The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eventide H3000 problem
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Eventide H3000 problem

Hi to everyone, this is my first post...so be gentle with me for my terrible english .

Today my Eventide didn't want to work... maybe it's sunday...maybe...
When powering on it displays the welcome messages "Eventide H3000 d-se ultra harmonizer"... the relay makes a "stick"...and it doesn't start the operating system.
Now I'm frightened....what's happening to my Eventide?
Anyone has a similar experience with this device?

Thank, Nick.
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You most likely need to replace the battery backed RAM. The chip is a large black monolith from Dallas Semiconductor, DS1225Y. You will find that an updated version (DS1225AB or DS1225AD) from Maxim Semiconductor is available to replace the obsolete original. https://shop.maxim-ic.com/storefront...ndAvailability The chip is socketed and easy to replace.
Reset the OS before replacing to see if that does the trick; if not, then replace and reset.

Reset procedure:

1) Hold FUNCTION while turning on power.
2) Release FUNCTION key.
3) H3000 displays "Remove all presets?", press NO (third key from the left).
4) H3000 displays "Reset the operating system?", press YES (second key from left).
5) H3000 loads program 100 "Diatonic Shift" and displays parameters.

Note: Press keys at each step even if display stays blank. If step 5 responds then you have completed the procedure.

I hope that does it for you.
Old 22nd October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I casually find the way to reset the h3000 os yesterday...but I reached only step4, then the displays shows the "eventide h3000 etc etc" message...nothing more.

So I think I should change de ram, I've found it in a online dealer here in Italy... it cost only 20€.

I hope this is the problem... I was frightened of a worse damage.
Thanks.
N.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
VERY common. I changed the fuse, but it kept blowing. Sent it back to Eventide... cost around $300-$400, works great now.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Homer Simpson would say...D'OH!!!
I hope not to spend so much...
Is it possible to change the battery backed ram myself? A friend of mine is a good technician...he repairs digital and analog equipment and build some himself... do I need to send it to Eventide?
Thanks for the infos

N.
Old 26th October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
It was not the battery backed ram.
I've change it but the Eventide still does'nt work.
Bad thing... very bad thing.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Contact Eventide. They're usually good about stuff like this. I take it you haven't done any recent upgrades to your unit?

What part of Italy are you in? There was a guy near Brescia/Milan who works on this stuff. I'll see if I can find the contact info.

Last edited by loudmusic25; 26th October 2007 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: add information
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
No recent updates, I've bought it used few monts ago...it's a stock d-se.
It's funny receiving an information about a guy in Brescia directly from Colorado...
If you find the contact please post it. I'll send a mail to eventide, let's see what happens.
Thanks,Nick.
Old 27th October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
WOW!! The mistery is solved...
...after changing the battery backed ram...I simply initialize the presets too...and it works.

Strange, strange world.
Old 30th October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Like they say, "Timing is everything." About 2 weeks ago my H3000 stopped working. I was busy and didn't have time to pull it out of the rack and ship it to Eventide for repair. Then I see this thread. I order the chip, $8.95 plus $8 shipping and Voila! My H3000 is now working fine. Ya gotta love gearslutz! Special thanks to WTMNMF for his timely info.
Old 7th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Awesome, the replacement chip worked for me. Thank you very very much.

Now anybody maybe knows the replacement part number of the power transformer?
Or-even better- a switch mode power supply that provides the correct voltages PLUS doesnΒ΄t hum at all?

All the best
Jakob
Old 7th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought a brand new H8000FW from USA as I couldn't get one in UK only the H7600FW in uk at time. Had it shipped over and got stung hard by UK's stupid import duty + vat + vat on shipping costs.

Worked fine for a month then kept crashing, turns out there is a fault with the motherboard on the brand new unit that does not charge the battery so every 3 weeks I have to put a new battery in.

This is a MAJOR pain in the arse as you have to take out the firewire card to get the battery in.

Contacted Eventide and they say they will only fix it in USA and not at a Uk service centre!!! And I have to pay for the postage myself. This will cost me Β£200 at least with insurance and decent packaging.

