The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording info on Beck's Sea Change Album?
Old 26th September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Such an awesome thread! I bought this album specifically to reference when I heard it was produced by Nigel on the Dalcon at Oceanway, and then discovered that I love the music as well. Thanks to Justin for all the great info!
Old 3rd May 2017 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
I think I have re-fallen in love with Sea Change more than any other album. Ill put it away for a few months, then get it back out and I'm instantly flooded with all sorts of emotions / tingly feelings. The album is so good on so many levels; compositions, arrangements, performances, sounds, production, mix, etc.. Sorry to bring up this old post again, but I'm swimming in Sea Change again and can't get my mind off of it. Justin thank you so much for your talents, the inspiration, and for sharing details about the project with us!
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is one of the all-time great GS threads. Glad to see it popping up again.

I was hanging at Blackbird last week and got to hear "Paper Tiger" in 5.1 in the Massenburg room with the lights down low.

WOW.
Old 21st February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfreeman ➑️

I was hanging at Blackbird last week and got to hear "Paper Tiger" in 5.1 in the Massenburg room with the lights down low.

WOW.
I heard a 5.1 version of Thriller in that same room and I second your "WOW" comment!
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've been playing Morning Phase constantly the past month or two...

It's a different album, but very much in the vein of Sea Change. I love it.
Old 21st February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental ➑️
I heard a 5.1 version of Thriller in that same room and I second your "WOW" comment!
Oh yeah! Thriller actually scared me a little in 5.1.

Vincent Price....the stuff of audio dreams and waking nightmares!
Old 22nd February 2018 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfreeman ➑️

WOW.

That kick drum!! One of my favorite sounding records of all time.
Old 22nd February 2018

🎧 15 years
A few posters have mentioned the compression use on this record. I don't think there was any compression that wasn't intentional. I don't think the record suffered from modern mastering and over compressed.
I am quite confident any heavy compression was a deliberate act and enjoyed by the makers of this stellar album. Compression is a wonderful tool to use as an effect.....and I am sure Nigel is very aware of what is compressed and why. Not all gear needs to be used in a technically "perfect" manner. Gear can be used in creative ways to create vibe and sounds that any of us may desire.
One of my top 10 records ever.
JJ Crews
Boogie Tracks — Boogie Tracks Recording Studio
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
My favorite album of all time. It puts me in an emotional space that I don't have a name for. It's a melancholy masterpiece.
Old 6th March 2018 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaygunRS ➑️
My favorite album of all time. It puts me in an emotional space that I don't have a name for. It's a melancholy masterpiece.
I saw this thread revived and came to say the same thing. Still hear something new every time I listen to it. The subtle background sounds and fx used to create a monstrous stereo image still inspire me daily in the studio.
Old 6th March 2018

🎧 5 years
IMHO Mutations is Beck's high water mark.
Old 6th March 2018

🎧 5 years
The DSD versions of Sea Change and Mutations sound incredible. The bass is so deep and relaxed, and the percussion and guitars sound like they are right next to your ear. If you ever get to a chance hear the true DSD files, don't pass it up.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC ➑️
The DSD versions of Sea Change and Mutations sound incredible. The bass is so deep and relaxed, and the percussion and guitars sound like they are right next to your ear. If you ever get to a chance hear the true DSD files, don't pass it up.
hmm, I have it on sacd - is that the same? I also love this album...
I wonder when the 5.1 mixes were done...
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenVoltage ➑️
IMHO Mutations is Beck's high water mark.
I agree with this in terms of creative output, but the production and performances on Sea Change are a real high water mark, and the main attraction to me. The simple, sad songs almost act as the frame for the brilliant work to fill them in.

Incredible string arrangements by Beck's dad!
Old 7th March 2018 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes ➑️
hmm, I have it on sacd - is that the same? I also love this album...
I wonder when the 5.1 mixes were done...
Yes. Sea Change is the same (minus the 5.1 on DSD download), but Mutations was never released on SACD.
Old 11th March 2018
Lives for gear

Whenever this thread pops up I find myself not only listening once again to this stunning album, but re-reading this thread. Great to see the shared love and appreciation for such an amazing work. One of my favorite acoustic albums on par with Neil Young's Harvest, Cat Steven's Tea For The Tillerman, Bruce Cockburn's Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws and a few others.

