The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony Inflator ?
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sony Inflator ?

Jules ? What ?!!! You beta test for Sony..right ? Dish it !
Old 7th November 2002
Founder

Its a warming plug in.

The beta I had was just one slider and did sound nice, I DO BELIVE it has had more bells and wistles put on it now..... It sounded v nice the brief time I used it. (it arrived during a LONG overdubbing stage and I only use plug ins at mixdown, now I am mixing, the beta, has timed out!!! must get the new one!)

Related to the topic - is the warmer function on the Sony compressor...

One day we need to set up a "battle of the warmer devices"

I feel a thread topic coming on!

heh
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
he Inflator is a unique process that can provide an increase in the apparent loudness of almost any programme, without obvious loss of quality or audible reduction of dynamic range, yet avoiding damaging increases in the peak level of the signal.

The Inflator was developed in response to requests from mixing and mastering engineers who are required to compete on the basis of the overall apparent loudness of their final results.

Use the Inflator to produce louder mixes than you thought possible without overloads or compression pumping, or use it to add natural warmth and character to acoustic or jazz mixes.

Use it on single instruments to add presence, softness and depth, or use it on percussion and drum tracks to produce amazing dynamic presence, tightness and volume.
Attached Images
Sony Inflator ?-inf-150.gif 
Old 8th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Inflator?

Couldn't they have picked a better name?

"Inflator" carries bad connotations with it. Like being full of hot air. Or inflated claims, as in false advertising. Or inflation ($)!

Puh-leeze.

Even "Sony2Tone" would be a better name! Pay me Sony!
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
It looks really cool
I hope it sounds good because I am going to buy one, but I am soon going to be a poor man soon because of all my investments in GEAR
Old 8th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
RTAS?

It says this sucker is RTAS too! Is this true? I never noticed the oxford says RTAS too! Will these work on LE systems does anyone know?
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I just downloaded the demo....for so few controls I had the read the manual twice to figure out what was going on. If I didn't know that the compresor had a warm function on it I might have to have this. It does sound nice.

Jules, what kind of controls are there for the warmer on the compresor?
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ok..ok.. I am WEAK..I AM A GEARSLUT...I now own it !

I wouldn't say it is a substitute for the L2..more of a maxxbass/L2/dadtape hybrid.. basically, a nice and controllable low end boost with warm comp/limiting plus the sense of spread and excitement added by the aforementioned plugs. Only had a couple of hours on it, though and I'm keeping it..oh yes..

fuuck
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I downloaded the demo today. I gotta tell ya´ll, I did´nt get jack ****?!
The only effect I could hear is the volym going up and a little bit of tube saturation. It also distorded the way digital stuff does, nothing like analog??!
I am very disappointed at the Sony guys......The EQ is nice, let´s just hope the compressor is as good as the eq and not a volume controller like the Inflator
Old 9th November 2002
Founder

"Jules, what kind of controls are there for the warmer on the compressor?"

1) Amount
2) Level away from "digital zero" (v fine like .007)

Seems real simple. However thats by no means a final word - its only a beta and I may have details incorrect..

I plan to give it a run through tomorrow - I will report back

Jules
Old 9th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yeah, well I don't expect Sony to be cool all the time, after all their eq's cool, but if they think I'm gunna part with cash for something half noticeable, then bye.

It looks like the dynamics plug is the back bone to the Intofloper, and they just wanna earn some money before release of the hyped Dynamics plug (which will be a help).

Marketing tossers.
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the Inflator's fantastic! There's actually two main effect controls: One is for the amount of effect in the mix and the other is the type of saturation being employed - from subtle to almost sounding like good analog gear on the edge of saturation.

It's absolutely not in competition with brick-wall limiter products as some are implying. It's something you'd place before your L2 so the L2 doesn't have to work as hard.

In some ways Sony is marketing this product too strongly as a loudness machine, because much of the market is demanding that, but to me personally, it's much more desireable for its warming powers. If your drum submix is to wimpy for the rest of your track, this thing is FANTASTIC.

MIKEY
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree. My initial impression is that is really good. OK it's quite subtle but so it should be. I need to try it on a few different things before deciding whether it's worth any outlay, but it sounds great.
J
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's really not that subtle if you don't want it to be. If you push the amount of effect and the saturation law to both near full, the effect is very noticeable. To make it even more aggressive you can push the input into the effect as well. If you want to hear what the effect is really doing, simply pull down the output and compare to your bypassed sound - back and forth until the level is even. Then you're just hearing the warming/saturation of the plug.

This has the potential to be the sleeper plug of the year because it's simple to use yet it really makes a positive difference.

MIKEY
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I've used the Inflator for a couple of months thru the beta program... It's been my first pick on tracks that need to be in the front of the mix. Helps considerably on a weak kick or snare or gtr solo or vocal that needs to up front...Not that you can't do a similar job with other plugins + riding the faders, but I have found the Sony to be a nice fit - - very detailed, plus it gives a nice degree of sonic warming depending on the source and how you set the controls and what you're looking for...

