Quantcast
Pinch Roller Cleaner - where? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pinch Roller Cleaner - where?
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pinch Roller Cleaner - where?

Does anyone know where i can order a can of this at? Havnt had much luck on the internet as far as products still being manufactured and forget about the real world. I went to Radio Shack and the lady there reccomended i use "LCD Screen Cleaner." I looked at the can and asked her if she was kidding and her reply was, "Its what i would use, we dont have anything else." I just left, ****ing AMAZED. Glad that place didnt hire me.

Copy machines need thier rollers cleaned so i figured id be able to find it around, but nope. Not even the office supply whatever place i went had anything, didnt know **** about it.

ive cleaned it with alchohol a few times because it was so bad that you could see the film of oxide on it. But i dont want to dry it out, may already have, hope not. Probably havnt cleaned it any more than like 15 times with the isopropanol alchohol, and i helped dry it up, but whatever.

Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
its isopropyl alcohol

you should clean all metal parts with that
and hot water for the rubber parts
Old 29th September 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Swarfega or just plain washing up liquid is best for cleaning pinch rollers.

If they're slipping then reversing them on the spindle can help too.

Nick
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Caig Caikleen cleaner/rejuvenator.
Just Google Caig.

Best,
mwd
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
We always used lacquer thinner (not paint thinner) on the typewriter feedrolls and platens in the office machine industry.

This was the only chemical that would remove oxidation, leave no residue and yet prevent paper slipping.

Therefore I always used it on the pinch rollers.

Oxidation comes right off but it IS DANGEROUS.
Great for rubber... but will melt plastic on contact.

Dab it on a rag (no dripping) and wrap it around your finger and start wiping the roller off.

Or even better if the roller can be removed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
awesome! thanks guys.
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peat ➑️
its isopropyl alcohol
Alcohol will eventually eat & melt the rubber.

Bad idea.

Get some real rubber cleaner... or you could use windex or plain old soap & water. Either one of those two is 100% safe.
Old 30th September 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cool. when i first got the thing i was obsessed with keeping it clean. like before and after i used it i would clean at least the heads, the roller every 10 times or so. that wore off eventually and i clean it every 10 uses or so now. im sure the guy that had it before didnt take half as much care of it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The MCI analog deck manuals recommended using 409.

It is what I still use.
It works fine.
It has worked for me for years and doesn't mess up the pinch roller.

I use the 409 with a washrag that has some texture to dig into the built up oxide or whatever is there.

🎧 15 years
It really depends on the specific mfg.
For the Otari MX80 the dreaded alcohol is the recommended cleaning agent, specifically 99% pure isopropyl. Used it for 15 years without ill effects. Before that I had an Ampex MM1200 which used a different cleaning agent. I always clean and demag after every use so the oxide doesn't sit on the roller for long periods of time. Also, clean off any residue cleaning agent by running the machine in edit mode and holding a lint free cloth against the pinch roller.
Not all pinch rollers are the same. Check with the experts on the SPECIFIC roller you have.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
whatever you clean it with make sure that you don't let ANY liquid run down the shafts and into the machine, especially important for the capstan!!! can i say that again??? back in the day i was told to use 409 or windex on the rubber. never, ever alcohol. i almost did that once during my intern days on an A800mkIII and they were about to beat me with a wet noodle!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I was told, and have always used a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent per quart of water mixture. Then clean the remaining residue with distilled water. This was from two of the top Ampex repair guys in LA. I have had MM1000s, 1100s and 1200s. It always worked. I cleaned everything at least once a day depending on use, but as least everytime before I used the machine. As for the 409 I had always thought that it was for the ceramic capstan spindle not the puck. It really worked well for that.
Steve
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i'd try Tascam .They must still have rubber cleaner and head cleaner two different things
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs ➑️
Alcohol will eventually eat & melt the rubber.

Bad idea.

Get some real rubber cleaner... or you could use windex or plain old soap & water. Either one of those two is 100% safe.

Yeah, totally bad idea. Not eventually. INSTANTLY. That is if it's made of any kind of rubber they use on the TASCAM decks. I'm having to get a new one right now. It was crazy, the damn thing just turned to tar.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking ➑️
Yeah, totally bad idea. Not eventually. INSTANTLY. That is if it's made of any kind of rubber they use on the TASCAM decks. I'm having to get a new one right now. It was crazy, the damn thing just turned to tar.
well mine is 424mk][ and its had alchohol on it plenty of times.

tascam AFAIK, discontinued thier cleaning supplies.

some real interesting replies though. 409 as per manufacturer? never would have guessed it.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Pinch Roller Cleaner

For Pinch Roller Cleaner and a good conditioner which I have used for years
and seems to do as it claims, try MS/SM Rubber Renu.

