Quantcast
Eddie Shreds! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eddie Shreds!
Old 6th October 2007
Eddie Shreds!

Ok this is real not a fake one. HE is out of tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjx_GjyXCs4
Old 6th October 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Better here

He is better this night, but it is not perfect. Dave is worse this night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgX6AejWrFE
Old 6th October 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra ➡️

YouTube - Van Halen - Jump (Greensboro)
fire the tech
Old 6th October 2007 | Show parent
Lee
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I think they all sound great. Dave wasn't a really great live singer in the first place, so I'd say he sounds pretty good these days.
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee ➡️
I think they all sound great. Dave wasn't a really great live singer in the first place, so I'd say he sounds pretty good these days.
Can you not hear THAT? Wow.
Lee
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC ➡️
Can you not hear THAT? Wow.

I think you're just expecting too much.
I think Dave is distracted by that out of tune guitar. I would fire that tech. 3 second guitar swap. You think his harmonizer is stuck or something?
Lee
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
btw, if you were talking about the first clip I didn't listen to that one. I only listened to the one marked better

and yes that sucks. and I would say dave did a pretty good job considering that, because that would really **** me up.
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee ➡️
I think you're just expecting too much.
Playing in tune is too much?. Heck, I saw him absolutely drunk, adjusting truss rod tension, doing a hammer-on solo, while shouting at his tech, without missing a beat.

I just saw your post dude. Gotcha.
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think Dave is distracted by that out of tune guitar. I would fire that tech. 3 second guitar swap. You think his harmonizer is stuck or something?
At first I thought maybe that they were tuning down a hair to accommodate Dave and someone forgot to tune the track down. But I don't think that's it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I know! I posted this rant on thegear page and they were oblivious to it. TOTALLY freaken outta of tune. They are also a few shows and most of the guitar solos that are performed as if Ed was piss-fall-down drunk and then in 4-5 bars he is playing ok, then maybe excellent tapping for a few seconds and then nonsense. Very strange. Everyone who has been at the show has said, Ed rocked, played excellent, tone was there, in tune, etc.... Criticized the recording devices and youtube's streaming as the problem.... denial or some truth?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Actually Dave sounded great in the first one until Eddies guitar kicked in.

I think he`s a better singer than people give him credit for.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
the clips i saw of the first couple shows were great. my buddy saw them in philly and said they were unbelievable but of course there are rumors of booze, and fighting already. im getting sick of brittany in the news anyway.
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 ➡️
I know! I posted this rant on thegear page and they were oblivious to it. TOTALLY freaken outta of tune. They are also a few shows and most of the guitar solos that are performed as if Ed was piss-fall-down drunk and then in 4-5 bars he is playing ok, then maybe excellent tapping for a few seconds and then nonsense. Very strange. Everyone who has been at the show has said, Ed rocked, played excellent, tone was there, in tune, etc.... Criticized the recording devices and youtube's streaming as the problem.... denial or some truth?
Well all have romantic concert moments in our heads. If we could all find board tapes of those events, we would be surprised at how the mind and ears mask, especially at loud volumes. How much can people discern when levels are near 130dB?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
stsanders you have to be behind this somewhere! how did you do it? man, if the keyboard was in 440 then eddie certainly was not. PAINFULL!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ed usually tunes down half a step. Looks like a defininite tech error.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dave sounds good , pretty impressive.
The drums were buried though, I guess that was a cellphone?
Old 6th October 2007
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

YouTube - Van Halen - Jump (Greensboro)
Ha!

You think you can fool me again?!?

tutt

heh heh heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
eddie

Eddie has a pretty good ear. I saw him make tuning adjustments DURING songs a number of times. However, the least little thing wrong with that whammy bar setup, and/or being drunk can cause mayhem.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
STOP! You idiots. Truly.

Please guys, stop with Eddie is drunk crap!

He has worked hard and is sober... give a guy a break.