Snare - you can dial-in the sonic change and push it for a bit overload, you can always back down the output to fit the mix if you're looking to drive the input... I took a wimpy snare drum and made it beefy and snappy... No compression, only eq and the inflator..

Lead guitar - Nice for another way to color, and can stand out in front of the mix when you want it... L1 can make it louder with less overs, but the inflator has more detail to it... Again, no compression (prefer the dynamics or the strings vibrating over smooshed guitars if I can stay with it, otherwise I've been using either the Sony comp or ComprsrBank), just eq + inflators (if the track needs to standout more) plus a touch of room and plate and delays... I like having the ability to use little warming if the original track was less than good, or adding more warming if there needs to be a little subtle overdrive... If more overdrive is needed, then I'm more into re-amping, but sometimes an amp simulator plugin will work (least favorable way)..

Vocals - I prefer a touch of compression (BF Fairchild, or Ren Vox, or Sony Comp) with considerable riding the fader to get the vocals to fit, but I tried the inflator a few times on songs that called for a breathy or intimate vox... Worked well, and I liked having the curve control and effect control to dial-in very little effect or more if needed...

Bass - only used it once or twice if the track was really buried... Most of the tracks that I've been working on didn't need much gain change.. Besides I've found a touch of Ren Bass (with the flexibiilty to dial-in the harmonics) has been incredible in shaping these sounds..

Mix bus - it really shines here... I've been using it on every mix, in fact I've pulled the L2 out of previous mixes... The inflator beats the L2 everytime I've A/B'd at the final stages of the mix, but I need to point out that I'm not using either plug-in to squeeze every ounce of dynamics and I'm not in search of the loudest mix - - more in the mode of having a medium level maxmizer with a low level of limiting... The L2 to Inflator is a bit of apples and oranges... The L2 will do more in getting every micro-dB of loudness thru brick-wall limiting with limited overs. The Inflator is a general purpose normalizer, with some limiting, plus the ability to overdrive the input, add harmonic distorition with a curve setting...

I think both are usefull tools. If I had to decide between one or the other, I would go with Inflator... For me, it's sounds more detailed, has more capabilities to adjust the sound and I'm not trying to squeeze every last pico-dB...

I agree with the previous comment that there's danger and room for cocnern whenever too much distortion is added (and more so when it's in the digital world), like the whole ugly side of wanting the loudest and no-dynamic mix, but when used correctly it works pretty good.. Besides, I figure that good harmonic distortion has always been a friend in the tape and tube world...

I've found the combination of the two effect controls (harmonic distortion and curve) has a very noticeable effect... It's not the same mushy, boomy, high end rolloff effect as a tape saturator... Keep in mind that the curve control should start in the middle setting and you can adjust up or down to change the curve of the harmonic distortion charaterstic...

Bottom line for me, I think it's a tremendous tool on the mix bus... Gives the mix a nice glue to the sound. It's very detailed and you can dial-in some warmth. It's not a replacement for the brickwall L2, but I've found that I've been turning off the L2 and just using the Inflator most of the time..... My mix-bus currently is:

AC1 - Console 3 (or console 2 somtimes)

Sony Comp (still getting used to it, if I'm not sure about it on the song, I'll either go without a comp on the mix bus, or sometimes I'll go thru an analog loop into a Tube Tech CLA2b)

Sony EQ (like above, sometimes I'll go without eq on the mix bux and other times I'll go out analog to a Massive Passive, depends on the song and how it was tracked)

Sony Inflator (very light if the project will get mastered, or more if it's not going to mastering... Typically light on the warming effect)

POWr (If I'm still need more limiting on projects that won't get mastered, then I'll use the L2 for touch more limiting, plus it's dither)
Old 11th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Re: RTAS?

Quote:
Originally posted by unclemurray
It says this sucker is RTAS too! Is this true? I never noticed the oxford says RTAS too! Will these work on LE systems does anyone know?
To answer my own question, I just heard from Sony and, yes the full version will work in RTAS not the demo though, but, they are working on an RTAS only version just for LE and should be done by year's end. In fact, he said they plant o port all their plugs to LE soon! Great news for compatibility at home!
Old 13th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Mmmm a bit harsh I think I was on this product, I put it down to marketing earlier due to someones disatisfaction, however after using it on demo for a bit, and reading the manual (needed!!).

It's bloody great for creating high levels with no real apparent loss in dynamics. If you use it right it does give that distorted yet listenable sound so many peeps want.

Any way bring on the comp, I'm a HD owner who's run out of money, and instead of Ren comp I'm holding out for this. In the mean time it's the C1 (plug) and it aint cutting the mustard.
Old 9th December 2002
📝 Reply