The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus studiolive 32sc or other suggestions
Old 27th February 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Presonus studiolive 32sc or other suggestions

Would the Presonus studiolive 32sc be a good choice as the heart of a beginers project studio?
Old 27th February 2022
Lives for gear

The Presonus Studiolive 32sc would be a great choice for a beginner's project studio. It has all the features you need to get started, and it's easy to use. Other suggestions for beginner's project studios would include the Yamaha MG10XU or the Roland Cube Street.
Old 27th February 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Would I benefit from an analog board and a multichannel interface more? For sound quality and upgradability. And is that possible in that price range?
Old 28th February 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I should clarify. I'm not looking for a beginer setup I want to get the best sound I can with a budget of around 2300 dollars. Be it a nice digital mixer with interface or an analog board with an interface. 16 ins would be ideal, or more. Even a control surface and interface. Im a little out of the loop these days with what is good. Lowest possible latency monitoring would be great. Good sounding pres. And the ability to hands on faders mixing would also be great. I know its seems like a lot to ask in that budget but that's why the studio live or an x32 looks so appealing.
Old 28th February 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I ran a studio live 16.4.2 for my first mixer/interface back in 2009. I thought (and still think) it's a great piece for the money. I then upgraded to a Midas M32. Definitely a step up, but also 2.5's the cost. But while I had my SL1642, it did everything I needed. Mind you, this was the first interface/console offering from Presonus. I would have to imagine the newer models are superior now 12 years later, and I would guess it should integrate very well with Studio One if you use that DAW.
Old 28th February 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I use reaper at the moment. I'm thinking of switching to studio one if I choose to go the studiolive 32sc route. I want all the functionality that I can get from the mixer. From my understanding if I would like to upgrade the pres I can integrate a digital stage box with better pres. With all the info online it is very hard to decide the best options considering a lot is preference and opinion.
Old 1st March 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Do yourself a favour and download and listen to these 3 drum track .wav files and tell me how much of a difference you can hear (and post your thoughts).

I'm shamelessly promoting my thread because everybody's too chicken to say which is which, but one of the interfaces used was an Allen & Heath Qu-24 digital mixer; nice pres were used: BAE 312A (API style) and an HA-73 Elite (Neve style). The other was a top of line converter in 2005, the Apogee AD-16x, the other is a Yamaha MT8X cassette multi-tracker.
Apogee AD-16X vs. Qu-24 vs. MT8X

Spend some time listening to this. To me, all of these are perfectly usable; the tape has wow/flutter for sure, and background hum/noise, but they're all remarkably close, to my ears with my monitoring chain.

My point is, if your ears are untrained and your monitoring/room is not up to snuff, you may not hear much of a difference, at least not the "night and day" descriptions that everybody always tosses around here casually.

My advice:

Form follows function. Get whatever is going to be easy to use and meets your needs functionally now and in the next 3-5 years. Spend your money on mics, get good at using them: you'll net more sonic rewards from choosing the right mic and putting it in the right place than you will by swapping in a different preamp.
πŸ“ Reply