The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrade Audio interface or preamp?
Old 29th May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
Not sure where you got that idea, but to each...
If you drop bucks on a different interface, it is possible that confirmation bias will make it sound better to you. That's something. And it can offer actual value in some situations... placebo effect.
Hear recordings in other studios.
I’m sure it’s not placebo I will let you know when I got the Apollo
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorrok ➡️
I’m sure it’s not placebo
I’m sure from this statement that you have not thoroughly studied the placebo effect and do not respect the power of your own subconscious mind to completely hoodwink your conscious mind. Double blind audio tests can change your audio religion, but maybe you aren’t ready for them yet.
And that isn’t going to be what this thread is about.

You are asking for advice, but completely discounting experienced advice you don’t agree with. So you are about to spend money somewhat unwisely, not because you will buy a bad interface, but because you think that spending $1,500+ on a high quality interface will dramatically improve your recordings by replacing a “sh*t” interface.
OK. It is your money, and you will be buying a very good piece of audio equipment. But your ears will eventually inform your brain that the itch for significant improvement in your recordings has not been scratched. Mic, room and recording techniques are where significant differences are most easily achievable.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman ➡️
I’m sure from this statement that you have not thoroughly studied the placebo effect and do not respect the power of your own subconscious mind to completely hoodwink your conscious mind. Double blind audio tests can change your audio religion, but maybe you aren’t ready for them yet.
And that isn’t going to be what this thread is about.

You are asking for advice, but completely discounting experienced advice you don’t agree with. So you are about to spend money somewhat unwisely, not because you will buy a bad interface, but because you think that spending $1,500+ on a high quality interface will dramatically improve your recordings by replacing a “sh*t” interface.
OK. It is your money, and you will be buying a very good piece of audio equipment. But your ears will eventually inform your brain that the itch for significant improvement in your recordings has not been scratched. Mic, room and recording techniques are where significant differences are most easily achievable.
I asked about what to upgrade Audio interface or preamp? Most of users said audio interface cause my external preamp is great
That’s all I love to hear your feedbacks and hope the interface will be the first step to reach to the next level
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you, do you have a alternative for UAD? (Don’t forget that UAD have also great plugins(
Buy something that can be the “heart” of your studio for a LONG time, if you want to upgrade the interface..
so you don’t have to worry about its quality for the next decade at least. Good quality modern interfaces are pretty good, for 99% of the tasks.

Your preamp is not really that great, but it’s probably decent, and more importantly if it works for you that’s perfect. Before any preamp, I’d invest in room, monitoring and mics (if needed).
So between your two options, a better interface that can be used for years and be the center of your system (scalable) would be my priority.

On the budget the 828ES from Motu is a great performer and offer adat I/O, wordclock I/O, usb and thunderbolt connections plus a network port for expanding within the motu ecosystem (and controlling the unit, which comes with some dap processing, although it is more thought for live use). For the price is unbeatable imho.

Any interface that offers modular protocol cards, like apogee symphony mk2, Metric Halo ULN-8, etc.. will do.

Metric Halo offers GREAT plugins, within their system.. if this fits YOUR workflow I can’t say..

they make interfaces that last a long time and they let you “upgrade” them for a very reasonable sum after 10yrs when an upgrade is avalaible… they build them in that way, so that you can upgrade the hw.. which is very rare.
In fact the uln-8 is about 15 yrs old, but you can upgrade it to the latest mk IV hw version and 3D digital hw.. so if you ask me, it’s quite incredible.

RME makes the best drivers in the industry, and they support their products for very very long.. I’m not an rme “sound” fanboy, but their interfaces are excellent and are very well built.

While there are some 3rd party plugs that are very good to have and might be “needed”..
or they’re nice to have and sounds great..
the ones that comes with Reaper are quite frankly amazing, very low cpu, sounds as good as the other plug eq’s out (unless you’re looking for a specific colour).. some other free ones tops other very expensive ones (like loudmax, if you want a clean transparent limiter).

I suggest you to watch some videos from Dan Worrall and Kenny Gioia and see what these talented guys can achieve with stock plugs, and a few other options without spending 3k on plugs.