It has loads of warranty left, why can't they just use a Uk centre to look at it? Hell send me the motherboard and I'll fit it sending the old one back.

It's really not my fault that the brand new one was faulty.
Old 22nd September 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lole ➑️
WOW!! The mistery is solved...
...after changing the battery backed ram...I simply initialize the presets too...and it works.

Strange, strange world.
Hi,
Please help me , my eventide h3000 SE has exactly the same problems as you had,
What's the component that you replaced ?

which code or where can I order it?
Thanks a lot

Ric
Old 22nd September 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrkrdo ➑️
Hi,
Please help me , my eventide h3000 SE has exactly the same problems as you had,
What's the component that you replaced ?

which code or where can I order it?
Thanks a lot

Ric

YeaaH! I fixed the problem ! no worries about the battery etc, I just removed all the eproms an placed them again , cleaned as much as I could ( with no deoxit) and that's it!

XXXXX NOTE: if someone experienced the same problem ,, try first what i did.

Cheers
Old 2nd November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
H3000 Died

Guys, the exact same thing has happened to mine that I bought used about three months ago. My questions are: does anyone know the exact RAM to purchase? I was a little confused that there may be more than one version on the SemiConductor site. Also, I checked my eproms and the RAM and they are in there tight. So tight, I cannot pull them out. How do you remove them without using so much force you damage something? Everything looks clean in there and I tried to reset the system but it would stop after just turning on. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 2nd November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm not sure you need to replace anything. This is a known and common problem with H3000s. The ribbon cable and IC pins become slightly corroded and the whole thing crashes. Get some contact cleaner, gently remove the ribbon cable from its socket and gently clean the contacts (I used a small piece of wire dipped in cleaner IIRC) then wipe the wire ends with cleaner. Replace the cable and do the other end. Gently press down on each IC to reseat it. Usually that's all you need and it'll work for another year or two, then you'll do it again...
Old 4th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Just to let everyone know. I checked inside and everything was very clean and tight. I removed the plastic power connector even though it was on good and cleaned it and replaced it. So far it's working perfectly again. Thanks
Old 27th January 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
was wondering if anyone had any input on this:

I bought an h3000 se that was supposed to have been a d/se. it had more presets than the SE should have, but was missing many many others.
I bought the upgrade kit from ebay and installed it. All of the jumpers were already good(looked like stock factory) except the 2nd one up from the bottom(forgot the name), that I had to cut between the ctr and right connects.

as far as eproms, Algorhythym(sp?), one called "applications" and the one in U53 were all eventide, marked v2.16. there was a mod factory installed in the bottom most right hand side spot, and in the spot at the top of the right row(directly under the power cable hookup) was one labled "More Applictions" and was marked v2.17.

I Replaced U53 with my new OS 2.17, replaced everything logically, leaving the v2.17 "more applications".

Basically, short story turned long, I rebooted, said "yes" to the remove all presets, thinking that I didn't want to somehow "overwrite" the eproms I'd just installed.

well, I do have all the d/se presets/mod factory as well. but as I look at a list I hadnt seen before, it turns out I had all the B+B/LT prestets, as well as a bunch of 3500 presets as well from what I remember.
Is there a way to re-boot, regaining those b/blt sets and the others somehow?

Thks,
Jordan
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Resetting the operating system

Fixed my non effecting 3000B fully loaded. When you press input it had no effects. I reset the operating system and it worked! cheers!!
Old 29th August 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
"Remove all presets"

Quote:
Reset procedure:

1) Hold FUNCTION while turning on power.
2) Release FUNCTION key.
3) H3000 displays "Remove all presets?", press NO (third key from the left).
I have a H3000 that is not responding to MIDI notes except in a single preset, so I'm thinking about restoring its factory presets. (Harmonizing to MIDI notes is all I care about.)

