The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
stand for big-ass console?
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
stand for big-ass console?

We moved the Soundcraft 600 into the studio last night and set it up temporarily on a cheap "Office Depot" $30 table. we know that we need a more substantial stand, but I haven't had any luck finding anything suitable. the "mixer stands" from companies like Quik-lok are for little Mackies or digital boards, not 6ft long 100lb + consoles. We're not in any financial position to have a custom millwork piece of furniture built; we need to find a heavy duty, basic stand or table, a place for a pair of nearfields would be great, but not required. Ideas?

thanks

steve
[email protected]
http://home.pacbell.net/sjp
Old 9th November 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
How big ass is big ass? Off the top of my head I'd say reach for some 2x4s and plywood. You could also put it on saw horses but I wouldn't really trust that.
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
stand

How big ass is big ass? Off the top of my head I'd say reach for some 2x4s and plywood. You could also put it on saw horses but I wouldn't really trust that.

About 6ft long and over 100 pounds. Instead of plywood and 2x4s, I'd much rather have that nice gray steel stand on Jay's home page....

steve
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
You can put together a metal stand using pipe and it's fittings, then cover it's legs with painted PVC. The last in-house built console I saw was done that way.
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: stand

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
I'd much rather have that nice gray steel stand on Jay's home page....
That stand was specifically made for the board by Trident and bolts to the console. Even if you could find someone to part with one the best you could do is lay your board on top of it. Like Jay mentioned, get yourself some 2x's, plywood, and some black paint (or color of choice) and make a "table" for it. At least until you can get a carpenter (or welder) to create something nicer for you... it's the cheapest route.
Old 10th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Checkout "Sound Anchor". They make some of the best speaker stands I've seen. They make what look like great mixer stands and also do custom work. They are a bit pricey but very nice/heavy duty and should last you a lifelong.
Old 10th November 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Re: stand

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
[B
About 6ft long and over 100 pounds. Instead of plywood and 2x4s, I'd much rather have that nice gray steel stand on Jay's home page....
[/B]
Well, my console is about 4 1/2 feet long so it wouldn't be a good choice. Also, like Tim said it was made for the console. I'd go out and get some 2x4s and plywood to make a custom table for it. I've seen it done lots of times. Paint it a cool color and you'll be all set. Hell, if you want to get fancy you could even put a bridge over the top for the nearfields or make it a bit longer and mount the patchbays or outboard.
Old 11th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
You should check this out:

http://www.optimumstands.com/

Looks like a nice design at a reasonable price
Old 12th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You could also look at Quik Lok they make a Z series mixer stand that worked well with my tascam M3500 while I had it. They are also fairly inexpensive.

http://www.quiklok.com/
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
console stand

We went with the old standby - an 80" solid core door slab over some existing furniture for support at either end. Unfortunately, the existing racks that we are using to support the door slab are too high for one of my partners. I like a nice high console so that I can stand when I want to without having to bend far down to reach the knobs. But partner needs the console at toddler height for some reason that I can't understand (he's 5'10", not a little guy) So we still need to find supports for under the slab, but the door itself is the best cheap solution out there. Those Quik-Lok stands are meant for Mackie style mixers, not for 6ft, 100lb + consoles. I know that from experience, and it was not pretty.

steve
http://home.pacbell.net/sjp/
Old 20th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Cheap rax w. front & rear rails

If you want some economical racks with front and rear rails to put under your table/mixer, I would suggest the "Road Ready" line at Guitar Center. They are imported but are made with sorta decent hardware. They are pretty low-priced.

You could slice them in half vertically, use some black painted plywood (or angle iron) as extensions to get your depth, and voila, extra deep racks with rails front and rear. In a previous life I cut an SVT bottom in half on a table saw and added new ends for a great improvement in heftability. A rack case should slice up pretty easily. If you want you could put some aluminum angle over the cut edges for trim. You could also do the slice with a Skilsaw but I think a big table saw would do a nicer job.

wurly
in the sun
πŸ“ Reply