I own the soundtoys suite, the mastering fabfilter suite (which I could probably do without, despite being excellent and offering some practical feats) some Softube stuff and few other plugs that I like to use (like the boost rev.b and loudmax, which is free along with the slate bus comps and the LALA from analog obsession which is my fav LA2a plug).
there are a few pieces that is nice to have and might be a good thing to get them.. but I know I don’t “need” the UA ones, despite being excellent.

Depending on your taste and needs you can get a nice channelstrip or few nice hw pieces if you really want, and track everything with that..
I try to use quality stuff, so that the processing I’m doing itb is just what is needed to sit the tracks in the mix..
Or some sound design/sound scaping stuff..
the tracks that are recorded with high quality mics and preamps, usually don’t need much and when they do because the song need something different than I thought when I tracked them (it might happen), they can be “mangled” but they keep their “integrity”.. take eq very well.

In order to HEAR if something is good/better/worse, you need first a GOOD room, and then some GREAT loudspeakers (or a set of monitors that let you hear these differencies and that they let you do the right moves)..
If this means NS10’s or a pair of ATC’s I can’t say.. it’s personal, but the room IS part of what you hear, so I’d invest my money to get the best room that is reasonably possible to get.
The right mic will also be a point, in this regard, sometimes the right mic is an SM7 into a nice preamp and sometimes is a good Neumann condenser or another quality condenser mic (that will work flawlessly, while keeping its value over time).

I hope this helps, somehow..

Cheu
Gear Guru

On occasion, I've been fortunate to record a Pro sounding vocal on...

The original Presonus Audiobox!!
Your Interface is like a Ferrari in comparison.

Now listen to Thy Wisest Pro's, and cast aside thine youthful ignorance!

(Sorry was watching some Shakespeare )
Chris
P.S. Posts by the most honorable and respected Cheu...
Shalt only to follow, upon proper/further Room Treatment!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
Buy something that can be the “heart” of your studio for a LONG time, if you want to upgrade the interface..
so you don’t have to worry about its quality for the next decade at least. Good quality modern interfaces are pretty good, for 99% of the tasks.

Your preamp is not really that great, but it’s probably decent, and more importantly if it works for you that’s perfect. Before any preamp, I’d invest in room, monitoring and mics (if needed).
So between your two options, a better interface that can be used for years and be the center of your system (scalable) would be my priority.

On the budget the 828ES from Motu is a great performer and offer adat I/O, wordclock I/O, usb and thunderbolt connections plus a network port for expanding within the motu ecosystem (and controlling the unit, which comes with some dap processing, although it is more thought for live use). For the price is unbeatable imho.

Any interface that offers modular protocol cards, like apogee symphony mk2, Metric Halo ULN-8, etc.. will do.

Metric Halo offers GREAT plugins, within their system.. if this fits YOUR workflow I can’t say..

they make interfaces that last a long time and they let you “upgrade” them for a very reasonable sum after 10yrs when an upgrade is avalaible… they build them in that way, so that you can upgrade the hw.. which is very rare.
In fact the uln-8 is about 15 yrs old, but you can upgrade it to the latest mk IV hw version and 3D digital hw.. so if you ask me, it’s quite incredible.

RME makes the best drivers in the industry, and they support their products for very very long.. I’m not an rme “sound” fanboy, but their interfaces are excellent and are very well built.

While there are some 3rd party plugs that are very good to have and might be “needed”..
or they’re nice to have and sounds great..
the ones that comes with Reaper are quite frankly amazing, very low cpu, sounds as good as the other plug eq’s out (unless you’re looking for a specific colour).. some other free ones tops other very expensive ones (like loudmax, if you want a clean transparent limiter).

I suggest you to watch some videos from Dan Worrall and Kenny Gioia and see what these talented guys can achieve with stock plugs, and a few other options without spending 3k on plugs.

