The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tascam Model 5 Board
Old 11th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy ➡️
There's an M512 on Craigslist right now for $50. I still have my M50. I've tried for many years to give it away, no takers. I'm in LA if anyone wants to pick it up, free. I also have the service manual. Not sure what the dif is between these boards and an M5 electronically.
Well, thanks to this thread, I found a taker for my M50. To be honest, the only thing these things are really good for is to learn on (I guess the EQ is useable). I was thinking about trying to mod mine just to practice my pathetic soldering skills, but I'm glad it's going to someone who actually wants to use it and must now learn about gain staging for low noise and how to clean pots and switches. I remember I paid $2000 for it back in '86 along with an 80-8 for $2500. I still have the tape deck and you can pry that from my cold stiff fingers when I die.
Old 16th May 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

O-amps swap-out & smeary sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
Clean up those circuits and replace the 4558 opamps with LME's and they sound great. Same with the Model 15.
Unsure of protocol in referencing YTube sources so will keep it general; an excellent 15min-odd M-5a walk-thru & “tear-down” showed o-amps to be 4559s. Mention made they were top-notch in the day but that sound would certainly benefit with modern day swap-out. Was interesting to this newb that I could clearly see that component number imprinted. Sooo, I bet my 5B has 4559s too, which were mentioned as upgraded from the previous model’s 4558s. Will enquire into “LMEs” when overhauling the board (again thx Jim).
Have also noticed all 8 channel Aux Send/Rcv loops are missing those RCA-RCA jumpers (They’re on the 4 Sub-mstrs & Expansion jacks though). They’re those factory RCA patches that look real flimsy. Question; can I instead use the ones that look like giant staples that I’ve got on my 244 Portastudio?
Also, are those Solo buttons suppose to latch when pressed or has one gotta engage something else first? Glaringly obvious to more experienced ... sorry.
So I bet until I fix the Jumper issue I ain’t gonna get any sound from my board.
Cheers 4 now ...
Old 16th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lownotes ➡️
My guess is it most likely does not have phantom power. Something to think about.
A gentleman I worked with modded his Model 5 with a pair of 9V batteries providing 18V phantom for the mics of the time, usually AKG 451s. Made some nice records with it - notably Kate Wolf's Back Roads.
Old 16th May 2018
About all you need to do is add feedback phase compensation caps to the opamp feedback loops lacking them and add some local .1 uf psu bypass caps. DC offset is so low most of the el coupling caps can then be removed.
Old 29th May 2018 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➡️
A gentleman I worked with modded his Model 5 with a pair of 9V batteries providing 18V phantom for the mics of the time, usually AKG 451s. Made some nice records with it - notably Kate Wolf's Back Roads.

Wow, what other mics were used on that album? That album sounds ridiculous. Very clear, fat sounds. Other mics on her voice that you can think of than the 451? Thanks a lot for this bit of knowledge.

Last edited by SongJohn; 29th May 2018 at 05:21 AM..
Old 2nd May 2019 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etnier ➡️
My first studio, 1978, Model 5 with expander... and a Marshall Time Modulator.

I think the OP may be confusing RCA jacks for 1/8"
Now THAT is a MAN'S studio......just looking at that photo makes me want to do a bump off the board, pull a firearm and forcibly confine some ****ty band to the storage room........Man, recording used to be FUN!!
Old 31st July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaddyO ➡️
I'm surprised to hear that they are 1/8" inputs. The Model 5 was the precursor to the Model 35 (which I started out on) and it had XLR, 1/4" and RCA jacks - not one 1/8" to be seen anywhere.

The 5 is an ok mixer, as long as you don't fall into the trap of comparing it to real vintage high end gear. If it's in good shape (pots cleaned, connections burnished) it's can be a nice sounding mix board. Ok, so you're not gonna get a Neve, AMI, or Quad 8 flavor from it, but the channel strips are solidly built, individually framed, and have a decent xfmr mic preamp. When most people complain, it's about the EQ, which is a 2 band switch selectable range design. Heck, even that wasn't as bad as some would have you believe. At the time these were marketed, they were fairly state of the art & competitively priced for the budding home studio musician crowd. In fact, they were top of the line given the other options in that price range.

I have some very nice mixes from my Tascam Model 35 days. Tracks that still sound good run through much higher end, modern gear.

You aren't going to get squat on eBay for this gear. I'd say you are better off using it in a workhorse capacity, where some abuse is likely. It is built tough enough to handle that type of environment. Otherwise, I'd try to sell it local first, and not have to deal with shipping (it's real heavy).
Perhaps he mistook the RCA phono style connectors for ⅛? Apart from mic ins, Tascam series 5 used RCA.

*DUH ME! Thread is from 2007

Last edited by Rowboat; 31st July 2022 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Stupid me!
Old 31st July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes it is.
📝 Reply