The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure KSM44
Old 10th October 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You WILL purchase a KSM44...and a 32, while you're at it.

Resistance is FUTILE!!

🎧 15 years
I find the 44 has good detail. I've been using it on a project along with a U67 and an M49 and it's hangin' in there. In a lot of ways I like better then the 67, it's clearer and more matter of fact, not so huge and lush like the 67. It sounds more natural. Different strokes I guess.

I really like it with my Origin STT-1 in tube mode, I find that the top end is smoother with a tub pre instead if the 1073/Pacifica deal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Also... I find the 44s very quiet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ahh, interesting. Thanks, James!

Looks like I'll have to give it a try.

Cheers all.

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
awesome mic for m/s recording. Guitar's and acoustic instruments pop out at you. Heavy duty and build like a tank. I think I can use it for self defense if things got out of hand at the studio.. I like it for baritone male vocals. Has a very honest midrange and low end. Recorded half of the vocals on my latest album with it. Check it out below!
krs
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➑️
I find the 44 has good detail. I've been using it on a project along with a U67 and an M49 and it's hangin' in there. In a lot of ways I like better then the 67, it's clearer and more matter of fact, not so huge and lush like the 67. It sounds more natural.
I'd believe that - it really depends what you're doing with it. I don't record vocals (almost ever) and that seems to me like the place where cheaper mics can occasionally hang with expensive company.

I can tell you for recording acoustic instruments, in particular outside of near field or ambient duties, the KSM44 is not a strong choice.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➑️
I find the 44 has good detail.
I totally agree, maybe not a "oh my god I can hear my hair growing" kind of detail but it has good detail and nice mids ... I think which pre was used makes a difference too, but I think the ksm44 is a great mic overall
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
i agree that the pre can fundamentally change the character of this mic, one thing i like bout the 44 is that it works well with almost every pre solid, tube, lowend, highend, u can actually model it s sound for whatever your approach is. this mic through a tube pre in omni is a killer!.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs ➑️
Come on guys let's not get carried away
The only negative thing I can say about the KSM44 is that I like the KSM32 better. Its almost comic how often the KSM 32 beats out waaaaay more expensive mics in blind shoot outs.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I shure like the ksm32 ,sounds awesome for the money.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet ➑️
Ah, finally! I've been wondering if someone would mention the question of detail. Asked in the other thread but, alas!, no one addressed it.

The lack of detail is kind of what makes the line so utilitarian. Without any freq poking out and highlighting the source, it makes it much easier to work in more situations. Thats what I like about my KSM 32s and what makes them so great as overheads. They never get pokey, yet I can dial in the right amount of high end no problem. I've used my KSM 32s on everything, and while they've never been mind blowing, they have never ever sounded bad. They also completely destroyed both the Soundelux U-195 and a Jim Williams modded 414-B ULS on my voice too.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Weird... I didn't like the 32 much at all, found it to sound artificial on everything I tried it on (acoustic string instruments, percussion, vox, various places on a drum kit). I even tried 3 types of preamps just in case it didn't play nice with the first preamp I had tried it with. On the other hand, I found the 44 instantly more usable and realistic sounding. Not great, but a good mic at least.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➑️
The only negative thing I can say about the KSM44 is that I like the KSM32 better. Its almost comic how often the KSM 32 beats out waaaaay more expensive mics in blind shoot outs.
anyone have samples of the 32 and 44 side by side? or just the 44?
would also love to hear the 44 through a tube pre.
i'm curious
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can't help with a comparison to KSM44....but this little ditty was tracked with a 32 in front of a Martin/Sigma through a Trident 4T strip.

Same setup for vox.

SoundClick song info: Still Won't Rain by Lenny and the Scapers - Ballad Rock
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I can tell you for recording acoustic instruments, in particular outside of near field or ambient duties, the KSM44 is not a strong choice.

Sheesh, you could replace "KSM44" in that sentence with the names of several dozen well-respected & coveted mics and it would be just as true; that is a rather rarified application you are describing there!
Old 11th October 2007 | Show parent
krs
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What you guys don't do classical in here or what?

(In my world this is a very normal thing to expect of a quality, versatile condenser mic thumbsup )
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What you guys don't do classical in here or what?
Not as much as I used to, but I did make my living doing mostly Jazz and Chamber music for a couple years.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love it in female vox. Very airy and upfront at the same time.
Never liked it in Ac Guitar.
Louder Than Liftoff

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➑️
The same can be said for the lowly Shure SM57.

I've used/owend the KSM27 and the KSM32. The 27 did not impress me at all. I think there are many better sounding mics in the sub-$300 price range. The CAD M179 comes to mine. The KSM32 was a very neutral sounding mic that I got a lot of mileage out of. I would describe it as clinical. It never sucked on anything and sounded just fine on a lot of things. But it never wowed me and I could always put up a mic that sounded better. As I collected more mics I found myself using it less and less, but I enjoyed it while I had it. It did the job. It's like that guy at the office that never really gets promoted, but you keep him around anyway because he stays the course.

I think the CAD M179 is a more useful and cost effective mic than both the KSM32 and 27, especially since it has continuously variable patterns, a pad, and a low-cut.

Brad
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I picked up a second-hand KSM44 today mostly based on the great reviews that people have been giving it. To be honest I wasn't all that interested in it initially because it has sort of a cheesy/cheap look to it (the shockmount too).

Anyway I tried it out tonight on a female vocalist (sort of raspier voice like Nelly Furtado can get) and it was really quite nice. The pre I was using was a TLA 5001B. Although not a high-end pre, the match was quite nice. The mic reproduced the lows ( south of 600Hz) of her voice in a really flattering way. And there will be no need to De-Ess either. The top end was smooth.

So far I'd say this isn't an aggressive or up-front mic. Seems to sit just right.

Next up: drums....
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I love my KSM 32 I just pulled it out a couple of months ago after not using it for years because I work at a studio with loads of expensive mics.....but the ksm has been used in every session extensively......could be a second honeymoon thing.....but made me feel good to use it again as it was the first expensive mic I ever bought.
Lives for gear

I got to try the ksm44 on my voice today. Pretty damn good. I also tried a u87. I like the U87 a little more!

Thanks James!
πŸ“ Reply