I own the soundtoys suite, the mastering fabfilter suite (which I could probably do without, despite being excellent and offering some practical feats) some Softube stuff and few other plugs that I like to use (like the boost rev.b and loudmax, which is free along with the slate bus comps and the LALA from analog obsession which is my fav LA2a plug).
there are a few pieces that is nice to have and might be a good thing to get them.. but I know I don’t “need” the UA ones, despite being excellent.

Depending on your taste and needs you can get a nice channelstrip or few nice hw pieces if you really want, and track everything with that..
I try to use quality stuff, so that the processing I’m doing itb is just what is needed to sit the tracks in the mix..
Or some sound design/sound scaping stuff..
the tracks that are recorded with high quality mics and preamps, usually don’t need much and when they do because the song need something different than I thought when I tracked them (it might happen), they can be “mangled” but they keep their “integrity”.. take eq very well.

In order to HEAR if something is good/better/worse, you need first a GOOD room, and then some GREAT loudspeakers (or a set of monitors that let you hear these differencies and that they let you do the right moves)..
If this means NS10’s or a pair of ATC’s I can’t say.. it’s personal, but the room IS part of what you hear, so I’d invest my money to get the best room that is reasonably possible to get.
The right mic will also be a point, in this regard, sometimes the right mic is an SM7 into a nice preamp and sometimes is a good Neumann condenser or another quality condenser mic (that will work flawlessly, while keeping its value over time).

I hope this helps, somehow..

Cheu
Thank you, Kenny Gioia is one of the best YouTuber for mixing I saw most of his videos
I don’t have a lot of 3rd plugins (waves, fab filter and sound toys) I use built in logic plugins and some of Reaper
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Hear recordings in other studios.
I’m sure it’s not placebo I will let you know when I got the Apollo
the whole point of placebo is that you cannot be sure it's not placebo unless you blindfold test

Placebo is not some wavy lines shimmering ghostly effect. The room doesn't spin around and there is no harp music. It doesn't feel any different. Placebo sounds exactly like it's "real".

I wonder why you even started this thread, since you know all the answers already and spend all your posts just arguing with the people who are giving you the best advice. The people who tell you what you want to hear are not always your "friends", the people who tell you a hard truth are not always your "enemies".

Your order of putting the mic last is exactly backwards. And it's not like you weren't warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman
Mic, room and recording techniques are where significant differences are most easily achievable.
QFT This is where your bang for the buck comes from. Too bad you will have to waste your bucks to (maybe!) learn that.
Gear Guru

Word!
(Drops mic)

Back in the day...
Our fun was asking if Prince Albert was In a can.

Now it's starting a thread for advice, then rebelling.
Ala...
Boy gets Pro advice.
Boy loses Pro advice.
Boy gets Pro advice back (after suitable wallet drain)

Chris
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
the whole point of placebo is that you cannot be sure it's not placebo unless you blindfold test

Placebo is not some wavy lines shimmering ghostly effect. The room doesn't spin around and there is no harp music. It doesn't feel any different. Placebo sounds exactly like it's "real".

I wonder why you even started this thread, since you know all the answers already and spend all your posts just arguing with the people who are giving you the best advice. The people who tell you what you want to hear are not always your "friends", the people who tell you a hard truth are not always your "enemies".

Your order of putting the mic last is exactly backwards. And it's not like you weren't warned.

QFT This is where your bang for the buck comes from. Too bad you will have to waste your bucks to (maybe!) learn that.
You’re not my enemies or friends, you’re just a musician/music producer with experience so I just asked upgrade to Apollo X6 or buy SPX 1073 and everyone said Apollo X6 that’s all. I’m not arguing I didn’t know what to upgrade my interface or preamp and you helped me so thanks!
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Word!
(Drops mic)

Back in the day...
Our fun was asking if Prince Albert was In a can.

