The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2nd Generation Focusrite Scarlett problems???
Old 28th January 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
2nd Generation Focusrite Scarlett problems???

Hey, so...

I'm in the market for an ADAT interface which I can couple with my Behringer ADA 8000 so i can get 10 plus channels...

Looks like the Focusrite Scarlett stuff (18i6 and 18i8) are pretty much the only options I'm seeing. There is some Gen 2 stuff online for fairly cheap, but I'm hearing the gen 2's had some issues (particularly with the pads and pres sucked) and that I should just save the headache and pay the extra for the gen 3.

Can anyone chime in with their experience with these units or let me know if there is another adat option??

Thanks.
Old 28th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think Audient ID14 has adat in and the first gen are cheap.

I don't think there are "headaches" with gen 2.
Old 28th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop ➡️
I think Audient ID14 has adat in and the first gen are cheap.

I don't think there are "headaches" with gen 2.
What would be the channel cut off on the id14?? How many would it let you add on, I wonder...
Old 29th January 2022
Gear Head

Strong recommendation to new Focusrite Claret +. Much better than Scarlet. I have used Scarlet 6I6 about 10 years.
The new Claret + was a very positive surprice. I have Claret+ 8Pre. And Focusrite Control is already familiar.
Old 29th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyplayer ➡️
Strong recommendation to new Focusrite Claret +. Much better than Scarlet. I have used Scarlet 6I6 about 10 years.
The new Claret + was a very positive surprice. I have Claret+ 8Pre. And Focusrite Control is already familiar.
Appreciate it!

-T
Old 29th January 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I use a gen 3 Scarlett 8i6. Great interface. No issues so far. If you are recording a lot of vocals or acoustic guitars, then it's worth it to upgrade to the Clarett. I think they are releasing a new Clarett soon. Has much better pre-amps. But if you are spending most of your time on plugins and arrangement, the Scarlett works great. Has all same features.
Old 29th January 2022
Gear Addict

I’m curious where you’re looking that you are only seeing a couple options. There are a lot that I find. https://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB...cHRpY2FsIl19fQ
If that link doesn’t work filter on optical in, but then verify that a particular interface does ADAT and not just spdif
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode ➡️
I use a gen 3 Scarlett 8i6. Great interface. No issues so far. If you are recording a lot of vocals or acoustic guitars, then it's worth it to upgrade to the Clarett. I think they are releasing a new Clarett soon. Has much better pre-amps. But if you are spending most of your time on plugins and arrangement, the Scarlett works great. Has all same features.
You have little bit old information . The new Claret is Claret +

I have the new version, sounds great, much more clear and articulate than Scarlet.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M.A. ➡️
Appreciate it!

-T
You are welcome !
But please believe me, Claret+ is your solution.

I made a mistake after Scarlet, needed more I/O:s and ordered Motu UltraLite- Mk5

Never worked ok, lost many times drivers ( have Win).

I have Universal Amp OX, I use SPDF with inteface, don´t work.

Back to Focusrite...suddenly all works.

Regards
Kari
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
You have little bit old information . The new Claret is Claret +

I have the new version, sounds great, much more clear and articulate than Scarlet.
the article linked is from Sept 2021. what i don't like about a USB powered interface. I prefer for it to draw it's own power from the wall install of via DAW.
Old 30th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
the article linked is from Sept 2021. what i don't like about a USB powered interface. I prefer for it to draw it's own power from the wall install of via DAW.
I'd like to know more about that (usb vs wall powered)...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M.A. ➡️
I'd like to know more about that (usb vs wall powered)...
I think the less things you have drawing power from your computer, the better. If you are mobile on a laptop, you don't have much choice. i use primarily a desktop DAW. i guess you could use a USB hub that is powered from its own adapter. i used to use one but got rid of it. i felt it was adding more quirks and issues with USB connected devices.
Gear Head

Quote:
I think the less things you have drawing power from your computer, the better. If you are mobile on a laptop, you don't have much choice. i use primarily a desktop DAW. i guess you could use a USB hub that is powered from its own adapter. i used to use one but got rid of it. i felt it was adding more quirks and issues with USB connected devices.
Focusrite Claret+ has an own power supply.
• AC mains cable with IEC connector

It´s not USP powered.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Focusrite Claret+ has an own power supply.
• AC mains cable with IEC connector

It´s not USP powered.
Sweet! Thank you!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
yeah, i tend to agree with this logic. I was already kinda leaning in that direction, but thanks for the support/ reminder!!
📝 Reply