The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need help with my microphone collection. $20k left to spend!
Old 1st March 2022
Gear Head

Need help with my microphone collection. $20k left to spend!

Hi there,
I'm trying to consolidate my microphone collection and I need a bit of help deciding what to KEEP, what to SELL and what else to BUY with a budget of around $20k.
Just to make sure we are on the same page, I currently record and mix for bands and producers in my project studio and in various live venues. The goal is to finish putting together an extensive and functional mic collection to satisfy all my clients’ recording needs.
What I work on spans from rock/metal bands to jazz/classical ensembles to hip hop/pop artists etc...
My goal is to have a good variety of high-quality microphones where I can have a few different options per instruments and enough pieces to record large drum kits, 5 to 10 pieces acoustic bands and small to medium classical ensembles.

I prepared two lists: one with the mics I own and wish to have and one with the instruments I usually record.
Please help me decide and let’s keep this strictly about microphones.

My Microphone Collection
AEA R84
Audix D6
AKG D12vr
AKG D112
AKG 414 XII (2x)
AKG 414 XLS (2x)
Beyerdynamic M88
Beyerdynamic M201
Coles 4038 (X2)
Chandler TG Microphone
Electro-Voice RE20
Neumann M149
Neumann U87ai
Neumann KM184 (2x)
Neumann KM84
Neumann TLM193
Neumann U89i (2x)
Peluso 2247 SE
Royer R10 (2x)
Royer R121
Sennheiser Md421 (5x)
Sennheiser Md441 (2x)
Sennheiser Mkh40
Shure Beta52a
Shure SM81 (2x)
Shure SM58 (10x)
Shure SM57 (4x)
Shure KSM137 (4x)
Shure Beta58 (2x)
Shure Beta57 (2x)
Schoeps Cmc6 Mk4 (2x)
Telefunken TF 51 (2x)

Wish List
Telefunken ELA M 251
Chandler REDD
Sony C-800
Beyerdynamic M160 (2x)
Neumann U67
Neumann Fet47
Neumann Tlm170 (2x)
Neumann U87
More KM84s
More Royer R121
More AEA R84

Instruments That I Usually Record
Kick In
Kick Out
Snare Top
Snare Bottom
Hi Hat
Toms
Ride
Overheads
Bass Guitar Cabs
Lead Vocal
Large Choirs
Grand Piano
Electric Guitar Cabs
Acoustic Guitars
Flute
Clarinet
Sax
Trumpet
Trombone
Violin
Viola
Cello
Basso
Harp
Percussions
Room Natural Reverb
Old 2nd March 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PadanoPro ➡️
Hi there,
I'm trying to consolidate my microphone collection and I need a bit of help deciding what to KEEP, what to SELL and what else to BUY.
I'm left with around $20k and I feel like I'm still missing something, or I have stuff I don’t really need.
Just to make sure we are on the same page, I currently record and mix for bands and producers in my project studio and in various live venues. The goal is to finish putting together an extensive and functional mic collection to satisfy all my clients’ recording needs.
What I'm planning to record goes from rock/metal bands to jazz/classical ensembles to hip hop/pop artists etc...
My goal is to have a good variety of high-quality microphones where I can have a few different options per instruments and enough pieces to record large drum kits, 5 to 10 pieces acoustic bands and small to medium classical ensembles.

I prepared two lists: one with the mics I own and wish and one with the instruments I usually record.

Microphone Collection
AEA R84
Audix D6
AKG D12vr
AKG D112
AKG 414 XII (2x)
AKG 414 XLS (2x)
Beyerdynamic M88
Beyerdynamic M201
Coles 4038 (X2)
Chandler TG Microphone
Electro-Voice RE20
Neumann M149
Neumann U87ai
Neumann KM184 (2x)
Neumann KM84
Neumann TLM193
Neumann U89i (2x)
Peluso 2247 SE
Royer R10 (X2)
Royer R121
Sennheiser Md421 (5x)
Sennheiser Md441 (2x)
Sennheiser Mkh40
Shure Beta52a
Shure SM81 (2x)
Shure SM58 (10x)
Shure SM57 (4x)
Shure KSM137 (4x)
Shure Beta58 (2x)
Shure Beta57 (2x)
Schoeps Cmc6 Mk4 (2x)
Telefunken TF 51 (2x)