Now it's starting a thread for advice, then rebelling.
Ala...
Boy gets Pro advice.
Boy loses Pro advice.
Boy gets Pro advice back (after suitable wallet drain)

Chris
It's one of the two faces of GS. The other one is people getting into unnecessarily heated flame wars that devolve into literal insults over whether or not a popular piece of gear is actually usable.
Old 29th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dear @ aviorrock ,

You asked a specific question (upgrade preamp or interface?), but your real question seems to be "How do I make better recordings?" The answer is not "By spending $2.5k on a new interface." There's nothing wrong with the Apollo unit you're considering but, if your goal is to "reach the next level", then you might as well just light the cash on fire and post a video of it on YouTube. I will give you some better equipment advice in a moment, but my top suggestions have nothing to do with rack gear. They all start with "Pay attention!".
  • Pay attention to mic placement
    Your guitar sounds boxy and thumpy because you've put the mic too close and aimed it wrongly. People have been getting good acoustic guitar sounds with SM 81's for something like 40 years now, and there's no reason why you can't too, if you spend enough time experimenting. Yes, you can get some ideas from online videos, but what they don't show is the hours of experimentation spent understanding what would work best for that particular instrument, played by that player on that song in that room. The difference between "decent" and "great" is sometimes six inches and ten degrees azimuth. Sometimes it takes dozens of minor changes to find that spot. Other times, you need to try a totally different approach like aiming over the player's shoulder. It can be painstaking, annoying work which is why people used to hire recording engineers to do it.
  • Pay attention to acoustics
    Your room is not as good as you think it is. You've compensated by using a very close mic placement, but it's not flattering. You need to get the acoustics tamed to the point that you can mic a guitar from three or four feet away without it sounding like dreck. If you can't modify the room, then use gobo's to create a more neutral space around the player. Installing acoustic treatment takes time and never feels as exciting as buying a new piece or gear and having it land on your doorstep three days later, but you'll thank yourself later. The payoff for doing it is that finding an optimal mic placement will become a lot easier and the best you can do will be significantly better.
  • Pay attention to your playing
    That clip you posted had many lapses of playing technique. Buying better gear will only make that more obvious. Yes, you can punch in or edit to fix things, but that gets very tedious in a hurry. The alternative is to upgrade your fingers. How do you do that? By booking a semester or two of lessons with a fingerstyle classical guitar instructor and working hard at playing precisely with musical intent. You may never play that classical repertoire in public, but what you do play will be much better as a result.

OK, on to the gear!

When I see someone whose mic collection is straight out of a 1980's project studio, I'm inclined to cut them some slack because they probably don't have the money for better stuff. You've got no excuse mate! You're thinking about dropping $2.5k on a bloody interface when your best vocal mic is a $200 generic Chinese factory mic? Not only are you putting the card before the horse, but your horse is really a donkey!

You can probably get more out of that SM 81 with a different mic preamp, but replacing a fake Neve with a real one isn't taking you in the right direction, sonically. How about a Millennia HV-35P? That will lift the veil! Just don't plug that MXL mic into it, or you'll end up throwing one of them out the window. (Can I vote?)

David
Gear Guru

David quit confusing him with great advice!

Wow. What a post. I hope "Dr. Rick" doesn't send you the bill, for that epic prescription.
Chris
Old 29th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's just so easy to blame your current gear and think that some equipment purchase is going be a substantial upgrade to your sound.

The player, the instrument, the room, mic and mic placement are pretty huge factors while a different micpreamp or interface has a fairly small effect on things in comparison.

David's post is detailed and spot on, lots of other good info from many others as well.

Kenny's is interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
Not sure where you got that idea, but to each...
If you drop bucks on a different interface, it is possible that confirmation bias will make it sound better to you. That's something. And it can offer actual value in some situations... placebo effect.
Along these lines I think one needs to not only understand the gear one has but to believe in it. If you are convinced your gear is no good then that will have an effect on how you use it and what you get out of it.

If you have the best gear possible and you manage to get a lousy sound then you naturally question your techniques and practices.

If you have less than the absolute best then it's easy to blame the gear rather than doing a proper deep dive of what is really the cause of the problem(s).
Old 29th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Your mics and room are worse than your interface by a wide margin. Upgrading makes no sense.

Noise with condenser mics comes from the mic’s self-noise and the room (many people confuse room ambience with hiss). Preamps usually don’t add noise unless you’re using a dynamic model with a cheap or valve preamp. Also, unless you’re doing classical or whispering solo vocals, mic/preamp hiss honestly isn’t high enough unless you overcompress.

