Best Recording School - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Recording School
Old 20th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Best Recording School

Hey everyone,

Just looking for a bit of info. Presently im a Music Industry Major at Greenville College in IL. The recording side of things here is a bit lacking and im looking for what you all consider the best place to study recording. This includes 2 year programs etc..What places are most credible?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 20th November 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
If your serious about trying to get a job and attempt to make a living I'd suggest dropping out of school after finding a good internship. Worked for me and thousands of others before me.
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The current Mix magazine has a recording schools special section. They list all the programs in the US. I don't know if that can help... The only guy I met who was coming out of recording school and had a clue studied at Berkeley. BTW he was a stellar musician also... Good luck!
Old 20th November 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I am not really familiar with the program at Berklee or any where else and cannot recommend any specific school, BUT: if I were starting out today and looking for a school I would probably go for a heavy duty "Music school" that had a recording program as opposed to an "Audio school" that just taught engineering.

A music school has a constant stream of "work" for the engineering students. You will be kept busy with hands-on projects. If it is a high end music school some of those projects may be quite good indeed. An audio school may have to recruit "guinea pigs" for recording sessions.

Another thing to consider is that the relationships you establish in college may last into your professonal career:
Your fellow students at a music school might become your future clients. Your fellow students at an Audio School might become your future competition!
Old 21st November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by joeq

Another thing to consider is that the relationships you establish in college may last into your professonal career:
Your fellow students at a music school might become your future clients. Your fellow students at an Audio School might become your future competition!
Great advice. I might add that a minor in buisness, ect would be very beneficial in this entrepenurial industry that we inhabit.
Old 21st November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Music Industry major? is it correct to assume that that's a buisiness degree? how many/what kind of courses relating to music (i.e. theory, ensembles, musicianship) have you taken for that major? have you had an internship at any facility?

of course, having asked all those questions, my main suggestion, regardless of the answers, would be to stop spending money to learn and start making money (albiet usually very little at 1st) learning on the job...inevitably the best education you can get. the only way i can see on the job training being a negative is if you hook up with a small mom and pop place run by a less than stellar engineer/buisinessperson. but i think your chances are far greater that, if you were to enroll at another university or program, you'd be instructed by folks who have more book knowledge than real world experience, and would end up one of those cliche fresh out of college assistants who are more hindrance than help in a session, far too often with more attitude than ability.

get in at the best place with the best engineers...and prepare to live cheap!
Old 21st November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The Music Industry Major here is basicly a combination of Music Theory/ Recording / Ethics classes. Up to this point, all ofm y classes have been music theory, ear training, Piano etc. I got a peek at the recording classes though and they just werent for me.

Jon
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd suggest one of the cheaper school like the consevatory in AZ. These schools teach you the basics, but look at the year after graduation as another year or education. That's where you really learn your stuff.
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And move someplace where they got good studios like Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, etc... Most sailors don't live in Kansas. Goto where the work is. My 2...
Old 22nd November 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
but look at the year after graduation as another year or education. That's where you really learn your stuff.
Oh yeah. The first six months out of school and in the real world are interesting. If you can stick it out that long and make it a year you probably have half a chance of making a living at it. Eating something other then mac & cheese every night is a different story.
Old 22nd November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
if you want to stay in IL for whatever reason, the program at DePaul is good and has served me very well. not cheap, and not the hugest studio selection here in Chicago, but it is a recording program within a music program with a liberal arts program on the side. if you want a university degree, and not just the audio skills, its worth checking out. if you've got some of the basic classes done, you can do the audio-only part in two years while working at the same time.

-a-
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…