Made on a Jade :)

I’ve heard some songs that have been produced with a Jade and man they sound sweet! Do you have a replacement PSU or do you run on a stock one? About those compressors, if the Solitaire and Jade share the same DSP circuits than i know exactly what you mean. Honestly Soundtracs is alot of bang for the buck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLove Studio ➡️
I have a jade 48 channel and it’s great! Pres are clean and transparent and the highs on the EQs are nice and gritty. Compressor it thick... people who say otherwise either are comparing them to the major 3 (API, Neve and SSL) or they’ve never used one a day in their life.
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear

Hi to you all. I have a soundtracs solitaire 32 and i'm very curious that if you have this or jade or Inline what is the noisefloor of your consoles? I have put all faders to 0db position including aux returns. Mine variates .There are days in wich the noisefloor is around -72 db and days in wich the noisefloor is -69 or -68 db. What is there to be done to reach -75 or maybe better noisefloor?
Old 7th August 2020
Replacing the TL072 and TL074 opamps with modern low noise chips will lower hiss quite a bit. There are even fet input opamps with noise at less than 3 nv/hz /sq. Resistors around the fader recovery opamps can be scaled down to lower hiss from resistors further. The newer opamps are precision devices, electrolytic coupling caps can in many cases be removed.
Old 13th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Jim I totally agree with you that there are much better OP amps than the bog standard old school -072's and -074's. However there are also way better transistors than the old BC184/BC214 & 2N3055's, in another somewhat popular brand of consoles. But it's the tone of the era! We could argue that this is when the best records were made, otherwise why are we always trying too match it.

Anyway back to the SoundTracs CM4400 (1986) at Summit Recording. I tend to use it, as the place I hang my hat at these days. I have done LOT's of operational - updates to the console, along with the re-capping, in a number of places. I'm not hearing "noise" or lack of "transient" issues. Here is a recording of "The Beatles" with the CM4400. OK> these guys are much younger and come from Argentina. They did an old back catalogue rocker that I love. As mentioned by Geoff Emerick - 'possibly' the last time all the Beatles had fun together in the studio, with everyone, contributing.

If you are interested in any of the operational updates, these can be sent. email [email protected]

📝 Reply