You don’t need to upgrade, but if you have money to burn, upgrade your mics.
Old 30th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You guys suck. You all know full and well he’d go platinum if he just had that one thing.
Old 30th May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Talent?
(Really kidding here OP )
Chris
Gear Guru

OK I re-listend to the OP's clip.
Sounds like a talented guitar student, but not professional level.

Now where's the vocal(s)?

OP since you've got effectively a GS high level "Brain Trust" on this thread...

Now take advantage of it!

Otherwise suffer the slings and arrows of my dreaded puns.

And be relegated to the Purgatory of the Apollo Theatre Amateur Night forever.

Or at least "Big Brother" "Special Recording Studio Edition".
Chris
Old 30th May 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I see OP has gotten a few thousand dollars worth of pro-level advice here for free.
OP, an interface is unlikely to change the sound you are capturing in a meaningful way. Re-read David Rick's post, and then the rest of the thread if/when you want to improve your recordings.

that said..
upgrading my own interface had easily the most substantial, positive impact on my workflow of any studio purchase I've made. For me, it was all about improving workflow & eliminating technical pain points. I had a modded, glitchy Digi002r with noisy pots and insufficient i/o. It also perpetually generated strange noises and exhibited input level fluctuations and endless crashes. Moving to an RME UFX+ eliminated driver issues and opened up so many opportunities to reclaim my studio time and and get to the music making. I immediately regretted not upgrading sooner. My first patchbay made me feel the same way actually.

I'm only raising this because I keep seeing OP describe the UR242 as "s**t" but I honestly have no idea why they think that.

Did a friend or stranger on the internet tell them it's s**t? Does it crash in the middle of performances? Does it make strange noises or fail in some functionally critical way? Is it short on mic pres or i/o? If so, absolutely replace it with something that meets your needs and gives you your time back.

.. but if I'm reading the OP correctly, it seems, as most have surmised here, that there is some belief that an Apollo will provide a "pro level" in sound quality. If so, this thread is full of excellent advice, and it seems the unit is already ordered anyways..

I really like the observation above about how spending money on our hobbies can make us happier, more productive people. Think of OPs well being!

For myself, I'd at least go for more mic ins if I were upgrading.
Cheers~
I was in a similar situation to the OP a few years ago (although I did not have a decent external pre at the time) and I upgraded to an Apollo x4. I agree doing the room first and then some better mics might have gotten me better results earlier. However, an interface can be a one and done kind of thing. It can take a good while to do a room (over a year in my case), and it can even take a while to learn which mics you want. It probably helped me to be confident in my interface so I could turn my full attention to the other things. Placebo effect.... possibly. But I felt like my recording took a bit leap forward when I went to the Apollo from the cheap Focusrite
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack ➡️
Your mics and room are worse than your interface by a wide margin. Upgrading makes no sense.

Noise with condenser mics comes from the mic’s self-noise and the room (many people confuse room ambience with hiss). Preamps usually don’t add noise unless you’re using a dynamic model with a cheap or valve preamp. Also, unless you’re doing classical or whispering solo vocals, mic/preamp hiss honestly isn’t high enough unless you overcompress.

You don’t need to upgrade, but if you have money to burn, upgrade your mics.
Based on what did you determine that my room is not good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 ➡️
I was in a similar situation to the OP a few years ago (although I did not have a decent external pre at the time) and I upgraded to an Apollo x4. I agree doing the room first and then some better mics might have gotten me better results earlier. However, an interface can be a one and done kind of thing. It can take a good while to do a room (over a year in my case), and it can even take a while to learn which mics you want. It probably helped me to be confident in my interface so I could turn my full attention to the other things. Placebo effect.... possibly. But I felt like my recording took a bit leap forward when I went to the Apollo from the cheap Focusrite
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick ➡️
Dear @ aviorrock ,

