The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drawmer DS-501 'Powergate'
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Drawmer DS-501 'Powergate'

Anyone used it? Opinions?

The 'peak punch' function looks like a godsend for dialing extra snap/punch into drums!

I love the classic DS-210 and just wondering if they was a serious improvement or merely a refinement of a staple..

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yep, use on every time I mix. It is a serious fixing machine, especially for drummers that can't play and they need a little emphasis on certain frequencies that they aren't producing for whatever reason (usually because they're hitting like a pansy). If the drummer can play, then it's icing on the cake and adds a little tone sculpting without the use of an actual EQ.
Old 18th May 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ancient thread, but how does the Peak Punch function compare to increasing attack on a SPL TD (less/more drastic). Although it's a different tool, I could imagine the 501 to be even more versatile since the Peak has the option of being tuneable.
I want to buy both, but since I've got to prioritize, if the 501 Peak Punch comes close to the SPL attack increasing, I might start off with that one.
📝 Reply