Wish List
Telefunken ELA M 251
Chandler REDD
Sony C-800
Beyerdynamic M160 (2x)
Neumann U67
Neumann Fet47
Neumann Tlm170 (2x)
More KM84s
More Royer R121

Kick In
Kick Out
Snare Top
Snare Bottom
Hi Hat
Toms
Ride
Overheads
Bass Guitar Cabs
Lead Vocal
Large Choirs
Grand Piano
Electric Guitar Cabs
Acoustic Guitars
Flute
Clarinet
Sax
Trumpet
Trombone
Violin
Viola
Cello
Basso
Harp
Percussions
Room Natural Reverb
Is this another Recording school homework project ?
Old 2nd March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric L Nielsen ➡️
Is this another Recording school homework project ?
No it’s a serious question, I really want other people’s opinions on the matter.
Old 2nd March 2022
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Hi there,
I'm trying to consolidate my microphone collection and I need a bit of help deciding what to KEEP, what to SELL and what else to BUY with a budget of around $20k.
What I work on spans from rock/metal bands to jazz/classical ensembles to hip hop/pop artists etc...

I prepared two lists: one with the mics I own and wish to have and one with the instruments I usually record.

Microphone Collection
AEA R84
Audix D6
AKG D12vr
AKG D112
AKG 414 XII (2x)
AKG 414 XLS (2x)
Beyerdynamic M88
Beyerdynamic M201
Coles 4038 (X2)
Chandler TG Microphone
Electro-Voice RE20
Neumann M149
Neumann U87ai
Neumann KM184 (2x)
Neumann KM84
Neumann TLM193
Neumann U89i (2x)
Peluso 2247 SE
Royer R10 (2x)
Royer R121
Sennheiser Md421 (5x)
Sennheiser Md441 (2x)
Sennheiser Mkh40
Shure Beta52a
Shure SM81 (2x)
Shure SM58 (10x)
Shure SM57 (4x)
Shure KSM137 (4x)
Shure Beta58 (2x)
Shure Beta57 (2x)
Schoeps Cmc6 Mk4 (2x)
Telefunken TF 51 (2x)

Wish List
Telefunken ELA M 251
Chandler REDD
Sony C-800
Beyerdynamic M160 (2x)
Neumann U67
Neumann Fet47
Neumann Tlm170 (2x)
More KM84s
More Royer R121
More AEA R84

Kick In
Kick Out
Snare Top
Snare Bottom
Hi Hat
Toms
Ride
Overheads
Bass Guitar Cabs
Lead Vocal
Large Choirs
Grand Piano
Electric Guitar Cabs
Acoustic Guitars
Flute
Clarinet
Sax
Trumpet
Trombone
Violin
Viola
Cello
Basso
Harp
Percussions
Room Natural Reverb
This is easy.
Buy 2 of everything.
Done.
Old 2nd March 2022
Lives for gear

You should keep your:

- Shure SM57
- Neumann TLM102
- Sennheiser MD421
- AKG C414B ULS

And you should buy:

- Royer 121 ribbon microphone
- A pair of Schoeps MK41 cardioid microphones
- A pair of DPA 4060 omnidirectional microphones

Jonathan Black.

My Setup: DAW: Ableton Live, Keyboard: M-Audio Oxygen Pro, Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z, Vocal Removal/Isolation: UnMixIt, Audio-to-MIDI: Digital-Ear, Sample Editor: Audacity
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years

rent the mics you're not familiar with to find out whether they are a useful addition to your collection...

...but no one in the world can tell you wether you'll like them and whether you'll find their prices justfied.
Old 2nd March 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm going food shopping and I already have some food but I would like to get some more.

I like to eat.

I already have:

Milk

Eggs

Bread

Frozen chicken

Some dark colored lump in a plastic container in the back of the fridge

I like:

Ice cream

Roast beef

Long walks on the beach

Dictators not to invade my country
Old 2nd March 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's a great list.

A pair of Schoeps with the MK5 capsule would give you cardioid/omni switchable. Add that to your existing Mk4 Schoeps, and you now have the ability to record classical ensembles with various combinations of omni and cardioid. I don't think any classical recordist is going to complain when you hand them a pair of mk4 and a pair of mk5 mics and tell them to have fun. You can get the MK5 stereo pair in a beautiful boxed set:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tereo_Set.html

Earthworks SR30 are great and are different than what you already have. Maybe two of those.