You asked a specific question (upgrade preamp or interface?), but your real question seems to be "How do I make better recordings?" The answer is not "By spending $2.5k on a new interface." There's nothing wrong with the Apollo unit you're considering but, if your goal is to "reach the next level", then you might as well just light the cash on fire and post a video of it on YouTube. I will give you some better equipment advice in a moment, but my top suggestions have nothing to do with rack gear. They all start with "Pay attention!".
  • Pay attention to mic placement
    Your guitar sounds boxy and thumpy because you've put the mic too close and aimed it wrongly. People have been getting good acoustic guitar sounds with SM 81's for something like 40 years now, and there's no reason why you can't too, if you spend enough time experimenting. Yes, you can get some ideas from online videos, but what they don't show is the hours of experimentation spent understanding what would work best for that particular instrument, played by that player on that song in that room. The difference between "decent" and "great" is sometimes six inches and ten degrees azimuth. Sometimes it takes dozens of minor changes to find that spot. Other times, you need to try a totally different approach like aiming over the player's shoulder. It can be painstaking, annoying work which is why people used to hire recording engineers to do it.
  • Pay attention to acoustics
    Your room is not as good as you think it is. You've compensated by using a very close mic placement, but it's not flattering. You need to get the acoustics tamed to the point that you can mic a guitar from three or four feet away without it sounding like dreck. If you can't modify the room, then use gobo's to create a more neutral space around the player. Installing acoustic treatment takes time and never feels as exciting as buying a new piece or gear and having it land on your doorstep three days later, but you'll thank yourself later. The payoff for doing it is that finding an optimal mic placement will become a lot easier and the best you can do will be significantly better.
  • Pay attention to your playing
    That clip you posted had many lapses of playing technique. Buying better gear will only make that more obvious. Yes, you can punch in or edit to fix things, but that gets very tedious in a hurry. The alternative is to upgrade your fingers. How do you do that? By booking a semester or two of lessons with a fingerstyle classical guitar instructor and working hard at playing precisely with musical intent. You may never play that classical repertoire in public, but what you do play will be much better as a result.

OK, on to the gear!

When I see someone whose mic collection is straight out of a 1980's project studio, I'm inclined to cut them some slack because they probably don't have the money for better stuff. You've got no excuse mate! You're thinking about dropping $2.5k on a bloody interface when your best vocal mic is a $200 generic Chinese factory mic? Not only are you putting the card before the horse, but your horse is really a donkey!

You can probably get more out of that SM 81 with a different mic preamp, but replacing a fake Neve with a real one isn't taking you in the right direction, sonically. How about a Millennia HV-35P? That will lift the veil! Just don't plug that MXL mic into it, or you'll end up throwing one of them out the window. (Can I vote?)

David
Thank you David great pay attention!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle ➡️
I had a modded, glitchy Digi002r with noisy pots and insufficient i/o. It also perpetually generated strange noises and exhibited input level fluctuations and endless crashes.
Thanks for raising this consideration. If the OP was replacing a glitchy, noisy, barely functional interface, I expect that the advice here would be completely different. A fully functional new interface would solve many problems with no downside. And whether the OP wanted to spend $150 or $1,600, his decision might generate some discussion and advice, but not like this thread has.
And if the current glitchy interface interferes with your workflow, only an idiot would tell you to buy a better mic instead of a new interface.
Old 31st May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for raising this consideration. If the OP was replacing a glitchy, noisy, barely functional interface, I expect that the advice here would be completely different. A fully functional new interface would solve many problems with no downside. And whether the OP wanted to spend $150 or $1,600, his decision might generate some discussion and advice, but not like this thread has.
And if the current glitchy interface interferes with your workflow, only an idiot would tell you to buy a better mic instead of a new interface.
Thanks @ Bushman !

What I find interesting is that 50 posts into this thread, I still have no idea what's wrong with that UR242.

We may never know.

Hey OP, since you've got your new Apollo on it's way, post the steinberg unit in the "more free stuff" thread for good karma if you ain't gonna sell it. Then we can continue this thread with the new owner..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
What I find interesting is that 50 posts into this thread, I still have no idea what's wrong with that UR242.

We may never know.