LISTEN for a change. (not talking one or two cell phones YouTubes)

Stop blogging off at the mouth with some "this is what's cool to write these days" G.S.B.S. when you have no idea what the cureent situation truly is.

I'd take a ANY of you weekend warriors and arm-chair quarterbacks and put them against Eddie's WORST day ANYDAY.

You want "real" info, go to people who REALLY know... and stop being tabloid pussestutt

-Andrews Jenkins (incase ya wanna find me)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️

Stop blogging off at the mouth with some "this is what's cool to write these days" G.S.B.S. when you have no idea what the cureent situation truly is.

I'd take a ANY of you weekend warriors and arm-chair quarterbacks and put them against Eddie's WORST day ANYDAY.

You want "real" info, go to people who REALLY know... and stop being tabloid pussestutt

I dunno man I'll go up against his worst day heh THat sounded pretty bad.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Eddie was supposed to be using the Frankenstrat for that song because it is specifically tuned to work with the Keyboards (as seen in the slightly better version of the song posted in this thread)

He was using the wrong guitar for that tune

It is likely that his gtr tech knew and was trying to get Eddie to use the right guitar but Eddie is pretty stubborn sometimes

Don't ask me how I know, but I know, I will have to kill you if I tell you
Lee
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I don't think he was drunk, I think the tech just gave him a guitar tuned for a different song and so the whole thing was just flat. I would've gone and switched the guitar and let them band play without me for 10 seconds.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Elaborate hoax?

Can anyone hear the wah pedal during the solo? Am I hearing things?!?

If that is indeed wah, then why isn't Eddie playing the wah pedal himself in the solo? Hmmm

Surely he wouldn't let his tech do the wah pedal tutt
I don't think Eddie is drunk and yes Dirty Halo I dig what you are saying. I meant this post as a "What the hell happened" thread. some of my roadie tech friends seem to think the harmonizer crapped out. It almost shifts in randomness. I can't wait to see them live. Hehe from the crappy cell phone camera little wolfgang looks like M. Anthony.
They have the same build.
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️

1. I for one did not say Ed was drunk NOW. He WAS trashed at the Sammy reunion concert in OKC, OK.

2. You would think as hard core as Ed is, that his crew would not emberace him like that.

3. Cell phones do not record incorrectly tuned and sloppily played guitars and leave the vocals and bass in tune. Not even a Behringer iPhone can malfunction like that.
Old 7th October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i still believe and repect eddie van halen 100%. it was just some technical mishap that has happend to us all at one time or another if we are performers. the other songs from the night sound pretty good so it was just this one song. that being said "jump" is one of the dumbest songs ever written so to couple it with the out of tune mishap and dvr mounting the giant mic and humping it across the stage you are getting a real spinal tap moment in all it's grandeur.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just look for "van halen 2007" on youtube & you'll find better clips. Everybody Wants Some is great (Van Halen Last Rehearsal 2007). Dave is making sfx while Ed is copying him near the end.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I can't get past that guy in the front row....wearing the boots from the '85 tour, and the parachute pants from the '87 tour.....jeez....
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snüzz ➡️
... "jump" is one of the dumbest songs ever written so to couple it with the out of tune mishap and dvr mounting the giant mic and humping it across the stage you are getting a real spinal tap moment in all it's grandeur.
I'm thankful every day I didn't write that song. I don't know what I'd do with all the cash.

I think it was Voltaire who wote, "anything too stupid to be said is sung."

Come on, it's a dumb song, but it's a good song.

I saw DLR in concert. He doesn't take himelf too seriously anymore and was pretty fun in concert. He knew he was older, couldn't jump as high, roundhouse kick as well, or hit all the high notes. At the finale, when he was up on the drum riser about to do flying splits, he crossed himself in prayer that he wouldn't hurt himself. So while humping a giant inflatable mic across stage is admittedly corny, they are just goofing around.

The giant inflatable penis might have been already rented.
📝 Reply