The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundelux Mics
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the number. But maybe I will call my dealer and let him take care of that. Service from the vendor has never been a problem, just have not bothered to call yet.

Value added service and all that you know....that's what dealers do right?

Anyway, my problem exists in any position. The mic just goes to that defined by gravity unless I somehow have something physical (boom arm, etc.) to act as a "stopper".
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'd agree that the "angling" screw is a little flaky and slippery. You have to really crank it in some positions-- and seeing how it is plastic I am already wondering if it is a matter of time before it breaks.

But the sound is glorious.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G
Thanks for the input. It looks like I'm going with the E47. I love the 251 too but it seems to be a little brighter than what I'm looking for. Both mics are gorgeous and full in the low and mids. The E47's top seems more natural and very smooth to me. I also like the dial-in pattern function from omni to hyper to figure 8. Now I just have to get a beefier mic stand and find a way to make the shock mount lock down a little tighter. Lock washer maybe?
Hey you should check out the Lawson mIcs, real good price and they sound real nice too. You can try em out for 10 days, i have the l47 and their 251 very nice!
Daniel
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
And be aware that the lawson's and Soundelux 47's and 251's are NOT interchangeable. They sound nothing alike. Especially the 47's.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
Hey you should check out the Lawson mIcs, real good price and they sound real nice too. You can try em out for 10 days, i have the l47 and their 251 very nice!
Daniel
Yea but . . . they are GOLD!!!
They look like something that should be around Mr. T's neck!

I would have a rough time putting that in front of a singer that was doing a nice, low key, intimate song where vibe is important. Maybe it would work on a rap tune . . . but I don't do rap.

*smile*
Old 10th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Knox

I would have a rough time putting that in front of a singer that was doing a nice, low key, intimate song where vibe is important.

*smile*
You hide it behind the pop filter - then it's fine...
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
You hide it behind the pop filter - then it's fine...
is house paint out of the question?
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I would have a rough time putting that in front of a singer that was doing a nice, low key, intimate song where vibe is important. Maybe it would work on a rap tune . . . but I don't do rap.
Here's a gold mic to match your gold teef... Playa.
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Knox

*smile*
I've only used it on rap a couple of times but the last hundred or so singers I used them on loved the sound and thought they were beautiful
Silly me, I just love they way they sound
Daniel
Old 7th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
Definitely try the E47. I got the ELUX 251 and the E47 and the E47 has a smoother, more pronounced midrange but a similar high end as the 251. Both have a fat, round bottom end, obviously very much based on proximity. The singer I'm working with right now sometimes is as far as 3 feet away from the E47 when he gets louder and it still sounds great. Obviously the bottom is not as fat as if he is singing closer to the mic. Nothing but great things to say about those two Soundelux mics. Can't wait for the iFET47.
Hi Michael.

I have heard SoundDeluxe updated these Mics (E47), and they are superior. Do you know anything about this?
Matt T
Old 4th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
E47 shock mount tightening screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious G
It looks like I'm going with the E47... Now I just have to... find a way to make the shock mount lock down a little tighter. Lock washer maybe?
I also can attest to this problem... Gra v i t y can really be a pain in the arse!

It has been quite awhile since this issue was initially posted. What have others found to be a good solution?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Time warp?

Intersesting thread nonetheless.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The L251 I once owned (sold here) had a nice green body with gold trim.
Lawson is a very nice mic ... and a company worthy of our support btw.

Are they back to being all gold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox

*smile*
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsl666
i have a elux 251 and i completley love it i cant praise their mics enuff
i find it more usful than the original....so hi praise indeed
Yea...it's their damn shock mount that suck!!!

Let me re-phrase on their U99 and 195 ...I've had problems set the 195 for mic'ing an acoustic guitar..we took a break.... and upon returning...mic was on the floor... big ass dent in the grill!!!!

I'm afraid to hang the u99 upside down on a boom .
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have two u99s that I use just about every day. In fact, they really haven't been powered down for years. Never had a problem with the shockmounts. They sound very different with good tubes (excessive brightness, gone). Unfortunately really good tubes are becoming almost impossible to find, at any price. I think these mics sound good (at the very least) on almost any source.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i also shake my head at the soundelux shockmounts. beautifully built mics, but the shockmounts are barely useable. i built a special counterweight for my e47 stand as well- it's a heavy mic!
as an aside, i do love the sound of the mics- having a 195 and e47- use them just about every session. i recently got an exceptional u67 and was stupified at the sound. a great compliment to the e47 and makes all of my other mics sound bad.....
whatever that "mojo" is that everyone talks about, the 67 has it. what a pleasure to use. no i have to work harder to replenish my bank account.
david lawrence
πŸ“ Reply