The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Songs you love that have "mistakes"!
Old 12th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Songs you love that have "mistakes"!

Like...
Paul's voice cracking during The Beatles"If I Fell".
Background coughing in "Wendy", by the Beach Boys.

You get the idea.
Somehow I like many songs BETTER with mistakes,
as long as it's a compelling performance.

Chris
Old 12th November 2002
Founder

A LOT of the Stones stuff slipped by with poor timing, it was still good...
Old 12th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
ummm.

Difficult to edit out of a take for the period, but Miles Davis 'Sketches of Spain' has some pretty glaring 'mistakes'.

I like Bill Bruford missing the snare on the drum roll at the end of Lark's Tongues in Aspic (I think it was that one --- it's been awhile).

Oh yeah, Beck leaves alot of intentional 'mistakes' in his recordings --- some of those are great.

-cal
Old 12th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
The beggining of Elvis Costello I dont wnna go to chelsea when he doesnt get the fret . I also love Pavemant and ****s way outta tune constantly etc on their records.
Old 12th November 2002
Founder

OT- in that Elvis Costello song, the line - "Get your kicks at 66" .....

66 was a large elegant house in Chelsea owned by a unbeliveably hip & very druggie family. There were 14 year old 'bong experts' living there! It was a sort of Urban Wooodstock vibe. As a teenager, I staggered out of there disorientated on a few occaisions during the mid 70's! It was hard to keep up with them.

Old 12th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
There are many examples of timing issues with several alternative bands on the radio right now, such as Blink 182 songs off of the album with "All the small things"... name escapes me.
Old 12th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Deju Vu...

The feedback in the live version of Bob Marley's "No Woman, No Cry".
Old 12th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That crazy edit on the start of "start me up" !
Old 12th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Ya know,
it is amazing how many flaws people overlook when the material is good stuff. I have been thinking about this and except for your million dollar mixes, there are tons of songs out and appreciated now with tempo issues...speeding up and slowing down. If you seek...you will find.
Old 12th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Songs you love that have "mistakes"!

Louie, Louie.
Old 13th November 2002
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Often it's the mistakes that make the song a special event... a captured moment in time. Perfection is highly over rated... see "Exile on Main St." for details.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All of Van Morrison's " Hymn's for the Silence " record.. there is vocal distortion all over the place.. But who cares!
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Stones "Time is On My Side" has a LOUD tambourine that's incredibly out of time.

Dylan "Visions of Johanna" -- he goes left, the bass player goes right, and it doesn't matter. It just brings out the immediacy of the single-take quality.
Old 14th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
And you get the "mistakes" which help define a new style.
Like...
Al Kooper's playing on the organ in "Like A Rolling Stone".
(one of my all-time faves) Sometimes less is more.

Chris
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Joanie Mitchell's "Blue" album has a few points where the lead vocal has very audible distortion at the loudest spots. The overall sound is very clear and pristine, not dirty at all, so I imagine she just gave some unexpected volume bursts and they decided to keep the takes anyway. Not hard to see why.
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
On Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden, there is a high-pitched squeel, like the sound a TV makes with the sound all the way down. It only comes in at certain times, seems like it's on a certain track or tracks. Anyone know what can cause that?
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I have never heard Talk Talk in my life but is that the record Phil Brown was talking about in Tape Op where they first experimented with time stretching. If thats the album I've got a $5 dollar bill that say that the culprit.
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Ben Folds Five's "Kate." The whole first verse is ****ed up. Ben's piano and Darren Jesse’s drums are off by an eight note.

And let's not forget the muted guitar chunking in Radiohead's "Creep."
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Cannon,

Yep that's the one, but he said they re-pitched the whole song, and the noise i'm talking about comes in and out during a song, like when a certain track is un-muted or something. So I don't think that's it.

On another note, I challenge you or anyone to pick out which tune is re-pitched. (The interview uses "working titles" for tracks, so it's not clear form that.) I couldn't tell!

J
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Pretty obvious, but Iggy & the Stooges "Raw Power" is all about capturing the mental state of the band and not least the singermadd Fantastic guitars, way out of line, but it rocked harder than Hard to beat!
Old 16th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Long live The Ramones!

Chris
Old 16th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You can throw the Stones in there as well!!
Outta tune and outta time and as loose as my grandma, but **** they rocked.

I just wish they knew when to give up. They are the Ron Jeremy of the music biz.

I do remember listening to a Ched Atkins record a long time ago on vinyl whose title escapes me. What I really dug about it was right at the end when Ched said something to the effect of "mistakes and all". Someone here may know the album title and ACTUAL quote.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 18th December 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
You know that Iggy album "Raw Power"...

has to be one of the rawest recordings ever set to tape, pressed to vinyl, or burned on CD. The name "Raw Power" is pretty appropriate, under the circumstances.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…