You could use another flagship vocal mic. The C800g is a show-stopper to have for rap/r&p/pop. Other options would be a Manley Reference Cardioid or a U67. All three of those would take up the entire $20k budget. But Manley + U67 or C800G + Manley or only one of the three would leave room to buy the Schoeps and Earthworks. Since you already have a zillion Neumann mics, C800G + Manley Reference would provide more contrast.

This is $19,800:
Schoeps CMC6 with MK5 capsule (2) $4000
Earthworks SR30 (2) $1800
Sony C800G (1) $10,700
Manley Reference Cardioid (1) $3300

Brass instruments work very well with AEA-style mics. But you already have one of those and a zillion Neumanns. So I think you probably have brass covered with your existing Godzilla mic collection. So I like the list I put together above.

Regarding what to sell: I would buy the new mics, keep the existing collection, and then watch over two years regarding what you use. Stuff that never/seldom gets used in two years can be selectively sold at that point.

Last edited by gearstudent; 2nd March 2022 at 04:13 PM..
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️

rent the mics you're not familiar with to find out whether they are a useful addition to your collection...

...but no one in the world can tell you wether you'll like them and whether you'll find their prices justfied.
Thanks for your answer. Renting its also a good option, I did that in the past with very expensive vintage mics like U47s and C12s when requested.

I know nobody can really decide for me, but I’m just trying to better understand current industry standards and see what other people would do with my collection and that kind of money.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent ➡️
It's a great list.

A pair of Schoeps with the MK5 capsule would give you cardioid/omni switchable. Add that to your existing Mk4 Schoeps, and you now have the ability to record classical ensembles with various combinations of omni and cardioid. I don't think any classical recordist is going to complain when you hand them a pair of mk4 and a pair of mk5 mics and tell them to have fun. You can get the MK5 stereo pair in a beautiful boxed set:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tereo_Set.html

Earthworks SR30 are great and are different than what you already have. Maybe two of those.

You could use another flagship vocal mic. The C800g is a show-stopper to have for rap/r&p/pop. Other options would be a Manley Reference Cardioid or a U67. All three of those would take up the entire $20k budget. But Manley + U67 or C800G + Manley or only one of the three would leave room to buy the Schoeps and Earthworks. Since you already have a zillion Neumann mics, C800G + Manley Reference would provide more contrast.

This is $19,800:
Schoeps CMC6 with MK5 capsule (2) $4000
Earthworks SR30 (2) $1800
Sony C800G (1) $10,700
Manley Reference Cardioid (1) $3300

Brass instruments work very well with AEA-style mics. But you already have one of those and a zillion Neumanns. So I think you probably have brass covered with your existing Godzilla mic collection. So I like the list I put together above.

Regarding what to sell: I would buy the new mics, keep the existing collection, and then watch over two years regarding what you use. Stuff that never/seldom gets used in two years can be selectively sold at that point.

This is a great answer, thanks!
Yes I do have lots of Neumann microphones and I like the alternatives you suggested in order to get more contrast. The C-800 can definitely be very attractive for prospective clients.
I kind of have a feeling that I should still squeeze some extra r84, r121 or a couple TLM170 for bigger brass ensemble etc..

Also good call about the two year window for things that almost never gets used.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for your answer. Renting its also a good option, I did that in the past with very expensive vintage mics like U47s and C12s when requested.

I know nobody can really decide for me, but I’m just trying to better understand current industry standards and see what other people would do with my collection and that kind of money.
seems like a reasonable approach - here's my take:

i sold about a dozen of vintage mics a few years ago (except for a u67 which i kept mainly out of nostalgia/personal memory) and from that money, i bought
- an armada of modern mics
- a huge (digital) broadcast desk
- a smallish line array
much more fun, highly productive, very reliable, more flexible in use etc.
Gear Head

Quote:
seems like a reasonable approach - here's my take:

i sold about a dozen of vintage mics a few years ago (except for a u67 which i kept mainly out of nostalgia/personal memory) and from that money, i bought
- an armada of modern mics
- a huge (digital) broadcast desk
- a smallish line array
much more fun, highly productive, very reliable, more flexible in use etc.
Interesting to hear that. I’m really hesitant in dropping so much money for very old vintage mics knowing they need constant care and might not be the best choice for modern productions anyway.
Old 2nd March 2022
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
If the OP is who he says he is and has what he says he has, why would he suddenly start posting here asking for advice? I’d love to see a real name and a picture of this person in his studio with any large percentage of that mic list.
Excuse my agnosticism.
Old 2nd March 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The OP has only six posts, five of which are this thread, the other another “which 1176” to buy.