Hey OP, since you've got your new Apollo on it's way, post the steinberg unit in the "more free stuff" thread for good karma if you ain't gonna sell it. Then we can continue this thread with the new owner..
UR242 is only a bit over $200 so it can't be good.

And also the very common "I'm not happy with the sounds I'm recording so the problem must be some piece of gear I'm using."
Gear Guru

That Yamaha D-Pre is actually pretty nice.

Even on my anemic Audiobox, if the mic is hot enough it's fine.

The huge 80's hit "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of These"?
Recorded on a Teac 80-8!
Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

We may never know.

And also the very common "I'm not happy with the sounds I'm recording so the problem must be some piece of gear I'm using."

Last edited by JLast; 31st May 2022 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Double post
Old 31st May 2022
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I have owned three Steinberg interfaces, and I’m still using two of them. If someone else (the OP for example) starts with the factually unsupported opinion that Steinberg interfaces are sh*t, then to them anyone, including myself, who uses or (god forbid) actually likes them will be assumed by those self-appointed gear snobs to be an an audio idiot with tin ears.
I have no hesitancy about using Steinberg interfaces for AD or DA conversion. I have used the Steinberg interface preamps and have not had any reservations about their quality. I do often use various outboard preamps, in part because I have them, and also because I am in the habit of using certain pres for certain sources. I’d probably use those outboard preamps about as much if I owned the most hazza-gazza, snob-approved interfaces on the planet.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thank you, finally a good advice! Yeah my problem is the audio interface and I will buy a new one in 500$ 1500$ 5000& I don’t know and I don’t care I just want to fix the problem in my chain that’s all.

Quote:

Even on my anemic Audiobox, if the mic is hot enough it's fine.

The huge 80's hit "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of These"?
Recorded on a Teac 80-8!
Chris
Are u kidding me? Did you try the Yamaha D-pre? I buy a external preamp (WA273) just because the “low level” Yamaha preamp, the gain is so low, I need to increase the gain knob to 80% and also add 7db in dspMix( Steinberg UR software) and the peak of the vocals is reach to -18dbfs with a lot of noises.
The WA273 fixed it so quickly and clean and also add the option to use dynamic mic.
I’ve never see a preamp like the Yamaha D-pre you can also read about UR44 with the same problem, no gain so you need to adjust the knob to 70-100% and everything now sounds noisy
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/ur44-...ut-gain/655824
Quote:
I have owned three Steinberg interfaces, and I’m still using two of them. If someone else (the OP for example) starts with the factually unsupported opinion that Steinberg interfaces are sh*t, then to them anyone, including myself, who uses or (god forbid) actually likes them will be assumed by those self-appointed gear snobs to be an an audio idiot with tin ears.
I have no hesitancy about using Steinberg interfaces for AD or DA conversion. I have used the Steinberg interface preamps and have not had any reservations about their quality. I do often use various outboard preamps, in part because I have them, and also because I am in the habit of using certain pres for certain sources. I’d probably use those outboard preamps about as much if I owned the most hazza-gazza, snob-approved interfaces on the planet.
I don’t know why everyone attacks me, I just said my experience with UR242 if you like the Steinberg and it’s works for you so all good! Keep working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️

Yeah! You’re right! that’s the problem if the UR242 was 1500$ everything was WOW!
You all said a “suggestion” without experiences with my UR242 I’m using it about 4 years so yeah I know where the problem in my chain and it’s the audio interface
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thank you
Why are you thanking me? I wasn’t writing to you or about you.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I really like the D-Pres, in the low end interfaces they're not the quietest in the world (but not noisy by 70s/80s standards) - nor do they have they greatest amount of gain but they still sound nice. I had a UR44 years ago and liked it a lot.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend ➡️
Yes, I really like the D-Pres, in the low end interfaces they're not the quietest in the world (but not noisy by 70s/80s standards) - nor do they have they greatest amount of gain but they still sound nice. I had a UR44 years ago and liked it a lot.
Weird most of people have the same problem like me but if it’s works for you it’s great!
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/ur44-...my-ur22/647174

Quote:
Why are you thanking me? I wasn’t writing to you or about you.
That’s what you think I know the truth about my chain
📝 Reply