My question is, what does the "Remove all presets?" message above mean? The H3000 will zero out all the factory presets in its EPROM with some built-in EPROM zapper? Or is it a doofusly worded take on "Restore factory presets from ROM?" (I think that's what it is, but I'm not 100% sure, hence my post.) Thank you in advance.
Old 29th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes you are right. It should say "restore factory presets" to be more accurate.
But then again, it will wipe any presets that you have made too, so it is sort of right.
I have done this, so if you don't mind losing your stored programs, you will be fine.
Old 29th August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➑️
Yes you are right. It should say "restore factory presets" to be more accurate.
Thank you, TheBrightSide. Now I can do the restore without worry.
Synths usually ask, "Restore factory presets?", followed by "This will erase user presets. OK / Cancel" confirmation. Not sure why Eventide opted for confusing wording instead.

Rom is in theory read-only memory whose contents cannot be "removed" by the typical host, but I did successfully format and save to some Roms occasionally. One was the factory Rom cartridge of my UK-bought Yamaha DX7IID. (I wiped it intentionally, it did not have a single patch I liked. :-) Hence my initial worry the Eventide might do something similar if it says so...
Old 29th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No problem!
Can I ask exactly how you are using the midi functions on the 3000?
This is one area I haven't explored yet.
Old 30th August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No problem!
Can I ask exactly how you are using the midi functions on the 3000?
This is one area I haven't explored yet.
It seems this is one area no one have explored yet. I posted several questions about MIDI note driven pitch shifting on Eventide's own forum and there was a surprising silence. It's weird, considering that my TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 can harmonize 8-voice chords from my singing as fast as I play them on a synth.

I bought a H3000 expecting it to be the next step up form the TC. Maybe reinitializing will help it, we'll see tonight. If it doesn't, I have the D/SE chipset to try next, I just need to learn to solder.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hah! Yes there is a lot of features to get through on the 3000's. I've had mine since January and have only gotten through about half the presets.
So I haven't even plugged a midi cord into it yet, even though mine has the sampler card too.
Let us know how you go, that would be good!
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Reinitialization successful. The factory patch set seems to be the same presets this H3000 came with. Even patch 211 Rock'N'Roll, the only one that responded to MIDI notes before stopped responding to them after reinitialization, until I turned MIDI Modulation back to Mod=Y under Function. (This global change still didn't make the other H3000 presets responsive to my keyboard doodles.)

So the lack of MIDI note pitch shifting wasn't caused by H3000 preset / OS garbling, apparently. I'll expand the H3000 to D/SE next to see if polyphonic MIDI note pitch shifting is maybe a later D/SE exclusive. Here I go, learning to solder tiny rectangles on a motherboard...
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Eventide uses NRPN or unregistered parameter change for midi.

Wile I could capture and send realtime Eventide changes in Logic I could never (formulate) my own change and transmit it successfully.

In Logic I attempted to use the Transformer object to turn the Eventide NRPN into CC data that could be manipulated like any other controller data.

I need to get back to that project I sorta gave up. I am having the same issue with my tc 1128 EQ.
Old 3rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Status report: trying to upgrade the plain H3000 to D/SE bricked it.
Not the best news, but OTOH this settles my TC Helicon vs. H3000 dilemma.
I'm back to writing music instead of soldering motherboards... yesss!
Old 3rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I upgraded my 3500 today with the eproms off ebay. Now it has every preset possible.
I had the caps replaced too as it was making a bit of noise. It's still noisey sometimes but it is much better. This thing has a mind of its own.
Anyway I paid someone to do the work, I don't even trust myself to change a fuse.
And soldering? I'd burn the house down.
Old 3rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I upgraded my 3500 today with the eproms off ebay. Now it has every preset possible.
Congratulations. I'd be curious to know, does the expanded unit offer a preset that does MIDI note pitch shift? Will it turn your vocal into the chord you play on a connected MIDI keyboard? In a nutshell, can the upgraded Harmonizer harmonize?

I reverted my H3000 to the original Rom, that got it working again. Could you tell me what the repair guy charged you to upgrade your unit to 3500? I might send him mine.
πŸ“ Reply