It reeks of marketing shill, a fake poster trying to get people to discuss mics so the sponsor can begin dropping their product in the threads - I’ve seen it a million times around here.
Old 2nd March 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All of a sudden we have to show our Engineer License to have a conversation here? Some of y’all are grumpy this morning!

I like your collection and it seems like we enjoy a lot of similar mics. I too would love to grab one of the Chandler REDD mics and a second TG at some point. The TG is so modern and versatile, I bet a pair of them would cover a lot of fun ground.

I really like my AEA R88. I’ve had a pair of R84’s and the R88 at the same time, thinking I would need two of the R84’s as well. I ended up selling the R84’s, so I would suggesting keeping the one you have and grabbing the R88 as well.

Have you considered some cheaper and uniquely voiced newer mics, or do you want to lean on more vintage/classic designs for some reason (I could care less about “why” you feel that way, just for the sake of keeping this on topic). For instance, I sold a few Neumanns and other boutique clone mics when I started buying Vanguard mics. I just like the Vanguards WAY better, and they were ridiculously cheap in comparison. I’m not saying that will work for you, but worth considering some other newer companies.

I would consider at least one vintage RCA ribbon with your budget. I love my old PB-90, it didn’t cost me a whole lot either. With what you buy and what you plan on recording, I think it would be a good investment.

I don’t know where you’re located, but a trip to a store like Vintage King or something would probably do you good. You’ve got more than enough crap to do what you need to do. Start honing in on a few nice things that you know you’ll really like. Take some time to try a few new things as well and see what happens.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Interesting to hear that. I’m really hesitant in dropping so much money for very old vintage mics knowing they need constant care and might not be the best choice for modern productions anyway.
if in good shape/well maintained/revamped, vintage mics don't need constant care and the tubes most likely will outlive you...

...but you have to constantly keep an eye on them and you'll want a very good insurance - my main reason for letting them go (i could buy them when they were still relatively affordable in the early 80's) was that i couldn't get bothered (any longer) using various psu's for location recording or even live mixing and that i don't necessarily prefer tube mics on many instruments; besides, i find that tube preamps are way more flexible as how hard i drive the tube then doesn't depend on how much air the artist is moving in front of the mic but i can dial it in on my side of the window!

imo tube mics are overrated (and some specific models even highly overrated)...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 ➡️
It reeks of marketing shill, a fake poster trying to get people to discuss mics so the sponsor can begin dropping their product in the threads - I’ve seen it a million times around here.
you'll know that this has happened by the time when casey, cohler, jim or skip have invaded this thread...

p.s. someone tell casey that i bought back an m7 this week, no kidding! ;-)
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➡️
All of a sudden we have to show our Engineer License to have a conversation here? Some of y’all are grumpy this morning!
I don’t have to be grumpy to be skeptical of unknown people ringing the doorbell, claiming to be wealthy and wanting “to have a conversation”. My reaction is a legitimate part of conversation in threads with this kind of OP. Don’t you remember the homeless guy wanting to discuss buying a real 800?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman ➡️
I don’t have to be grumpy to be skeptical of unknown people ringing the doorbell, claiming to be wealthy and wanting “to have a conversation”. My reaction is a legitimate part of conversation in threads with this kind of OP. Don’t you remember the homeless guy wanting to discuss buying a real 800?
Ok, if we’re going to do the analogy thing… This isn’t your home, it’s not even your thread. If anything, this forum is a hotel. If this dude wants to have a bunch of people back to his room for drinks and talk about microphones, cool. You don’t have to go. I’m a big boy, I’ll make sure he doesn’t try and take advantage of me!

I really don’t care if this guy is telling the truth or what his motives are. If anything, maybe some of the discussions in here will help someone else out. If we’re going to be skeptical of every single post in here from the start from every new person, it’s going to get pretty boring. If you think there’s some mischievous tomfoolery amok, flag it and let the admins deal with it.