**But a coution or two..
Keep it away from plastics & don't let it touch your skin !!
Don't use a Q Tip with a plastic stem, use the ones with a long wood stem and apply in one direction only.
Also, A extremely well ventilated room is a MUST..
When you have finished with the swab do not throw it in an indoor garbace can, get it out of the building ASAP. The fumes are killer, so to speak.

I Always have a fan on, windows open and wear a filter Mask.

It is made by M.G. Chemicals, a Canadian company.. and it works wonders in keeping rubber in good condition.

Don't put this on condoms as you wont like the result.

Here is a link..

Head Cleaner, Rubber Renue & Electrosolve

Never put Isopropyl Alcohol in rubber parts, (or so I was told long ago).

OWL:
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle S ➑️
well mine is 424mk][ and its had alchohol on it plenty of times.

tascam AFAIK, discontinued thier cleaning supplies.

some real interesting replies though. 409 as per manufacturer? never would have guessed it.
Yep...

It is in the MCI JH-24 and JH-110 manuals.

I can ask Steve Sadler.

DB
mwd
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by contempo ➑️
...back in the day i was told to use 409 or windex on the rubber. never, ever alcohol.
If I'm not mistaken one of the main ingredients of Windex is alchohol.

Cool avatar... any interesting story behind that?
Old 1st October 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK...... I talked to Steve Sadler who is the absolute guru on all things MCI and he said "Formula 409 or soapy water ONLY."

I'd say that the same goes for any other manufacturer's pinch rollers.

I would run the alcohol on the MTR 90 rollers idea past the folks at Athan because they are the only people that make the things any longer.

It sounds like a bad idea to me!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Owl ➑️

Never put Isopropyl Alcohol in rubber parts, (or so I was told long ago).

OWL:
That's also my opinion. I only use denatured alcohol. That's what Ampex service guys used at the factory when I visited in the 70's.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought a few cans of Nortronics QM108 back in the mid-1980's and have been using them exclusively ever since, for pinch rollers, capstans, guides and heads. Works great, non-destructive, and if I ever run out of this supply (which unfortunately I'm about to) I don't know what I'll do!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've had an 80-8 since 1979 which I bought new and has been in constant use up 'till a few years ago. I've used denatured alchohol exclusively on heads, metal parts and pinch rollers. The pinch rollers still look good and I've never had any "gooey" issues. The old beast still works and the only issue has been the quality of tape in respect to "sticky shed". As a matter of fact, the Model 3 mixer still works also, but requires an occasional squirt of contact cleaner on the faders and submix pots. I've heard some horror stories regarding gooey rollers from those who have used rubber cleaner. I think the denatured works well because it evaporates quickly and doesn't have a chance to penetrate the rubber.
The soap/409 method seems like it would work also, as it is probably gentle.

🎧 15 years
While we're on the subject.....I find lint free cloths to be the best applicator for cleaning pinch rollers. I use Texwipe TX304 and Caig also has a similar product. Much better than Q-tips.
Old 2nd October 2007 | Show parent
Tape Op

🎧 15 years
We use S-721H on the rubber bits.

http://americanrecorder.com/catalog/...f00f2ca63ccbf2
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Are we still discussing pinch rollers? ...I ignore them ..they never seem to need attention.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➑️
Are we still discussing pinch rollers? ...I ignore them ..they never seem to need attention.
Just curious, how many years have you been ignoring them?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Many years ..they're old and keep sputtering along, no probs.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➑️
Many years ..they're old and keep sputtering along, no probs.
Any of them 2"? I've found the big pinch rollers to be the most susceptable to cupping and other issues that oxide buidup can cause. I've still got original rubber on two Techniques 1500s that are used for copying off old tapes and they are still in great condition but I've seen Ampex 1/4' rollers harden in just a few years. My Otari rollers used to be changed about every 3-4 years to keep the tape path top notch but the last one has been on quite a while now. Problems like flutter, tape patch skew and just plain inability to pull tape to speed occur with poorly maintained pinch rollers.
Lives for Jesus

🎧 15 years
Athan has the best stuff for cleaning Pinch Rollers and will pull dirt off the tape path that alcohol wont clean, you will be amazed at how much alcohol leaves behind

Pinch Roller Cleaner

I have used Formula 409 it will clean way better than alcohol to, and is fine for pinch rollers

πŸ“ Reply