Sea Change is one of those rare albums that capture a moment in time and have such a unique sonic fingerprint that you can "drop the needle" anywhere and you know in microseconds where you are, but of course that rarely happens but you always want to experience this album front to back.

..ant
Old 12th March 2018 | Show parent
Deleted c205829
Golden Feelings is still my favorite acoustic album of Beck's.
Old 12th March 2018 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➑️
I've been playing Morning Phase constantly the past month or two...

It's a different album, but very much in the vein of Sea Change. I love it.

Morning Phase is one of my favorite album by Beck. The depth and 3D is fantastic!!
If I'm not wrong, it was recorded in the same studio as Sea Change.
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
To me Sea Change is still better than Morning Phase. Basically a perfect album. My question for anyone who may know: What is the sustainy keyboard sound used on 60% of Sea Change. The sound typically doubles a guitar or bell line. Does anyone know?

YouTube

The keyboard sound behind the bell set.
Old 26th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinc2005 ➑️
To me Sea Change is still better than Morning Phase. Basically a perfect album. My question for anyone who may know: What is the sustainy keyboard sound used on 60% of Sea Change. The sound typically doubles a guitar or bell line. Does anyone know?

YouTube

I believe that Roger Joseph Manning Jr. was the go to keyboard expert for Sea Change. I've always wondered about the specifics, too.
Old 26th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I believe that Roger Joseph Manning Jr. was the go to keyboard expert for Sea Change. I've always wondered about the specifics, too.
Discogs.com quotes a Wurlitzer as being used on Track 1.
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I always thought it was a hohner d6 with LOTS of reverb (super long tail).
I did some experimentation in the past and think I got pretty much that sound from that combination.
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have a Wurlitzer 200 and a Rhodes - and I'd say IMO from the tone and the length of the decay that it's a Rhodes
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
John Lennon said of Paul "He always came up with the perfect bass line." Always felt that way about Beck's songs. Good groove, good bass... Beck can do whatever he wants on top, it's always catchy. Engineering has always been superb.

Sigh. Gonna have to get an Ampeg now. The neighbors aren't going to appreciate this.
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Beck is somehow underrated. I think he's one of the best to ever do it, in terms of things that I respond to.
Old 27th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Beck is somehow underrated. I think he's one of the best to ever do it, in terms of things that I respond to.
Haha. That almost sounds inappropriate.

Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinc2005 ➑️

YouTube

Howdy. That sound behind the glock is a combination of wurly with fx (panned right) and a sound made on some soft synth (panned left) and played via (I remember this clearly) one of those small Yamaha MIDI controllers that had the pitch and mod wheels on the top left edge...via an eMagic MIDI interface into a laptop. There was some basic 1 vco synth that was bundled with some early ProTools plugs at the time and we can't remember exactly what it is. Anyway. Oh yeah - and per someone else's comment, yes there's tons of heavily effected Hohner D6 all over Sea Change...not to mention on basically every other Beck record Roger's been on since Mutations all the way up to present day. But the clav isn't what you're hearing on this particular song.

Justin
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I think I'm referring to a different sound then. On the "I've seen the end of the day come too soon" song, and many others, there is a harpsichord like instrument with long decay. That's the sound I have been able to replicate pretty well with a hohner d6 and a long reverb. But yes, there is def. also Rhodes or a Wurlitzer on many of the songs.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Oh didn't see Justin replied and already cleared it out. this record has been on the top 3 records that seriously defined my youth and who I am today. Thanks for making great art. Seriously! I can't really describe how much this record is a part of me.
Old 27th February 2019
Here for the gear

Sea Change is easily top five. Cover art is excellent too! The MoFi record has a tune called Ship in a Bottle that gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.
πŸ“ Reply