Quantcast
SSL2 audio interface. Solid State Logic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL2 audio interface. Solid State Logic
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
SSL2 audio interface. Solid State Logic

How do people feel about SSL new product releases? They seem to be now selling interfaces at Mackie prices.
Me personally I’m becoming weary of buying anything ssl for pro recording now. It’s a shame. One of the interfaces in question is $200 that’s lower than an Edirol!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cheaper than Edirol, and way better, too.

They’re great little devices. We’re spoilt for choice in that regard nowadays.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
How is it possible to get good components and labour for this price? Are we then paying too much for pro level equipment
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry miller ➡️
How is it possible to get good components and labour for this price? Are we then paying too much for pro level equipment
Really good design, taking advantage of technological manufacturing advancements and machinery which allow for better quality for cheaper, an intelligent and streamlined manufacturing pipeline, a good relationship and constant contact with a high-quality manufacturing plant in the Far East, larger volume manufacturing...

I mean, this is the same with literally any electronic device on the market. Better, larger brands can do better for the same price than smaller brands, or that care less about quality.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry miller ➡️
. One of the interfaces in question is $200 that’s lower than an Edirol!
Edirol???

I haven't thought of that name for a long while... I bought an Edirol FA101 about 15 years ago... do they even make anything lately?

As to SSL yes they are certainly using the big name to get some attention in the lower end interface market.

Many companies make a range of product, think of say Fender amps. They make the $79.99 Frontman cheapie starter amp and the 57' Custom Twin for $3299.99.

The $79 Frontman is no indication that the $3299 Twin isn't a solidly built high end product and the existance of the Twin doesn't necessarily make the $79 Frontman better than many other cheap starter amps around.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I think the preamps are kind of interesting, unique, if a bit soft sounding. I ultimately preferred the MOTU M4.

The DAC on the SSL (speaker outputs) I found painfully bright, I just hated the way it sounded. Again I preferred the M4.

When I got the SSL, and for this reason you might want to wait for Christmas bundles... I got 4 free SSL plugins. Now, that's darn cool, and a great value.

The sound of the SSL didn't work for me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I got the SSL2 for my son. It's a great interface for the money. Paired with Genelec 8010 and an old AKG condenser and he's sorted for a while to come. I haven't experienced any of the distortion that people mention but Im guessing its down to gear compatibility. We are truly spoilt in this day and age.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SSL has been on an incredible run with new products:
SSL SiX
SSL UltraViolet
SSL Fusion
SSL Plugins

The SSL 2 is a welcome $200 contender. It has a dedicated controller for every function. One function = one control. No menu switching or dual-use controls. That's hard to find on an interface at that price point. Plus you get valuable software included with the purchase.

Last edited by gearstudent; 1 week ago at 03:20 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
MOTU M2/M4 also has one function per control.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Motu M2 is another welcome addition to the $200 price point. I think the SSL 2 wins the entire category on ergonomics. SSL managed to make the interface compact yet also spacious. That big giant volume knob is incredible and has plenty of space around it, the sloped design maximizes ease of use on a desktop (which is where most of these devices land), and the layout is impeccable.

The Motu M2 might sound slightly better, because the SSL 2 put money into the 4k emulation and that money could have been put elsewhere. I honestly don't know. But I do know this: competition from high quality companies benefits the consumer: us!
📝 Reply