No offense here, we’ve had great discussions in other threads and I like what you have to say. I just don’t get what the deal is here? (And no, I don’t remember the homeless guy thread , got a link?)
Gear Head

Quote:
wowowow everybody calm down!
I guess Bushman has a point, I never really did introduced myself and it's true that there are lots of trolls around.
Sooo.. since you asked...

My name is Andrea Rastelli, I moved to Los Angeles 10 years ago from Milan Italy where, after finishing high school, I graduated from SAE College and worked for years in music and post productions studios and under Warner Music Italy for several projects.
Since I moved to California I worked a lot as live audio engineer for bands and events as well as still having some sort of home studio for smaller projects. (moving wasn't easy and rent was really expensive!)
Since then I was able to open my own AV, Sound and Lighting productions company and now I finally have the opportunity to build a studio from the ground up and I'm very excited about it.

Not to brag but I do have lots of experience and I probably know already the answer to my own questions about what mic to use in any given situation, but it's always nice to hear other people's opinion that sometimes are real eye opener.

I included pictures and links to my company, Instagram, an interview I did for VoyageLA, me eating pasta with Steve Aoki as well as my old studios setup and the start of the new studio project. I also promise you I'll post a nice picture of all the mics I own nicely lined up. Hope you satisfied!

http://www.padanoproductions.com

http://voyagela.com/interview/meet-a...beverly-hills/

[email protected]

Now lets go back discussing microphones.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_1432.jpg   Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_2147.jpg   Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_2549.jpg   Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_3093.jpg   Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_3359.jpg  

Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_3360.jpg   Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_3361.jpg   Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_9025.jpg   Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_9558.jpg   Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_4160.jpg  

Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_4170.jpg   Need help with my microphone collection. k left to spend!-img_8894.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hope you satisfied!
You should probably add one more cheap microphone to your list so you can drop it.

Gear Head

Quote:
if in good shape/well maintained/revamped, vintage mics don't need constant care and the tubes most likely will outlive you...

...but you have to constantly keep an eye on them and you'll want a very good insurance - my main reason for letting them go (i could buy them when they were still relatively affordable in the early 80's) was that i couldn't get bothered (any longer) using various psu's for location recording or even live mixing and that i don't necessarily prefer tube mics on many instruments; besides, i find that tube preamps are way more flexible as how hard i drive the tube then doesn't depend on how much air the artist is moving in front of the mic but i can dial it in on my side of the window!

imo tube mics are overrated (and some specific models even highly overrated)...
I guess you are right, if you can find one well maintained, it shouldn't be a major problem keeping it in good working conditions.

I agree with being able to push a valve preamp more but personally I find high end tube mic generally fuller at the bottom and smoother on the top end compared to a solid state one no matter the preamp.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Thank you. Poof! My skepticism has disappeared!
From the information you provided, I also realize that you need advice from the few people here with current experience at the altitude where you work. And I am not one of those people.
My best to you and to your future!
Gear Head

Quote:

I like your collection and it seems like we enjoy a lot of similar mics. I too would love to grab one of the Chandler REDD mics and a second TG at some point. The TG is so modern and versatile, I bet a pair of them would cover a lot of fun ground.

I really like my AEA R88. I’ve had a pair of R84’s and the R88 at the same time, thinking I would need two of the R84’s as well. I ended up selling the R84’s, so I would suggesting keeping the one you have and grabbing the R88 as well.

Have you considered some cheaper and uniquely voiced newer mics, or do you want to lean on more vintage/classic designs for some reason (I could care less about “why” you feel that way, just for the sake of keeping this on topic). For instance, I sold a few Neumanns and other boutique clone mics when I started buying Vanguard mics. I just like the Vanguards WAY better, and they were ridiculously cheap in comparison. I’m not saying that will work for you, but worth considering some other newer companies.

I would consider at least one vintage RCA ribbon with your budget. I love my old PB-90, it didn’t cost me a whole lot either. With what you buy and what you plan on recording, I think it would be a good investment.

I don’t know where you’re located, but a trip to a store like Vintage King or something would probably do you good. You’ve got more than enough crap to do what you need to do. Start honing in on a few nice things that you know you’ll really like. Take some time to try a few new things as well and see what happens.

Yes looks like we do have a similar taste in microphones

The REDD really seem to be a mix of vintage flavors and the demos online sounds great! Having another TG would be nice but I think I would be happier adding a fet47 instead to cover more grounds.

I was considering the R88 (also as a room mic because its stereo) and I might just get it. I like the idea of another r84 because lot of time I record brass sections with two saxophones one alto and one tenore.

I honestly never heard of the brand you mentioned but I'll definitely check it out!

Good idea with the RCA but I've had hard time find one affordable and in the conditions that I like. I was looking at the AEA A440 instead and like you suggested since I'm in LA I can pay a visit to VK
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I really don’t care if this guy is telling the truth or what his motives are.
(And no, I don’t remember the homeless guy thread , got a link?)
Really? I’m delighted to get the clear picture (pictures!) of who this “guy” is, where he’s been and where he’s going. I hope that knowledge helps tailor responses to his questions.
So, perhaps being “grumpy” can sometimes get better results than just being “happy” (or any of the five other Gearspace dwarves).
As to that other poster, it is possible that he is both troubled and sincere, so I will decline to identify him in this thread (which might also draw him into this thread).
Gear Head

Quote:
Really? I’m delighted to get the clear picture (pictures!) of who this “guy” is, where he’s been and where he’s going. I hope that knowledge helps tailor responses to his questions.
So, perhaps being “grumpy” can sometimes get better results than just being “happy” (or any of the five other Gearspace dwarves).
As to that other poster, it is possible that he is both troubled and sincere, so I will decline to identify him in this thread (which might also draw him into this thread).
I have to agree with both of you guys and that’s why I didn’t mind “identifying” myself.
Maybe the requests for my credentials were a little bit harsh (you guys are really suspicious!) but telling my backstory definitely does bring more credibility to the post.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I find high end tube mic generally fuller at the bottom and smoother on the top end compared to a solid state one no matter the preamp.
i don't - and i'll use a hpf on most occasions anyway...

...but hey, can't argue with taste!

[well, except that upon listening to a track or fully mixed song, no one in the world can tell what gear was used! not a single mic and even less a preamp, converter etc.]
Gear Head

Quote:
[well, except that upon listening to a track or fully mixed song, no one in the world can tell what gear was used! not a single mic and even less a preamp, converter etc.]
True, but, if I can make an analogy, in the same way no one can tell what exact tools were used to build a house just by looking at the final product; I’m pretty sure the contractors who build it will tell you that they prefer to work with nice Milwaukee tools rather than the cheap Home Depot brand because of durability, precision, repeatability etc..
Just my 2cents
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
True, but, if I can make an analogy, in the same way no one can tell what exact tools were used to build a house just by looking at the final product; I’m pretty sure the contractors who build it will tell you that they prefer to work with nice Milwaukee tools rather than the cheap Home Depot brand because of durability, precision, repeatability etc..
Just my 2cents
imo the analogy is flawed - nevermind, as long as you're not spending my money... ;-)

([ think i could easily do pretty much any job with a ton of schoeps, a dozen multipattern ldc's, a few handhelds and some dynamic mics such as the m-201]
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
wowowow everybody calm down!
I guess Bushman has a point, I never really did introduced myself and it's true that there are lots of trolls around.
Sooo.. since you asked...

My name is Andrea Rastelli, I moved to Los Angeles 10 years ago from Milan Italy where, after finishing high school, I graduated from SAE College and worked for years in music and post productions studios and under Warner Music Italy for several projects.
Since I moved to California I worked a lot as live audio engineer for bands and events as well as still having some sort of home studio for smaller projects. (moving wasn't easy and rent was really expensive!)
Since then I was able to open my own AV, Sound and Lighting productions company and now I finally have the opportunity to build a studio from the ground up and I'm very excited about it.

Not to brag but I do have lots of experience and I probably know already the answer to my own questions about what mic to use in any given situation, but it's always nice to hear other people's opinion that sometimes are real eye opener.

I included pictures and links to my company, Instagram, an interview I did for VoyageLA, me eating pasta with Steve Aoki as well as my old studios setup and the start of the new studio project. I also promise you I'll post a nice picture of all the mics I own nicely lined up. Hope you satisfied!

http://www.padanoproductions.com

http://voyagela.com/interview/meet-a...beverly-hills/

[email protected]

Now lets go back discussing microphones.
a couple of these pics look like the Montage Hotel Ballroom !!! and you need a Roof Bro, it will rain on Friday !!! LOL ....
📝 Reply